Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430
Diamond SRH320A  HT Ant - 2/220/430 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: The Diamond SRH320A is a tri-band HT antenna for 2 meters, 220 and 430 MHz. It is 13.5 inches (35 cm) tall and weighs about 1 ounce (30 g). This semi-flexible antenna is black with bottom and center loading coils. This 50 ohm antenna can handle up to 10 watts.
The SRH320A is a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and 220 MHz, a 1/2 wave on 430 MHz. This antenna terminates to a 50 ohm SMA. It is also suitable for wideband receivers which feature an SMA connector. It is also optimized for receive on the 120, 150, 300, 450 and 900 MHz bands. Made in Japan.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/0454.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430.

KK4PLD Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2014 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Good alternative  Time owned: more than 12 months

I paired this antenna with a Yaesu VX6R. This antenna is a vast improvement in gain over the OEM antenna. I was able to hear some stations on simplex marginally better than using the stock one. I would recommend buying and using this over what is supplied by the manufacturer for your HT.

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If I could give it 10 points, I would. Perfect antenna for the Kenwood TH-F6A HT. The stock rubber duck works but this is like color TV compared to black and white, for those of us who recall those days. I can hit Mt. Diablo using 5 watts from my home QTH, almost 85 bird miles. Loud and clear. I highly recommend this antenna, I've had it for 4 years now and it's holding up well. Tremendous performer.

KC9YFM Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 17:01 Send this review to a friend
By far the best HT antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna a few months ago because I had really been needing a really good HT antenna that would last me a long time. When I first put this on my radio, the difference could be noticed immediately. Compared to other antennas like ExpertPower that I had been using for a while, this one just blew them out of the water. I live right on the edge of my local repeater, and all of the previous antennas I used were marginal at best, and I had to go outside of my house to successfully get into the repeater. However with this antenna, I can now go anywhere inside my house and get the strong signal tail tone. Not only that, but I can even go in my basement and it still works great! It's truly astonishing to me that an antenna can perform so well. Both VHF and UHF bands perform great, and I haven't noticed any kinds of issues with the antenna.

Even though it's relatively large in length, the upper portion of the antenna is very thin which gives you the illusion that it's smaller than it really is. Because it's so flimsy, it seems like it would be really delicate, but it's able to bend back to its original shape no matter how bad you bend it. I couldn't really tell you how extreme you have to bend it to where it won't go back (because I don't want to try), but so far it has always been able to go back. It also looks very good on the small HTs that we have nowadays. It doesn't make your radio look lopsided with a huge antenna. It performs very well and it looks very good.

The $50 price tag should not deter you from buying this. It is literally the single best performing HT antenna I have ever seen, and you won't be disappointed. I wouldn't say that if I wasn't 100% certain that it's the best. You really do get what you pay for in this case.

K7RFW Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Much better than the stock Kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have only used this on 2m and 440cm, and most of the testing was related to 440cm. While I do notice a bit better 2m repeater contact in shadow areas, with 440cm there is a spot that I have worked a marathon three times past years. The first year I had the stock antenna on the TH-F6 and had to go to my spare battery before the end of the day since I had to use 5 watts to make the repeater and hold the radio just right. The next two times with the SRH320A I ran at 0.5 watts and had no trouble with the repeater, and the battery lasted all day. I did test the two antennas when I first had the SRH320A and the original TH-F6 antenna was still working the same as the year before.

Doing bicycle mobile, I had to take the radio out of the backpack on most of the parade route but with the SRH320A, I can leave it in the backpack for most of the route.

However, a mag mount on the roof blows this away but then I can not shadow an official that way, so I guess I will keep using the SRH320A.

Oh, there is one issue. Compared to the stock antenna this is over twice as long with the attendant getting in the way of a longer antenna. But that is one of the tradeoffs.

Ray
K7RFW

AD7C Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 21:20 Send this review to a friend
A great rubber-duck replacer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Antenna works well. Using it on a vx-6r and it is much better, by far, than the stock antenna. Construction quality is good.

I am able to get into local repeaters using less power and the rx has impoved. I have bent the whip pretty bad a few times and it always returns to its original shape.

If you are looking for a good replacement antenna this is a quality choice. Even though it has a higher price than others... it's worth it.

Rich
Ad7c

K0JEG Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Better than others  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tested using APRS while riding a bike in town on a somewhat usual route. Previously I've used a Maldol MH-510 and a Diamond SRH-519 in the same area. Setup is a TH-d72 with smart beaconing enabled. I was picked up more often with this antenna then with the SRH-519 (as expected), and about as well as with the MH-510. I was even heard direct from a digipeater 50KM away, recorded by http://aprs.fi. It is much lighter and rig-friendly than the MH-510 though. The top mounted matching coil on the MH-510 feels like it is putting extra stress on the antenna connector, and of course does nothing on 2 meters, I got none of that feeling from the SRH320a.

When I first put it on the radio I had to bump up the squelch a notch or so. I take that to mean it is better at picking up RF energy than the SRH-519.

It is a large antenna. It is an expensive antenna ($50 just seems steep). It does find it's way into your armpit when your HT is on your belt. But it works.

M6AOC Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2011 05:12 Send this review to a friend
A powerful antenna that acts like a homebase verticle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one great antenna. Being in the UK, Great Britain I had a problem finding a dealer however I found one in the US. I have an icom 92d HT. The rubber duck did what it was meant to do but it was no way a great antenna. My new antenna came this morning after waiting about 2 weeks and came in a square box with the antenna in a yellow sleeve. It is 35cm in leigh and does not look out of place. On the yellow sleeve its says the gain on 70cm is 15dbi. There is a repeater about 25 miles away. I am in a valley surrounded by houses. I could never open the repeater. Now the reason I gave this a 5. Sitting on the sofa inside the house I can open this repeater. It's mad. Even with the mobile car antenna I could never do that. Rx is very good. I can pick up signals that I could not do with my stock antenna. This is one powerful antenna.

N8RWS Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2011 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Super tri-band HT antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am very pleased with this antenna. It outperforms the stock duck in both RX and TX. Would recommend it to a friend..

Jeff

AK3Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2010 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Tri-Band TX  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update after two years (see KJ4AXU review) and the antennas have performed exceptionally well on 2 meter, 220, and 440. Also listen to police and fire bands with it. Worked Paddlefest in Cincinnati this year and worked up and down the river with just this for an antenna and it worked great. Other folks had areas where they dropped out, but I made solid contacts throughout. Probably going to get a third one for another handheld. Recommended to several friends and they are quite pleased as well.

W9DAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2010 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Great choice for TH-F6A  Time owned: more than 12 months
Based on my previous experience with Diamond products, I decided to buy the SRH320A at the same time that I purchased my TH-F6A. I have never regretted it. Performance is far better than the stock Kenwood antenna on all frequencies that it is designed to work.

Factory specs:
It is also optimized for receive on the 120, 150, 300, 450 and 900 MHz bands.

My SRH320A is a fine TX/RX antenna on 144/220/440. It also receives very well on the air bands as well as VHF and UHF public service frequencies. Just like Diamond said it would. I can't rate it on any other bands because I haven't used it there.

If you have a TH-F6A and need improved performance on all 3 bands I can recommend it without hesitation.