Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430
Diamond SRH320A  HT Ant - 2/220/430 Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: The Diamond SRH320A is a tri-band HT antenna for 2 meters, 220 and 430 MHz. It is 13.5 inches (35 cm) tall and weighs about 1 ounce (30 g). This semi-flexible antenna is black with bottom and center loading coils. This 50 ohm antenna can handle up to 10 watts.
The SRH320A is a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and 220 MHz, a 1/2 wave on 430 MHz. This antenna terminates to a 50 ohm SMA. It is also suitable for wideband receivers which feature an SMA connector. It is also optimized for receive on the 120, 150, 300, 450 and 900 MHz bands. Made in Japan.

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430.

VE6ICE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 20:10 Send this review to a friend
VSWR Test Results  Time owned: more than 12 months
Always had good results with this antenna. The tests were done on a Rohde & Schwarz ZVH8 Antenna tester using an N Male-to-SMA Female adapter. No doubt the adapter introduces some reflection, so actual performance will be slightly better than reported here. Also see my review of the Diamond SRH77CA for comparison, as those tests were done with the same test setup on the same day.

Diamond SRH320A 2m/1.25m/70cm (Yellow Bag) Genuine
VSWR = 1:2.8/1:3.0/1:3.4 @ 144/146/148MHz
VSWR = 1:1.4/1:1.5/1:1.6 @ 222/223.5/225MHz
VSWR = 1:2.9/1:1.3/1:2.7 @ 420/435/450MHz

Minimum peaks in VSWR:
1:1.6/1:1.1/1.2 @ 180/210/437MHz

So performs as advertised I would say.
KD2ACO Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 17:21 Send this review to a friend
works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Kenwood TH-F6A that works very well. I was looking for a little more gain and picked up the Diamond SRH320A. I noticed right away being able to hit the repeaters in the area (NYC) solidly with lower power than with the stock antenna. Where I used to have to run on high power for full quieting (5W), I can now hit with low power (0.5w). The radio doesn't fit in the shirt pocket anymore, but being able to run all day on a battery charge is very nice.
N4ZN Rating: 3/5 Jan 1, 2016 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Meh.......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Guess it would make a decent replacement to a lost, or broken, OEM duck. I bought one along with the purchase of a yeasu vx-6r, due to reading reviews posted here. I'm just not seeing the magical awesomeness that everyone else seems to be experiencing. Either the kenwood ducks really suck, the yeasu ducks kind of suck, or the antenna I received just plain sucks compared to others rolling off the same line at the plant.
My performance experience was that the diamond, compared to the stock antenna, was that the diamond had such a "maybe" dicernable difference.... Perhaps only because of an almost double length from the stock duck. The best I could detect was a minuscule reduction in the sizzle on a fringe repeater. Certainly not worth $50. And, I purchased the radio for its submersible capability. Something I doubt the diamond has. My plans were to plasti-dip from the tip, to half way of the base. Glad I tested it before the modification! Like one of the other reviewers stated, better to put your money towards an extra battery. Amen.
N2XPM Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2015 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Best Money Spent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am nuts about antennas. I have tried so many and this product is by far "THE BEST" on my Yaesu FT-60. It performs flawlessly. I am able to hear repeaters with better signal strength and get into area repeaters on low power "Full Quiet" something that I haven't been able to do in a long time. This HT Antenna is "The Goods" in performance. It's well built.
KK6PA Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2015 14:34 Send this review to a friend
diamond SRH320 triband HT antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the antenna for several years. Last week I got curious about whether it was REALLY a good antenna that the Mfr claims. Turns out it's pretty darn good. I compared it to my TH-F6 HT original antenna. I set up my field strength meter and went thru all three bands comparing the two antennas.
Two mtrs: The Diamond was margionally better than the Original. The meter showed 50 for the original and 70 with the Diamond.
222 MHz: Set the meter to show zero with the orginal. The Diamond pegged the meter.
440 Mhz: Set the meter to show zero with the original. The Diamond didn't peg it but the reading was 75. The meter scale max is 100. Definitely better.

'Nuf said?? :-)
KK4PLD Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2014 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Good alternative  Time owned: more than 12 months

I paired this antenna with a Yaesu VX6R. This antenna is a vast improvement in gain over the OEM antenna. I was able to hear some stations on simplex marginally better than using the stock one. I would recommend buying and using this over what is supplied by the manufacturer for your HT.
KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If I could give it 10 points, I would. Perfect antenna for the Kenwood TH-F6A HT. The stock rubber duck works but this is like color TV compared to black and white, for those of us who recall those days. I can hit Mt. Diablo using 5 watts from my home QTH, almost 85 bird miles. Loud and clear. I highly recommend this antenna, I've had it for 4 years now and it's holding up well. Tremendous performer.
KC9YFM Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 17:01 Send this review to a friend
By far the best HT antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna a few months ago because I had really been needing a really good HT antenna that would last me a long time. When I first put this on my radio, the difference could be noticed immediately. Compared to other antennas like ExpertPower that I had been using for a while, this one just blew them out of the water. I live right on the edge of my local repeater, and all of the previous antennas I used were marginal at best, and I had to go outside of my house to successfully get into the repeater. However with this antenna, I can now go anywhere inside my house and get the strong signal tail tone. Not only that, but I can even go in my basement and it still works great! It's truly astonishing to me that an antenna can perform so well. Both VHF and UHF bands perform great, and I haven't noticed any kinds of issues with the antenna.

Even though it's relatively large in length, the upper portion of the antenna is very thin which gives you the illusion that it's smaller than it really is. Because it's so flimsy, it seems like it would be really delicate, but it's able to bend back to its original shape no matter how bad you bend it. I couldn't really tell you how extreme you have to bend it to where it won't go back (because I don't want to try), but so far it has always been able to go back. It also looks very good on the small HTs that we have nowadays. It doesn't make your radio look lopsided with a huge antenna. It performs very well and it looks very good.

The $50 price tag should not deter you from buying this. It is literally the single best performing HT antenna I have ever seen, and you won't be disappointed. I wouldn't say that if I wasn't 100% certain that it's the best. You really do get what you pay for in this case.
K7RFW Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Much better than the stock Kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have only used this on 2m and 440cm, and most of the testing was related to 440cm. While I do notice a bit better 2m repeater contact in shadow areas, with 440cm there is a spot that I have worked a marathon three times past years. The first year I had the stock antenna on the TH-F6 and had to go to my spare battery before the end of the day since I had to use 5 watts to make the repeater and hold the radio just right. The next two times with the SRH320A I ran at 0.5 watts and had no trouble with the repeater, and the battery lasted all day. I did test the two antennas when I first had the SRH320A and the original TH-F6 antenna was still working the same as the year before.

Doing bicycle mobile, I had to take the radio out of the backpack on most of the parade route but with the SRH320A, I can leave it in the backpack for most of the route.

However, a mag mount on the roof blows this away but then I can not shadow an official that way, so I guess I will keep using the SRH320A.

Oh, there is one issue. Compared to the stock antenna this is over twice as long with the attendant getting in the way of a longer antenna. But that is one of the tradeoffs.

AD7C Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 21:20 Send this review to a friend
A great rubber-duck replacer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Antenna works well. Using it on a vx-6r and it is much better, by far, than the stock antenna. Construction quality is good.

I am able to get into local repeaters using less power and the rx has impoved. I have bent the whip pretty bad a few times and it always returns to its original shape.

If you are looking for a good replacement antenna this is a quality choice. Even though it has a higher price than others... it's worth it.