Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430
Diamond SRH320A  HT Ant - 2/220/430 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: The Diamond SRH320A is a tri-band HT antenna for 2 meters, 220 and 430 MHz. It is 13.5 inches (35 cm) tall and weighs about 1 ounce (30 g). This semi-flexible antenna is black with bottom and center loading coils. This 50 ohm antenna can handle up to 10 watts.
The SRH320A is a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and 220 MHz, a 1/2 wave on 430 MHz. This antenna terminates to a 50 ohm SMA. It is also suitable for wideband receivers which feature an SMA connector. It is also optimized for receive on the 120, 150, 300, 450 and 900 MHz bands. Made in Japan.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/0454.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430.

KN4X Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2010 23:14 Send this review to a friend
As Advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
The SRH320A is typical of Diamond Antennas. If you want the best on VHF/UHF, get out your wallet, and don't be shy.

It's the bomb. I wouldn't part with it. To reiterate what some have said earlier:
DO NOT BUY THIS IF SW / AM BROADCAST RECEIVE IS YOUR "THING". Dreadful below AIR band (of which it is GREAT at). Again, As Advertised. Diamond makes no bones about the optimization of the antenna for 3 Amateur bands and 5 receive bands starting at air. Vertex products (and others) with wide receivers will work GREAT AT AND ABOVE the air band.

AMAZING difference on 70cm. Has a taper from stout at the lower loading coil, upward to a very fine upper section. I find it comfortable to wear on my VX-6R after removing the pitiful new Vertex clip and putting on an "old style" Vertex upside-down and out belt clip. The clip gives it just enough pitch away from the body to make it comfortable. Very light and durable.

The moral of the SRH320A story is:

1. Read the manufacturers description and specs and don't EXPECT more.

2. You get what you PAY for with Diamond.

David

K6QT Rating: 3/5 Mar 12, 2010 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Works OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to be honest and say that this is really a comparison of the SRH320A with the big brother SRH999. I originally bought the 320A because I wanted an antenna that would work specifically with 1.25 M, but I found out that the 999 actually works better on 1.25, even though it's not designed to work with it specifically. I'd much rather have a bunch of 999's for all my radios than 320A's, actually. But for all that, I have to be fair and say it's a good antenna. Just doesn't work as well as the 999, which I'd readily purchase, even though it's a bit bigger. With this one on a 1.25 radio, my son can't hit repeaters as well as with the 999.

KC9QQM Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2009 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Fairly Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While I know it is marketed as a VHF/UHF triband antenna I had hoped it would work in HR for receive on my 6R, but it is dead. I have to put on the stock antenna to receive anything below FM broadcast. Not really a fault of the antenna but I do like to do some SW listening...

KJ4PXH Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2009 09:56 Send this review to a friend
A fantastic Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews on this antenna i brought one for my Kenwood TH-F6 and you the difference specks for itself i can now work repeaters on 2 watts and get lot better reports then the Antenna that came with the radio.
Well worth the Money.

KC2IGY Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2008 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna for my VX-6R after reading all the glowing reports on here. While the antenna works well on all 3 bands, I'm not seeing the huge improvement that everyone else seems to have experienced. At best, I see a slight improvement on 2M and 440, and slightly greater improvement on 220. The receive on the AM air band is excellent, but the antenna is completely deaf below the FM broadcast band. It's a good antenna, but I'm not sure it was worth spending $50 on it since my improvements have been very modest.

N5DXL Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2008 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews I ordered the SRH320A and let me say it's nite and day to the rubber
duck stock antenna.
I tested it head to head with the stock antenna and the Diamond won hands down.
No it's not cheap but it does work very good, oh yes it's long but deal with it.

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2008 00:36 Send this review to a friend
A must have for a Kenwood TH-F6A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this at the same time as my Kenwood TH-F6A. It's not cheap but it's worth every penny. It blows the stock Kenwood antenna out of the water. I highly recommend the Diamond SRH320A.

AB1HU Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2007 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna to replace stock duckie on VX-6R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a Diamond SRH-320A when I bought my new HT (a Yaesu VX-6R) because I was sick of the constant trouble I had getting in to repeaters using a rubber ducky. I have been quite happy with it. I've never gotten any reports of weak signal from a repeater when I'm running at five watts, and I can often hit them with 1 watt or 300 milliwatts. (I'm near downtown Pittsburgh, and some of the repeaters are nearby, but some are farther away.) I've heard it's good among omnidirectional antennas for working AO-51, but I haven't had any success with that yet

It's just over a foot long, so it often ends up hitting my armpit when the radio is on my belt, which is annoying. (I'm willing to trade this for the better signal, though.) It's built well, and has a large enough base that it doesn't put large stresses on the radio's connector. It's flexible, but always seems to be bent a little in some direction (but it's never permanent). Also, at $50, it's a little expensive, but not worse than the competition. If you're getting a radio that does 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm, and you want an aftermarket antenna (which you do), you should strongly consider this one.

W1JCM Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2007 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Awesome, great antenna !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Night and day compared to my Icom IC-91D stock antenna, I can hit repeaters 20 miles away from my windowless basement and when outside it almost doubles the range. It is a little big to carry around at ham fests where I cut the power to .5 watts and the OEM antenna works just fine. Well worth every penny if you want to get the most out of your HT.

Jim

KD7SET Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2007 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great RX on the F6A!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow! The improvement in the RX on my F6A is worth the price alone. I just bought this antenna yesterday and have not run it though its paces yet but like I said, the RX alone is worth it. It seems to be well built, and mounts to the radio very neatly. It is long, but I knew that when I bought it at HRO. I paid $50.00 for it.

Mark.