Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Wavenode WN-1 PC controlled HF-UHF wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Wavenode WN-1 PC controlled HF-UHF wattmeter
Wavenode WN-1 PC controlled HF-UHF wattmeter Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $190.00
Description: WaveNode uses your PC's computing power to provide the Amateur Radio operator with the precision RF Power, SWR, and DC measurement on four remote sensors. Easy setup and operation. Graphical presentation of data is intuitive and powerful.

More info: http://www.wavenode.com

You can write your own review of the Wavenode WN-1 PC controlled HF-UHF wattmeter.

AB7R Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2004 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Now even better!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just an update on the wavenode system. I've had absolutely no problems with this system at all. The only limitation was that it required a native (378/278) LPT port.
The new version 2.0 software now overcomes this by allowing use of any add-on LPT card by assigning the resource address in a user block in the configuration menu.
This overcomes my limitiation using this at the same time as an SO2R interface requiring access to the LPT port for sending messages and switching radios.
New software also has an audio tuning mode for visually impaired hams and a mini-screen where you can hide the rest of the screen and just see the power and swr for each sensor.
This setup moitors my whole station of 2 HF rigs, VHF and UHF at the same time.

Highly recommended!

Greg
AB7R

AB7R Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2004 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Most Versatile meter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In hope of getting my shack back to what it once was I wanted an SWR/Watt meter that could handle more than one rig. But I also enjoy QRP. When I first looked into the Wavenode system there was no QRP feature. I think it required about 20W for accuracy.
Well I guess I wasn't the only one looking for that feature as Alan later came out with both QRP and a high power (8KW) sensors.
So far this unit has been great. You can connect up to 4 sensors and monitor them all at the same time; SWR, PWR both FWD and REF in peak and avg at the same time, bar graph and digital readout of power and SWR. Easily configurable range limits for each meter on the computer make the display very easy to use.
The ONLY drawback to me is the requirement for using an LPT port with a native address like 378 or 278. Most computers these days only have one LPT port. If you like SO2R contesting and have a controller hooked up to the LPT port, you can't use both at the same time. I'm trying to find a PCI card with LPT port that will use 378 or 278 addresses. But the system is so go it still warrants a 5!
I was also getting a little bit of noise from the main controller on the radio. A snap on ferrite cured it easily.
There's other features I have not used yet such as a high SWR cutout. For the money, you just can't beat this meter. And if you have any questions, Alan is right there to help out....unless of course he's on vacation in the Grand Canyon again. hihi.

73 and GL
Greg
AB7R

K5SF Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2004 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Great for the glass cockpit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the WN-1 now for about 4 months. I¡¯ve set my station up as a ¡®glass cockpit¡¯ with three monitors not including the radio¡¯s monitor. The WN-1 fits into this kind of system very well. I don¡¯t have meters and switches all over. The computers do it all.

These units do very well to monitor the station antennas. I use an old p4-266 laptop for the display. Have one HF sensor before and one after the amplifier. I like the ability to see a large display with all the monitoring inputs. With one screen up near the operating position, I can see at a glance how the antennas are doing, what the amplification factor is, the 12V supply voltage and current draw. The unit is flexible enough for me to set up lockouts for the amplifier or radio if the SWR gets too high. It has the ability to monitor other things besides the RF sensors.

Service is excellent, my unit lost the supply current function. Wavenode was quick to respond. Sent the control unit back where they fixed the unit quickly with improved components to prevent it from happening again. This fix is in all current shipping units.

This is overall a very good station accessory. I would recommend the WN-1. The unit is flexible, It is improving with software updates and the company is standing behind it.

Rich
K5SF

K6SGH Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2004 21:50 Send this review to a friend
It really does make your old meters obsolete.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the WaveNode system at the recent dx conference at Visalia. The system uses multiple rf sensors connected at a variety of points in your station to generate multiple output displays. For example, I have placed one sensor at the output of my FT 1000D and another at the output of my 1000 watt amplifier. I can watch a real time histogram, or bar-graph, of samples in any combination of peak/average power from both outputs at the same time on multiple graphs. This way I can observe the input and output power of the linear in lovely graphical formats on my computer monitor. Additionally, I can divide the input into the output and display that result on another graph showing gain and the linearity of my system.

Real time swr per sensor, dc power and a variety of other displays can also be shown. You can also plot the swr of your antennas over a range of frequencies and display the result graphically. There are several user definable controls that can be monitored and many other features I haven抰 yet explored.

It takes a bit of time to find the combination of charts you find most useful, but once you do, as I have, you will put your various meters away in the closet. True, you must have your computer on to use WaveNode, so if you rarely turn on your computer, you抎 best stick with traditional meters. But if your computer is as essential to you as your antenna tuner, I highly recommend WaveNode.

WD5Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2004 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product And Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This product is so much more than just a watt meter. I use it to monitor power out/SWR of my exciter and transistor HF amp that I built, the amp by itself does not have protection from antenna problems. I have the amp protected by using the WN-1's swr protection function which will shutdown the amp's transmission in case of an antenna problem, this is set to your preferred swr rating. I also monitor my power supply voltage from the Astron power supplies used, this will let me know if the voltage is out of my preferred range, also how much the voltage drops when the amp is in use. I went a little further, I monitor all four module bias voltages inside my amp with the WN-1, this is helpful in case of a module failure. I learned the hard way by having a module fail (due to a short inside of the amp while building), in my case I could see differences in bias voltages, so with the WN-1 I had the capability to monitor this and took advantage. I still went further, I wanted to control my amp with the provided logic in the WN-1, I built a TTL to relay control board and mounted it in the WN-1. This was not expensive at all to build, I now can turn the amp on/off and also put it into standby mode from the computer. All of this is on my computer along with the TS2000 control software. I have all of this on one screen. I had alot of help from Alan, the support was great. The amp I have in use with this is a 1 KW Skymaster, no problems with RF in the equipment at all. I am very pleased with this product with support and look forward to ordering more remote sensors in the future. Thanks for reading and 73's.
WD5Y
Joe Torrey

N5LPT Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2004 23:58 Send this review to a friend
Best metering system I have ever used.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many different power/SWR meters over the years and the WaveNode WN-1 PC controlled HF-UHF metering system gives me more information about what is actually happening from the transmitter to the antenna. I have three individual RF sensors in the chain (system allows up to four and may be configured to add an additional 4 sensors to be used through out the shack). I have one 2KW sensor between the radio and amplifier which reads on the 200 watt scale, then I have an 8KW sensor between the amplifier and tuner (this one is placed there in order to be able to test the condition of the Alpha 99 into a fixed load) and then I placed another 2KW sensor between the tuner and antenna. Now I know that you are really not supposed to place an SWR meter between the tuner and antenna since the tuner and antenna become become part of the same network, but this is not just an SWR/Watt metering device. It is more like a complete station monitoring system complete with graph plotting, gain measurements and quality performance monitoring. For instance, I can look at my station elapsed RF power (Watt-Hours) of each piece of equipment. I can plot VSWR curves on all of my antenna systems. I can adjust my amplifier for maximum gain while making sure the linearity is maintained and this can be seen by the histogram chart of the sampled RF and comparing it with the other sensors in the system.. And of course, I can select any sensor to alarm when VSWR reaches the user defined level. I can look at any point in thr RF chain to see what losses may be occuring like for instance when the tuner is in line and actively coupling with various antenna arrays. On certain bands , depending of what antenna I am feeding and how close to resonance it may actually be, I find that I have virtually no losses through the tuner. In fact, sometimes I can see a very slight increase in forward power going out to the antenna. Each sensor/meter gives you the forward and reflected power on a bar graph and numerically, and it computes the resulting VSWR and shows you a pie chart as well an a numerical value.

I have also used the SWR plotting graphs to help the design engineer of my two element 5 band Quad antenna system. I wanted to fine tune each band to resonate precisely in the middle of the portions of the band where I will operate primarily. I was able to provide detailed plot curves for each band, giving him the data needed to advise me in the final tuning process of the array. I ultimately need to only slightly shorten some of the elements and adjust the phasing lines on the others. He said that he very much liked the graphs I provided him and was interested in the system used to collect the data.

In conclusion, having used the WaveNode WN-1 PC controlled HF-UHF metering system, I have learned so much more about my station performance from the XMTR to antenna. And also, Alan is always open to suggestions from users about what features might be desired in future software enhancement upgrades.

Mark Low