Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-731A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-731A
Kenwood TM-731A Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $TM-731A
Description: 2 m/70 cm dualband FM transceiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-731A.

KB9BPF Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2005 20:10 Send this review to a friend
I liked mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used one for several years in my mobile. Then I got a new car that had little underdash space so I got a used TM-732 and put it in. Like that radio too.

Only actual gripe is that the numbers rubbed off the keypad in a pretty short time. Finally ordered a new rubber keyboard piece from Kenwood.

I sold my 731 to a very good friend who isn't very active. After a few years of it sitting on his shelf he hooked it up and it was dead. So I offered to take a crack at repairing it. Found that the tiny little 16V electrolytic caps were starting to ooze. In fact, some of the electrolyte got between a couple traces on the circuit board and was shorting out a +8V supply. Wasn't too real hard to find, and once i did it was easy to replace the little caps with some slightly larger 25V jobs, though I had to lean them on their side against the PC board.

Just a little tip for any owners of dead 731s.

WB2THV Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2004 06:13 Send this review to a friend
Keeps going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the '731A new back in 1990. Never had a problem with it. There were a period of years where it was just sitting in a box when I moved. As was whole "Ham" station.

One day I mounted it in the truck and it worked fine. Excellent audio reports.

I did have to replace the CR2032 battery (after 14 years memory wasn't saving). I modified that to make the CR2032 more accessible in the future. Even if someday I get a new dual-bander, I will have the '731A as a backup/second rig.

I added the TSU-6 CTCSS decoder and a new backlit Kenwood mic.

KB9VXQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2004 01:00 Send this review to a friend
Great older radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked this one up used about 1 yr. ago. Has worked flawlessly. Easy to program is a big plus. It's only drawback is it only has 20 standard memories. 10 for each band. Other than that you can't beat it. Mine has been modded for crossband repeat which works well.

N3GOO Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2004 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Good solid dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned one for about 10 years now, only problems were some bad solder joints in the microphone (easily repaired by me). Moved it from the car to the shack after buying a TM-733A. Working fine to this day, easy to program, good sensitivity in and out of band, always get good signal reports. Works great as 1200 baud packet (APRS) base station, as well.
Recommended!

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2004 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Seems fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this secondhand for under $200. Easy to program as was its predecessor, the TM-721, which I have also owned.

Works fine so far. No major complaints. Programming was a snap.