Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Link700 - Radio Memory Management Program Help

Reviews Summary for Link700 - Radio Memory Management Program
Link700 - Radio Memory Management Program Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $35
Description: Link700 is a program that will allow users of Kenwood (and maybe other non-Kenwood radios in the future) transceivers that support computer data transfer to download all the data settings of their radio, edit and modify data, upload the data, and save settings to a disk file.

Features:

* Support for TH-D7, TM-D700 , TM-G707 and TH-F6/7 radios.
* Multiple "profiles" may be opened at a time.
* "Smart Upload" feature. Keeps track of data you have modified and allows you to upload only the data that has changed, a real time saver.
* Data in menus are organized in the same order as in the radio menus, so data fields are easy to find.
* Cut-n-paste blocks of channels. You can move frequencies around within the channel space of the radio -or- copy to another profile. You can even copy from one type of radio to another, e.g. from a TH-D7 to a TM-D700, or vice versa.
* Sort blocks of channels by frequency or name.
* Import frequencies from ARRL's "Travel Plus for Repeaters"*.
* Edit a .file from "Travel Plus for Repeaters"*.
* "Quick" Time Set for TM-D700
* "Quick Message". Type in an APRS message and send it to the radio( TM-D700 and TH-D7).
* NEW! Drag-n-drop channel copying.
More info: http://www.wa3hrl.com/link700/

You can write your own review of the Link700 - Radio Memory Management Program.

W7AUM Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2009 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Works Great - Excellent Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
This program makes programming the Kenwood TH-F6 a breeze. I was in NYC visiting my son and it took so long to program it manually. This program made it easy. I had forgotten that I needed to set the radio to "PC" and Anthony Parise
reminded me what I needed to do very quickly via email.

KE5RAD Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2008 20:52 Send this review to a friend
I'm Disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So, what IS happening with Link 700 ??

I keep a set of "master" frequencies in MS Excel for use in programming various radios and scanners. No two manufacturers (or radios) use the same database field/record configuration, but in Excel, I can cut and paste columns and move things around fairly easily. Thinking that Link 700 would be a great program for my Kenwood rigs, I downloaded my copy in November 2007 but had problems importing from .csv files, following the instructions as shown on the website. The author and I exchanges several e-mails and he said:

"I have to appologize. I just recalled that the reason I did not post this info previously was because I made some improvements to the way link700 reads .CSV files, and it looks like you ran into one of the situations where it had trouble in version 1.1.4.5. I will have to create a new installable version of link700 for you to continue. Sorry."

Next he told me "I have to re-write a few components as I lost them when my computer crashed. In the mean time, if you are using Kenwood's program or can use it, if you send me one of those files with the frequencies in it, I can see if I can move it over into a TH-D7 format. Or, if you have a spreadsheet, I will try to use that."

I then e-mailed him a file, which he was kind enough to convert into a file I could upload and stated he had to correct a few things and would post a new version.

At that point, because he promptly responded to me and did get me a file that I could use, I registered my copy and "PaidPal" him the $35, expecting to see a new version to download shortly.

He mentions version 1.1.4.6 on his website in the section discussing how to import .csv files, but all I can find on the website is version 1.1.4.5

I still can't use Link 700 to import my files.

I sent him several e-mails over a month ago and never received a reply.

The software does a fair job, for what it does, but mine isn't importing from a common database file format, such as .csv files.

I'm waiting to see what the next version might bring, but I'm not holding my breath.

K6MTT Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2006 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Half a step better than the free Kenwood software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This adds a few improvements to Kenwood's freebie software for the TH-D7A and TH-D700. What's really missing here (like with most ham software) is the ability to import and export in a common file format like delimited text or CSV so you can maintain or massage your data in Excel or other spreadsheet programs. I have not bought this yet - it's freeware unless you want the timed dialogs to go away - because it's only half a step ahead of the free software. If the ability to import and export (other than the ARRL travel format) were included, this would easily be worth the money.

WB8NUT Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2004 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice Program that supports more than one transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One thing I hate doing it trying to load a transceiver's memories by manually entering them into the radio. Now that the ARRL is selling that great little program, TravelPlus, you can generate all your area's repeater frequencies and import them into Link700 and then load them into your radio within minutes!

The program only support some Kenwood models right now, but he is working on other Kenwood and possibly some non-Kenwood radios. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this program became that "do-it-all" memory program so that we had one program for all our radios. We'll see.

No only does it support the loading of memories, but also all the different radio settings. With the D7A Kenwood handheld with the built in TNC/APRS, it can also be used as a terminal program for packet.

Great program!

N9SHA Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2002 02:21 Send this review to a friend
Priceless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Load and use software. Cut and past from radio to radio is priceless. With the time you save
with this program you can spend on the air. I've used a lot of interface software and none
compares to Link700. Well worth the $30 to register it. Always get prompt and detailed
responses from Anthony. What and asset he and Link700 are to ham radio. Great program and
tech support, what more could you ask for. If you own a Kenwood radio, don't miss this. Keep up the good work Anthony.

KG4RZY Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2002 22:28 Send this review to a friend
A must buy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't say enough good things about Link700 and Anthony (the author). If you own a Kenwood mobile or HT this is a must buy! Period. I have used the software from Kenwood and it is so basic it is almost not worth using. The ability to cut-n-paste my channel set ups from one radio to another without re-entering the the info is worth the $30. The software is solid, easy to use, and not resource intensive. The ability to set up the TNC and APRS on my TH-D7A(G) without using the menus is a big plus too. I have had a few minor problems (mostly user error), and Anthony was prompt in resolving my questions. He sells this to add quality products to the ham community and save for his kid's college fund, so if you own a Kenwood buy it now. It will be the best $30 you will spend for radio control software.

KE4EQA Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2002 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
link700 works with Kenwood TH-D7, TM-D700 , TM-G707 and TH-F6/7 radios. It provides memory management, control of most radio functions and settings, and a terminal for APRS. Kenwood's MCP programs for the different radios will not talk to each other. With link700 you can use this one program to control them all. The functionality is solid, the interface is intuitive, and I found no bugs in 30 days of fooling around with it. Best of all, WA3HRL provides excellent support.