Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio shack PRO-2030 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio shack PRO-2030
Radio shack PRO-2030 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $199.99 (1995 catalog)
Description: 80 channel programmable scanner

You can write your own review of the Radio shack PRO-2030.

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 17:57 Send this review to a friend
This is where Radio Shack excels!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I absolutely love Radio Shack scanners of this vintage (e.g. Pro-2022 through Pro-2050 or so). The Pro-2030 is incredibly sensitive with no signs of overload or intermod. With this I'm pulling in stations, aircraft, etc. that I can't using the same external antenna on my Yaesu & AOR scanners.

It has an easy-to-use search scan feature (as do the other RS's of this vintage). The display is kind of narrow, but is sufficiently lit - in orange. I love it. Sound quality really isn't bad at all.

Alright, it doesn't have a tuning knob, nor does it have it programmable steps (I prefer 15 kHz steps for VHF-High), but then again its a Radio Shack scanner. The one area where RS truly excelled.

I recommend this unit very highly, for general VHF/UHF monitoring & scanning.

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2010 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Welcome Back, Old Friend!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first bought one of these when they were on closeout at Radio Shack. I think I paid about $60 for it, and considered it a bargain at the time. It was my first real scanner, and let me listen in to all the local Police and Fire action. I used it as my primary scanner until I bought my Uniden BC796D, but kept it around for another year or two before sold it. I regretted selling it almost immediately, but then got busy learning about trunking, and how to run the Uniden. While cruising around eBay one day, I saw one for sale at a good price, so I bought it. It was like an old friend had returned! Yeah, it's only got 80 channels and doesn't do trunking or digital, but what it does, it does very well. The manual is available on the Radio Shack website, but not in one nice pdf file like most of their other manuals. It's in a "doc" format, and not as easy to use as the manual that came with it, but all the information is there.

CRAIGRADIO Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2006 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Jackrabbit fast, and oh so sensitive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 2030 used on ebay. with a simple 30 second mod, I was picking up all 800 mhz, and this baby is sensitive across the board. Hyperscan, and 80 channels will keep you informed. Lightweight, with so-so sound from internal speaker (mono headphone), but for ease of use it is hard to beat. More channels would be a plus, but for full 800mhz, and lighthing scan, this is a pro.
Unfortunately I don't like to sit at a desk ( i do enough of that during the day) to listen. This functionality in a portable, would be a blessing.

DJZMAN Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2005 01:24 Send this review to a friend
I like it alot.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this scanner today (July 08 2005) from a garage sale. i paid only 5.00 it came with the scanner, power hookup, antenna. no manual but it was so easy to use. i plugged it in and with in 5 mins could use it like a pro. How ever if anyone has a manual or know of a website to look things up please share, incase there is something I dont know it does. I would tell anyone to buy one of these scanners if they came across one in a garage sale.

YY1CIR Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2004 18:57 Send this review to a friend
100% quality gadget  Time owned: more than 12 months
PRO 2030, was my second scanner and the best i had ever. Why? the price-joy relationship is unbeatable. this low cost (70-100 $)toy is almost a PRO scanner, except by his number of channels. Wide coverage from 29 to 959 MHZ, great sensitivity and superb selectivity. In a city it receive so nice with the telescopic antenna. In my case ive installed a Biconical WIdeBand antenna and RS 2.5 Amps power supply to avoid tiny wall PS overheating. I recommend for begginers and veterans. Only one minus: found no cellular expansion mod in any source.

N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2004 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Good scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this scanner now for 11 years and it works very well. These days, with frequencies being used so much and so close together the intermod on an outside antenna is horrible, but I never had this problem until the last couple years so I moved it to next to my bed with the stock antenna and use it at night and have no problem with intermod anymore. It's been good and reliable for me, the built in speaker is good, I used an external speaker with it and that was good too the jack can drive the speaker unlike my new PRO-2052. The manual said it will hole everythign in memory for 3 days unplugged, I've gone away for 2 weeks and when I do I unplug everything and when I came back everythign was still there. It's very easy to program, I haven't seen the manual for it in years I think we lost it moving but I haven't needed it since the day I got the scanner, it's that easy. The 8 banks of 10 channels in each is a great feature which I believe was new when this scanner was new, it's a great little scanner.