Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | TNC-X Help

Reviews Summary for TNC-X
TNC-X Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$45.00 + $25 for USB
Description: TNC Kit with optional USB interface; 1200 baud; KISS Mode- Use with terminal software such as Pr4Win
More info: http://www.tnc-x.com/

You can write your own review of the TNC-X.

K6MFW Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2016 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Working good, excellent support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found a link to TNC-X (forgot where), what got my interest is it can be powered off the USB cable from a computer. I was looking a APRS display in car using a tablet running APRSISCE. I wanted a hardware TNC rather than sound card modem, the TNC-X in its package is great. I value this highly because when out in the field providing power to TNC is one less thing. Documentation is reasonable, a new user needs to be patient and read through the few pages. Unlike KPC3+ or PK96, this is a basic TNC with not much extras but don't have to search through 200+ pages describing capabilities I will never use.

John Hansen was responsive and patient with my questions. Some things I overlooked like setting baud rate is done both by setting jumpers in TNC-X and Device Manager com port settings in PC. TNC-X default baud rate to PC is 1200, the RF baud rate is fixed at 1200. Another thing that must be done for just about every PC is need to install FTDI drivers so PC can recognize the TNC-X and give it a Com port number. Yes this might be tedious and clunky (I find just about anything that is USB has its peculiar issues) however this TNC is lowcost. Once this is done, then it has no issues. I'm confident I should have no further problems and Mr. Hansen has been helpful.

I have used TNC-X along with a 7" tablet (Win8.1) running APRSISCE and a Icom 208H radio. I've also used it on a couple XP machines with no problems (had to load FTDI drivers). In addition to receiving APRS stations, I have also transmitted beacons and APRS messages. Like I said before powering this TNC off USB cable makes mobile configuration much easier.

I also installed the Xtrack board and used this as a tracker. Doing the settings is a little terse (need to use hexidecimal numbers for APRS symbols). I am able to send out occasional beacons while mobile and display stations on APRSISCE (which I place in Receive Only so it does not send out a beacon based on its fixed location). I had to do some wiring inside the 3-cond plug receptacle, tapping a 5V point and wiring it to tip of phone plug. TNC-X has capacity to power GPS puck. Again power source from USB. It does have a separate DC power receptacle and RS232 if one wants to connect like traditional TNCs.

Another item I want to do is use Outpost [packet] Message Manager with TNC-X. I need to determine the commands (I don't know much of actual packet/TNC commands) but this would be great for the field because this TNC-X only needs connection of USB to PC and of course mic/spkr/PTT/gnd to radio.

Because this is a no frills device and some configuration is needed, i.e. I haven't thought much about KISS mode. Perhaps not as easy to set up like other device but I've dealt with much worse. Again TNC-X has been working great. My only issues is getting GPS puck to lock in on satellites and I'm dealing with APRSISCE not recognizing stations where UI-View does (that is another topic).

WA9SDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2016 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great, easy to build.

Sure wish they'd release an updated model with a built in receiver for dedicated igate use.

Linux compatible as well.

N0DZQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2015 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Worth it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this little gizmo since last winter. Went together fast. I was perturbed as I could not get the thing to work and promptly sent it back. Well, seems I put a chip in backwards and did not notice it (I am such a dolt). It was returned to me WITHOUT charge and has been working great ever since.

Good product & great service.

KM4CQX Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2015 19:49 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took about an hour or so to build, fired right up and worked like a charm. I've been using it mobile with a Kenwood TM-271a and UI-view32. Hasn't disappointed.

AG4F Rating: 4/5 Nov 29, 2014 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Just works...after a few hiccups  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my TNC-X kit quickly. It was missing an electrolytic. I had one in my parts box, so I used that instead. On power up, it would not load the USB drivers. I tried everything, then contacted John. He asked me to send it back, stating that there was probably a soldering issue with the USB chip. He repaired it and sent it back within a day. It now works as advertised. Needs better QC.

WB2LHP Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great kit. A fraction of the cost of the closest commercially made TNC with APRS support. Works like a champ with no issues and setup is painless. This is not a beginners kit. The work and the components are small. It takes skill and patience to assemble. Total build time for me was 4 hours but the results are spectacular. My build includes the USB adapter and the X-Digi daughter board for APRS ops. Thanks to John and others like him who have taken the time and initiative to produce a quality and affordable product.

SV1JRF Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2013 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Amazing simple tnc  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well i just bought the TNC-x,because i wanted it to replace my d710 to my setup. It came home within 10 days. I bought the kit, i finished the assembly and testing within 2 hours. I prepared the cable for the rig, and all ok!i am very happy ,works like a charm. My setup consists of an RPi running xastir, the tnc-x connected via usb with a rs232 cable adapter, and the rig. Works as an iGate and Digi!if you want a simple and straight forward tnc just buy it!

AB3CN Rating: 1/5 Apr 15, 2012 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Do you need it fixed?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built the kit and it received APRS stations AOK - I was very impressed. But no station could decode my packets. I calibrated it over and over per the instructions (and Google) but to no advantage. I followed the diagnostic checkout suggestion with the included documentation to no avail. It seems to be operating AOK. I thought it might be time to send the unit back for repair in case I had made an assembly mistake. I do not see anything on the tnc-x sight about repairs. Best regards de Ab3CN

N1TX Rating: 3/5 Mar 30, 2012 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended for an iGate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have two, one a kit, the other bought fully assembled. As others have said, the TNC-X is a very straightforward and provides basic functionality at an affordable price. I put the assembled unit on my iGate for two weeks as an experiment, and I found two issues. One is that the WIndows driver running under XP (SP3 + latest updates) on my configuration is very unreliable. At random times, the TNC shows up as an unrecognized device and drops offline. This is especially true during a re-boot. My iGate system is designed for maximum reliability and autostart, so you can see the gripe I have here. The second issue I discovered is that the output is delayed significantly when compared to other TNCs I have (KPC3+, KAM-XL, TT4), so latency to the APRS-IS server is unsatisfactory. That tells me the firmware needs some work.

Mind you, I'm not dinging the TNC-X. I'll give it one thumb up, but iGate-keepers beware. I think it would be very fine as a standalone digi with the daughterboard or as a TNC for basic packet operations using the right software. Dead simple to build, too.

WX1CT Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2012 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Easy to install - Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up the TNC-X to replace a unit that had been in daily operation for 15 years. John shipped the unit quickly and two days later it showed up at my door. I had the unit hooked up and running in less than 10 minutes. Couldn't have been easier. Next time I'll try the kit!