Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Amp Supply LK-800C TNY Help

Reviews Summary for Amp Supply LK-800C TNY
Amp Supply LK-800C TNY Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $used $2500-3000
Description: An Omega Electronics updated LK800 with all the refinements such as soft start. Covers WARC bands, uses 3 3CX800 tubes and has a brute transformer and capable of 2500 watts key down for prolonged operation.

You can write your own review of the Amp Supply LK-800C TNY.

VA3PWC Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
3.5 KW out - 100W in  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Simply fantastic !!! 2.5KW key down and no time limit.
3.5 KW on SSB peaks.
On the bird43 wattmeter easily gets 2.5KW with 70W input.
3 tubes 3CX800A7 are very solid and now expensive too... but if you want some extra power...you must get this amplifier. Internally is very well-made and and solid. My opinion is Alpha is the best well-made tube amplifier ever made... and then Amp Supply does the job very well.
Mine is the C TNY version with QSK board and Warc bands and external power pack that runs 3KV on high voltage. 73 from Rick PY2EL

K0IZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2010 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Super Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this amplifier for about 3 years, and love it. Operates great. Lots of reserve in tube plate dissipation and huge power supply.

I have, however, made several updates: New HV chassis and cable connector. Original is only rated for 750V. Added 50 ohm resistor and timer relay for soft start high voltage. Added timer relay so that HV is not applied until 3 minute filament warmup is complete.

N4RJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 13:48 Send this review to a friend
One Tough customer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp has run many many contests and even though the parts look cinchy it is almost bullet proof.

KC0W Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2006 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Not For Sissies  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I sent my Amp Supply LK800-C to Bill so he could work his magic on it & turn it into the "TNY" model. I'm very glad I did. Bill is a very knowledgeable person to have work on your amplifier & keeps you informed of his progress along every step of the way.

How do I like this newly modified amp? THIS THING SCREAMS!!! (in a good way) With 20 watts of drive from my Yaesu 1000D, the amplifiers output is exactly 1025 watts. You can imagine the power output if one drives the amp with 50 to 75 watts. A true contester or DXers dream machine when you need just that little something more to be heard over the pileups or to keep your run frequency.

I really can't speak of the amps attributes on SSB since I'm 100% CW here. Needless to say, the amp will really rock & roll on CW.

Talk about a quiet fan on the LK-800C TNY. It is much quieter than my Alpha 99 & about the same noise volume as my Acom 2000A. Anyway, with a pair of headphones on (or even without phones on) you will be hard pressed to hear this amp's fan at all.

What I REALLY enjoy about this amp is it's separate power supply. It sheds 60 pounds off the amp itself making any lifting/transporting of the amp a real breeze. Plus the RF deck is now reduced in size due to the large & heavy Peter Dahl transformer being "remotable" in it's own cabinet. Place the transformer unit under your desk or anywhere else you want to within the cable to RF deck distance of roughly 7 feet. This really is a slick feature of this amp. Why other manufactors do not construct remotable transformers like this is beyond me. Are you listening Acom, Alpha, Ameritron, Command Tech, QRO & others?

Tuning up "by the numbers" is a no brainer with the amp. It's not fickle as some of my other amp's have been when trying to duplicate the exact settings when changing bands. Set it once, mark your settings & forget it. Less than 8 seconds per band chance is what it takes if one wants during the stress of contesting. There is a dedacated 12 meter band setting on the amp but not a 17 meter one. In my experamentation with 17 meters & this amp, the LK800-TNY will not operate on 17 meters very well, if at all.

Bill from Omega reworks the amp's separate transformer supply box so that it has two user selectable voltage settings. The "stock" LK800-TNY will have 2500 volts on the RF deck. When switched to the "high" mode, it will have 3000 volts. Call it a turbo boost for the amp. A a small toggle switch is installed on the RF decks face in order to be able to select between the two voltage settings.

With a trio of pulse rated 3cPx800A7 tubes and the voltage setting in the high mode, well.......... Lets just say that other stations will seldom need a fill or repeat of your contest exchange info.

I would never run more than 1500 watts. These power out figures were conducted by myself using a large dummy load. I do not advocate the use of running excessive power.

Bills service does not come cheap retrofitting this amp into the TNY version. In fact one could purchase an Ameritron starter amplifier & have money left over. If you are a passionate amateur radio enthusiast you can't go wrong with Bill's mod. I plan on having this amp (along with it's small footprint) sitting on my radio desk for quite some time into the future.

Any questions? Email me,

Tom kcw

KA1CDE Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2004 15:14 Send this review to a friend
This amp delivers 30 times the drive. It was updated at Omega  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this Amp used as a Lk 800 and sent it to Omega Electronics for a completed update and coversion to a TNY model. The amp was returned with pictures of the work provided.
I tested the amp with 100 watts drive into a dummy load, it produced 3000 watts output easily.

I used the amp for on and off sparingly and noticed a oder of something buring. I had surpassed the warrenty provided on the work completed by Omega. I contacted Bill and sent the amp back to be checked out, he found a loose connection with one of the diodes and repaired the problem with no cost to me for repairs or shipping, he said it was his error and should not have happend, while it was there I had the input for 15m retuned for 17m.

The amp came back in excellent shape and has been operating flawless ever since.

The amp produces output at 30 times the drive level> If you are not carefull when testing into a dummy load you can easily exceed 4kw pep output, although I would not recommend operating it a long time at those levels unless you were to install the 3cpx800 instead of the stock tubes.

If you get the opportuninty to buy one, and want a high power low drive amp that is barely, barely working at 1500 watts buy it, it is a real nice amp.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2004 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simply stated, if you can find one , buy it! The LK800C with the TNY Omega Electronics updates is the only linear you will need for a long time. The amp puts out 2000 watts key down all day if you're into that. 3000 watts output easily from the THREE 3CX800 tubes and heavy duty power supply. Soft start and other updates by Omega make this one of the best linears for the money, certainly the best for under $3000! I have had 'em all over my 47 years of ham radio and this one I will keep forever. Great styling, efficient, well designed and easy to tune... 50 watts input will give you 1000 watts out and 100 will give you much more than legal output. So, watch the drive! San K5YY