Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Davis RF Flexweave Antenna Wire Help

Reviews Summary for Davis RF Flexweave Antenna Wire
Davis RF Flexweave Antenna Wire Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $Varies with wire size and constr
Description: Ultra-flexible stranded Aerial Wire. Available as bare copper, tinned copper, and insulated tinned copper.
More info: http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/flexweve.htm

You can write your own review of the Davis RF Flexweave Antenna Wire.

WA7PRC Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2014 13:43 Send this review to a friend
VERY Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used hard-drawn FlexWeave antenna wire for many years with ZERO issues. Antennas: 80m dipole, 40m dipole (using 12 ga bare) and then later, a 4-wire 80m cage inverted vee using 14 ga PVC-coated.

Altogether, over a period of 12 years, the stuff has survived MANY severe storms in Western WA without failure. I can't say the same for soft-drawn house wire.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

N3WAK Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Good Product!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have built various inverted vee antennas with this wire, from 80 meters to 6 meters. I think the product is excellent. The #12 PVC insulated wire is unbelievably flexible, although the clear PVC insulation is awfully reflective in the sunlight, and I would not recommend it for a stealth antenna. The wire does not appear to have stretched in the very high winds we regularly seem to get in Delaware.

I am less enamored of the #14 PE insulated wire. It is still relatively flexible, but not silky-soft like the PVC-insulated wire. I find the PE insulation very difficult to strip off, but stripping the PVC insulation is quite easy. If your wire is going to be abraided by tree branches, I would probably choose the PE insulation; but if the antenna is going to be in the clear, I would use the PVC insulation. My #14 wire is insulated with the black PE coating, which is much, much less visible in the sunlight than the clear PVC coating mentioned above.

If you want a lower-visibility wire, I'd stay away from the clear PVC insulation, and choose the black. Either wire, if it is PVC insulated, would be very easy to coil up, and uncoil, and won't tangle, if you want a portable antenna. The PVC insulated wire is as flexible as a bungie cord.

This is a great product, and I'll be buying more of it.

73, Tony N3WAK

AA2HA Rating: 0/5 Dec 16, 2008 03:13 Send this review to a friend
If you like to climb often  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna wire may be for you. I used 12 ga. Flexweave for a G5RV senior, 102' on each side. The antenna was at 70' to the center in a pine tree. The ends were anout 30' high. I used pullys and rope on each side to relieve strain. (My previous antenna made if 14 ga. THHN lasted 9 years this way)
This one side broke after only 3 weeks. I repaired it to only have the other side break a few weeks later.
Not wanting to climb trees any longer, I replaced the Flexweave with 12 ga. THHN. with the exact same supports and pullys. It's been a year and a half with no problems.

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2008 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Everything I Wanted It To Be  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm so glad that I take Eham reviews with a grain of salt. I decided to go ahead & try 14 ga. PVC coated Flex-Weave, as I build my own longwires and super-huge loops for LW from insulated wire. (In the past I had much grief with kinks & snarls using TFFN and military spec wire in those roles.)

Well, this Davis Flex-weave works fabulously! I take my longwires up & down frequently, move them, bend it sharply around things, etc. -- contrary to the implications by some reviewers this stuff does NOT break like a dry twig. Then again I don't try to support bowling balls with it either. Its antenna wire -- not cable for suspension bridges! Its very easy to work with, is pliable, soft & resilient and, most importantly, gives me top-notch reception on the Icom IC-R75.

Everything I want it to be. Oh, and the folks at Davis are pleasant to deal with. I called them, immediately spoke to a friendly person, placed my order, and almost instantly received an invoice e-mail & tracking number. Excellent experience, especially these days.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2006 05:15 Send this review to a friend
No problems here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the insulated Flexweave, 14 gauge I think. It's been in the air about three years now...over 400 feet of wire in an 80 meter loop configuration. I did leave two corners "floating" to relieve some of the strain from wind blowing my tree supports. No problems at all...and it sure solders much easier than the stuff I was using before. I would buy it again without hesitation.

W9THD

K4GPB Rating: 4/5 Aug 28, 2006 19:18 Send this review to a friend
6 Years and it's still up  Time owned: more than 12 months
My antenna is a 60-foot long end inverted L to near the top of a 35-foot pine tree. No real heavy tension on it; it's tarnished to match the twigs on the trees at my antenna restricted QTH.

Easy to work with and solder.

K8XQ Rating: 0/5 Aug 28, 2006 18:39 Send this review to a friend
absolute Garbage  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought enough of theur # 12 to make a 75 meter center fed dipole. It sounded like such a great product I took down my Vangorden All-Bander and put up the inverted vee and it did not last 6 months before it broke.

K9YC Rating: 1/5 Jun 23, 2004 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Sounds great, but isn't.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a product that I would love to love, becauase the product concept sounds great -- a super flexible antenna wire, #14, #12, and #10, made from many strands of small gauge copper. Unfortunately, the concept is all wrong -- any stressing and flexing of the small strands causes the wire to break.

Antennas built using this wire simply don't hold up if they are subjected to normal stresses. One that I installed on a mountain in CA had broken at three places in only a few months. A local ham (K9IKZ) told me that his lasted a bit more than a year on his tower in Chicago.

Save yourself a lot of money by heading to your local electrical supply store where you can buy a 500 ft spool of insulated copper house wire for half the cost of Flex-Weave. If it's going to be stressed, buy a heavier gauge and hard draw it yourself by tying one end to something solid and pulling on the other end with your vehicle.

No problem with Davis RF -- nice people, good service, and I'll happily buy other stuff from them. But Flex-Weave is simply not good antenna wire -- at least not in my part of the real world.