Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Samlex SEC-1223 Help

Reviews Summary for Samlex SEC-1223
Samlex SEC-1223 Reviews: 149 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: Switching Power Supply

Helpful RFI reduction mod by ZL2DF: http://www.n0ss.net/samlex_1223_rfi_mods_from_zl2df.pdf
More info: http://www.samlexamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Samlex SEC-1223.

WA2ISE Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2016 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Great after RFI mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it for my HF rig. Yes there are birdies, but doing RFI mods knocked those way down (the manufacturer should be doing this). RFI mod is to connect a pair of 1uF film caps, one from + and one from - to the chassis right at the output terminals, inside the case. Also installed a filtered IEC plug. Doing this makes it a lot better.
Many power supplies meant for servers and such don't like the sudden load changes you have when you key down, but this one is designed for that. Haven't had mine get overheated, but I haven't laid a brick on my transmitter's key either...

K7DAA Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2016 00:40 Send this review to a friend
New link to EMI reduction page  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for years of intermittent service with no problems, but I can't say that I've used it as a main 12v supply in everyday use. I have a number of Astrons and a solar/battery system for daily shack use.

I noted that the link at the top of the page to ZL2DF's RF noise reduction mod for this supply now goes to someone who is definitely not N0SS, who died in 2011. If you look up his callsign, you'll see it's now a memorial club call.

Here is a new link maintained by W4KAZ:

In my experience, all switching power supplies generate some noise. It's mostly a matter of how much, what harmonics, and whether they happen to fall on your favorite frequencies or not. Lots of switching supplies can be cleaned up by using the same principles covered in the ZL2DF paper: ferrites inside the metal box over the output wires, with some capacitors to ground.

Also, make sure the power supply's metal box forms a decent shield by checking for good metal-to-metal connections at all points where the case shells join together. Scrape paint away, if necessary. It often helps to put beads and caps on the AC input lines as well. Make sure the caps are rated for 400v or better, of course.

K1XGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2016 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Reliable SMPS  Time owned: more than 12 months

Just bought a new SEC-1235M to pair it with my new IC-7410 this month. I also owned an SCE-1223 for 7 years to power 3 different 100 watt base stations, primarily an IC-746 Pro.

This afternoon I chased 7P8C split for a solid 1.5 hrs trying to bust thru the DX pile-ups. The fan on the 1235M eventually came on after about 1hr 15 min. of pedal-to-the-metal transmitting, ran for about 5 min. then shut off as I operated for another 10 min. Didn't get the QSO but the ps performed as it should. My 1223 performed similarly in such situations.

As far as the fan noise goes, I wouldn't want to listen to it constantly but it comes on so infrequently why invest in a costly linear behemoth to replace a switch-mode Samlex that has a 3 year warranty?

73, Tom K1XGM

W9OS Rating: 2/5 Dec 30, 2015 20:01 Send this review to a friend
IF IT DIES TOSS IT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was given a SEC-1223. I had blown a fuse.
Just for kicks I sent a note to Samlex to see if they work on these out of warranty.
They said no and said I should buy a new one?
I wonder what they do a unit in warranty.?. They must send you a new one..Cheaper than having a service department.
I have a 1235 and it runs great with minimal birdies.
I found a shorted 2sc2625 the main switching transistors that come off the FW bridge .. Parts on order (not from Samlex). I hope this will get it going

KK4BUH Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2015 13:02 Send this review to a friend
I love mine!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one on my HF rig and one on my UHF/VHF radio. However, I do have one complaint. Those TERRIBLE connectors on the back! I broke one side of the screw head off and now I need to get it out so I can put the wires in again!

GM1SXX Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2014 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Decent SMPS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine second-hand to use with my old IC-730 transceiver. being an SMPS, some birdies are to be expected but this is a better PSU than some other switch-mode ones I've used. I managed to quieten it down even more by connecting a pair of 0.1uF ceramic capacitors in series across the output with the junction of the pair going to ground by as short a connection as was possible.
I can't really conplain about this PSU and the mod makes it better still. It's easy to be overly critical about this sort of power supply. Even the SMPS on my Yaesu FT-990 produces some noise!

As SMPS's go, this one is quite good.

KN0V Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 16:21 Send this review to a friend
It has done the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 1223 has powered a FT-450AT as well as an IC-737. It has done the job but the fan is a bit noisy when it kicks on but that has only been under heavy operating/contest conditions. Minor detail. It has done what it is supposed to do. Never a problem in 4 years of use.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Works Great   Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been sitting on the shelf powering my Kenwood TS-480SAT, running 100 watts, without a hiccup for a few years now. I never thought about writing a review on it because I really don't think about it, other to turn it on and off. It's been a great power supply and if I ever need another one, I'd buy this one again.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 12:24 Send this review to a friend
No issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this supply since 1997. It has powered 100 watt transceivers without any issues.

K8AI Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I maintain a "fleet" of these power supplies and in my opinion they are just fine. They normally run for 5-or-so years until the secondary side filter caps dry out. I normally change out the three secondary side caps (2200uF, 25V low-ESF - Digi-Key 338-1742-ND) and just for giggles, the two primary side caps (680uF, 200V - Digi-Key P11620-ND) and it's good for another five years at least.