Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Samlex SEC-1223 Help

Reviews Summary for Samlex SEC-1223
Samlex SEC-1223 Reviews: 149 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: Switching Power Supply

Helpful RFI reduction mod by ZL2DF: http://www.n0ss.net/samlex_1223_rfi_mods_from_zl2df.pdf
More info: http://www.samlexamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Samlex SEC-1223.

K2BEW Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2012 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Not for HF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this to use with my FT-450 and I did use it for about a year until I sold the Ft-450 and bought a Flex 1500. So... with the Flex I could actually see on the waterfall the noise from it as well as hear it. I had not noticed to so much on the Yaesu although I am sure there was noise from it. So I tried running the Flex off an old Aston linear I had and low and behold the noise went away. It is interesting to read the manual for it. They say it does not make much noise but then go into a very long explanation about how to ground it etc... to prevent noise. They obviously know it is noisy. I would not recommend it for an HF radio. I now run my 2 meter Ft-1500 off it and don't notice any noise on it as others have mentioned. I would not buy another one though. They are nice and small and light but there is price to pay for that compact design.

KD7INF Rating: 0/5 Jul 3, 2012 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Worthless as >5 Amp Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unit is under-built (components rated at or below rated output) and thermal management is a joke.

Unit overheated and blew internal (non-replaceable) fuse because one (or more) of the underrated components failed into a short-mode.

This is the second Samlex switching supply that I have had fail when drawing actual rated current from the unit. I will never buy their product again.

I swapped in an Astron linear 25A supply...cranked on the load and haven't had issues since.

These units are underbuilt and fine for 10-20% of rated use.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 06:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PS FOR LAND MOBILE USE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up one of these supplies used from a business that no longer uses 2 way radio dispatch. It's only 3 months old. It works great for my UHF Kenwood radio. While there are many complaints for receiver hash on HF, the Samlex website clearly states these supplies are designed for land mobile use. Not HF. I always use a big heavy Astron for HF, & switchers for VHF/UHF radios, & never have a problem. I'll get back in a few years to update how the PS worked out. I do have a friend who works for a city & they use these on a daily basis for their 800 mhz trunking radios, & they've never had a problem. GARY N4KVE

WD8CRT Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2012 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Good with TLC and some mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
PRO: Small, light weight
CON: Terrible terminals on rear, some HF "hash" (common in switchers)
MODS: Cut back panel and added two PowerPole connectors. Added caps on output for hash.
WISH: Wish it were multi-volt. Can operate on 220/50Hz with jumper removal.

FAILURE: Built with @%*&ing Nichicon caps! Lasted 4 years then C21 and C22 smoked. Easy repair, replaced C21,22 & 23 with Panasonic EEU-HD1V222 caps, 2200 @ 50V.

To be fair, MANY electronic items have the crappy Nichicon caps in them and they are a time bomb waiting to fail. Replace them and life is good again. This PS has traveled around the world a lot.

KI4TCX Rating: 3/5 Apr 1, 2012 20:04 Send this review to a friend
worked for almost 3 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A basic power supply. I bought it to use with my Yaesu ft. 450. Never had a problem using my radio with it. Worked for just under 3 years then went out. I would have rated it higher if it would have lasted longer.

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Just keeps on going...  Time owned: more than 12 months
There's not much you can write about a power supply...they either work or they don't. My 1223 has worked solidly for 6 years or so. It replaced a much larger Astron that took up desk space. The little 1223 is quite compact.

W5CRY Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2011 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 1223 is four (4) years old and powers my Pro-3 and FT-7800 with no problems, no noise and has been a reliable product so far.

KG6EJT Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2011 10:32 Send this review to a friend
In-Service Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this little power supply for over ten years. It's never given me an ounce of trouble. I get no noise above 75m, which I don't have an antenna for anyway (I work mainly 20m and above). The noise factor at 75m and below is why I would give this unit a 4 and not a 5, otherwise it is FB.

GD7JWR Rating: 0/5 Oct 17, 2011 18:35 Send this review to a friend
cant use  Time owned: more than 12 months
The price and size is right but i think by saying you get what you pay for is very apt for this power supply.
I use the one i have in my vacation home in florida with a Ft-897, i find that the whole of hf is unusable with this power supply and basically its a piece of junk, i will be removing it next time on vacation and selling it on to fund a power supply that doesnt make more rf noise than my radio

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Perfect power......  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 1223 and the 1235 in current use. They have been totally reliable and are well-built and quiet. They take up very little space and I believe that they are an excellent value for the money. I'm buying another 1223 for my son's new station in a few days.