Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | TPL amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for TPL amplifier
TPL amplifier Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: uhf/vhf amp

You can write your own review of the TPL amplifier.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2010 10:38 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using a UHF version of this amp in my car for about 3 years now. 5 watts becomes 90 watts. It was tuned for 457 mhz, but I use it in the ham bands, so it doesn't quite put out 100 watts at 447 mhz. I don't have the ability to retune it, & 90 watts is plenty. I moved 60 miles north, & this amp really helps to get into those repeaters down south. I originally purchased 2 amps so if the 1st one died, I'd have a backup to use immediately. The 2nd amp still sits in the closet since testing it. Great product & I've seen them for as low as $25. GARY N4KVE

N0EDV Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2009 03:33 Send this review to a friend
Easy to convert to linear use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A friend was given this amp (150 MHz) and he wanted me to test it out for him. I opened it up and immediately noticed how easy it would be to add bias to make it linear for SSB. Circuit board pads were already in place to simplify this! I designed up the bias circuits and completed the mod. I was able to get 200W out with 38W in. The factory wiring was neat and the soldering was very good.

KQ6EA Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2005 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Good bargain  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had several of these for 2M use over the years, and they've always worked well. Low drive, high output, and they run cool. They show up from time-to-time on eBay in conditions ranging from new looking to run over by a truck, and usually for a decent price. BTW..."TPL" stands for "Thomas P Liddy", they guy who made them, and NOT "Talk Power Labs" or any other CB sounding nonsense.
I have a friend who biased one for SSB use and he was satisfied with it, but generally they were made for commercial FM service.