Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Scorpion Kit - W5JH Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Kit - W5JH
Scorpion Kit - W5JH Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$27
Description: Small Iambic Paddle Kit
More info: http://www.azscqrpions.org

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Kit - W5JH.

K8AXW Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2008 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Big bang for the buck  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For a quick and dirty way of finishing the paddles in a big hurry, use an orbital hand sander with 220 grit paper! Chuck each piece in a vise and the finish can be applied very quickly without burning the fingers or having it spin away to the far end of the shop.

My heavy handed operation caused the paddles to scoot around, so I inleted a 3 X 3 X 5/8" block of walnut and set the paddles in the cutout and stuck small rubber feet on the bottom of the block. Solid as a rock now. An easier way is to mount the paddles on top of the block of wood with 2 small machine screws up through the bottom to hold the block of brass. This also raises the paddles to a more comfortable level.

The orbital sander finish and the finished black walnut is a beautiful combination.

Has been great fun!

K8AXW

KI6ADA Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2007 18:10 Send this review to a friend
First paddle kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am anxious to try this little guy. I have big hands and find this key very easy to keep on the desk.
The paddles need some fine tuning. I recommend checking the thickness of the Teflon tape on the threads of the screws. The spring has a mind of it's own! I cannot tell you how many times I went searching for that little guy! I will have to remove it again when I sand and polish everything-Yikes! I suggest sanding and polishing first. Soldering the ground wires to the bottom of the paddles is very HOT! I planned ahead and used the Scqrpion guitar picks as extra holder.

By the way the instructions are easy. I purchased this kit from another HAM, so I have no experience with customer service.

EA1BP Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2004 10:58 Send this review to a friend
I love it!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What do you expect for $27 ????????? Its a basic piece of kit, and very easy to build.
Its heavy enough so it doesnt move when you use it. Miles away from the Palm mini paddles (I have a couple of them) in price/quality.
Its small, and perfect to use outdoors with any QRP transceivers or even big QRO ones.
And the most important thing... This paddle is something you build by yourself!!! and it has lots more value than anything you buy in the shop.

73 to all,

Miguel

N5GLR Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2004 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Good Kit - Nice Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been wanting a small paddle for portable use and had seen this kit offered on the AMQRP web site. I also found them for sale at the North Texas QRP Club booth at Ham Com this year and bought one. I spent about 6 hours (over 2 days) polishing the brass and spraying it with a coat of Polyurethane. The kit is easy to assemble and the instructions are fine. It's not hard to figure out how to put it together without the instructions but, they did tell me where the Teflon tape should go. (hi) I let it dry for about 8 hours and then assembled the parts in about an hour and a half. I lost the original spring (while attempting to install it) and subsituted a modified ball point pin spring. After a little trial and error, the substiute spring works great. The paddle is very small but, has enough weight to stay put if you adjust the tension on the spring for a light touch. I've been using it this weekend during field day with my OHR Explorer QRP rig and it's great. It has a nice feel and looks good too. I expect this little key will serve me well in my portable adventures (as soon as the rain stops).
I like it and would buy another one.

Garry