Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-751 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-751
ICOM IC-751 Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1400
Description: Icom IC-751 All Mode HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic751/ic751.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-751.

AF6AU Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 08:56 Send this review to a friend
What a solid black rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 751 off a ham auctioning his from E-bay for $400, 1996 I think. Had the trimmers replaced by John Klewer (N6AX), about 7 years ago. This is my most reliable and most powerful rig. It lives in my Garage shack, dust, heat, cold, humidity, always powers up, always performs. I use either a Lambda or OLD Alinco linear/transformer power supply to feed it, as it likes a solid 14.2 volts and unwavering 20 amps to work well, as it will output 135 watts on 20 SSB or CW into a good 50 ohm load (I back it down..). I have used it to drive an old updated Gonset GS101B quad 811A amp, and a Henry 2K amplifier, both with ease. Receive is great, as these are legendary. The receive side rear panel jumper is handy for noise phasers and pre-amps for low signal work. Icom used similar receive circuits in the later rigs based on these. I compare it to a Yaesu FT-101ZD, Kenwood TS-820S (with a 500hz cw filter), and it's sister IC-735, it out powers them all, out receives them all, handles nasty SWR's better, and is easier and quicker to QSY or mode change. I installed an IKR2ND board to solve the volatile issue, but still have the OEM board with a new batery attached just in case. For my sad efforts at CW, I use an old heathkit 2 paddle keyer. For keyboard work I adapted a MFJ code box to it. Tunes and works great. I will be sad when the "Cost of repair exceeds the equipment value" day comes. Bang for the buck these are unbeatable workhorse rigs that people keep, and thus why Piexx and Inrad still carries goodies for them. If you are a Ham Gear Hoarder like me, and find a decent one, don't wait for a 751A, you cannot go wrong. AF6AU

KK4AXX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Who can complain?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Granted, my experience is limited with newer radios. That said, the fourth-hand IC-751 in my possession, (a gift from a Brother in my Lodge), has been a most excellent radio getting me fine reports - barefoot, mind you - from as far away as India on my home-brewed copper pipe vertical!

Remember, this is a 4th hand radio. The tuning knob is whacky and a couple of potentiometers are dirty, but no matter what, it gets out there. I'd LOVE to have one in "good" condition!

KJ4VEM Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 19:49 Send this review to a friend
From Shelve to Main Rig!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a chance to pick up a pristine used 751 I have always wanted as a back up rig for $500. All options including voice synthesizer. I pulled off the shrlve when my Kenwood 2000 started acting up. (receive audio would go from normal to almost no output) I was working OMISS 20m Net and started hearing stations I couldn't hear on 2000. I did not hook up amp because I did not take time to see what cable was needed for buffer relay. I heard a station calling CQ DX and got a solid 5/9 from Spain! Barefoot! I am getting cable for Amp and it is staying on the bench! GREAT RIG!

VE3CUI Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 07:16 Send this review to a friend
A Nice Rig, Bar None!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a friend's 751 on 10-meters here that he recently did some work on, and man-o-man, what a fantastic outfit...!

In truth, I never really knew WHAT to expect, because others have called this predecessor to the later "A" model everything from "lame", to "a dog"...but it's NEITHER lame, NOR a dog, believe me!

This is a nice piece of hardware that is SHEER JOY to use...and they're priced right, too, on the used Ham market. It'd make a great stand-alone rig in any shack of to-day, never-mind a back-up station...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2009 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned a 751A some years ago and have always kind of regretted letting it go. Recently I bought a 718 and have enjoyed operating it, but when I sent it to have the cw/ssb filter installed I picked up a really nice 751 just to be my back-up until the 718 returned. Well, while waiting for the 718 I spent quite a bit of time with the 751. Long story short - the 718 is now my back-up! I love the receiver, low noise floor, up front simplicity and enjoyment in operating. I hooked up the MFJ 410D keyer and it works great. One of these days I'll get that PIEXX CI-V rig control board installed - but don't miss it all that much anyway.

VE3AZQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2009 09:45 Send this review to a friend
VG Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great piece of vintage technology from Icom.
Outstanding receiver.I live in a noisy environment and was about to quit the hobby when I got my hands on this gem.Cut trough noise like a knife in butter.If it ever fail,I'll pay the money for the repair because it worth it.
Will I buy another one ? Absolutely!!

F6EFM Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2009 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have own many and many TRX during my electronician life , the IC-751 is solid , stable and perform well without problems.
IC-PS15 supply very solid also , the twin do not heat even light morning to evening.
Audio is great TX and RX with external large loudspeaker .
Any dynamic , crystal or ceramic microphone work WELL with only one FET transistor and one resistor into source about 1000 ohms to adjust for +5V at drain (+//5 microfarad if low Z as HC5 for exemple to increase gain) , no more needed , drain directly to hot wire "mic" and cartridge directly to gate.
Long life RAM battry , (firs 12 years .!.) and no problem to replace it.
Some units have had drift into last cristal mixer (pass band) but very easy to replace .
If curious problem occur do not forget to verify securely all screws to have good ground contacts at all PCB boards including PA , most problems are there so add one small drop fuel or motor oil at each screw (no more !)
73 F6EFM@YAHOO.FR

F6EFM Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2009 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Good Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
All in tittle ...not so easy to operate that moderns rigs but very solid and perform well , I own one since long time .
Small problem into last series and IC751A : the cristal not very stable at 4th mixer but it is synthetic cristal genuine mount. Replaced by good cristal from DELOOR/DELCOM : no problem.
Battry RAM 10 years and easy to replace , if battry fail just return small card to reprogram , not expensive , or replace by non volatile RAM also not expensive.
Good audio receive and transmit and still better if adjust 3rd mixer cristal , very easy to make !
No difference with IC751A witch have just one filter more on main board , the rest is same.
I regret stupid RIGPIX comments about battry replacement , there is really no problem .!.
Long lasting Radio .
73 F6EFM@YAHOO.FR .

KG6WCA Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2008 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Very nice for the price!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a relatively new ham with only 6 mo.s as a general, so my opinions are froma newbie's standpoint! I also have a Yaesu FT-897 so My comparisons will be mainly with that. Briefly for an almost 20 year old radio this thing really performs quite well. Many contacts have given unsolicited good audio reports and the receive is at least as good as my 897 with the DSP on. I have no options or mods on the radio other than the wideband mod. and the built in PS. I love the layout of the control panel. A button for everything. Much nicer than the menu driven 897! Compared to most radios today this thing is built like a tank! Of course it's as heavy as one also:) My only concern with the rig so far is getting the ram board from Piexx before my board's battery runs out. So far I have not worked any CW or digital so I'll have to wait on reporting on that. I do notice that with even the stock filters I can isolate individual CW transmissions fairly well when things get a little crowded.

Considering that I got the rig w/PS, an Icom H8 mic and a Diawa tuner all for $350 I think I did quite well.

I would have loved to have gotten a 751A but considering I am a nocoder and poor at the moment it is't that big a deal. I would love to be able to do A-B testing between a 751 and a 751A to see if the A is really that much better. I think if you're mainly a voice op the answer would be no big difference, except in the PRICE!!

In closing at least from my experience I think that the 751 has gotten a bad rap here. For a new ham on a limited budget this thing rocks.

G4RNI Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2008 16:22 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an original 751 back in 1983 and it was HORRENDOUS! Riddled with RF feedback & going into TX for no good reason, shoving sproggies out everywhere the only way to stop it was to pull the power!

I've had a few 751's through my hands in recent times (2004-2008) & Icom seem to have corrected most of the problems so when you get a good one, you get a VERY good one BUT BEWARE! There still seem to be the odd one or two about which will scream with RF feedback if you push the mic gain that tad too far. Usually easily sorted with a couple of 0.01's and ferrite beads in the mic, the problem can be more stubborn, especially if you try to use a non-Icom mic. My advice is DON'T!

The IC-751 has a very capable RX and a TX with finals running well within their maximum rating. The PA kind of jogs along when it's easily capable of sprinting all day long! One error IMHO is the usual too-wide filter in the FM IF. I ALWAYS change these from a MURATA CFW455E (15kHz) to a CFW455G (9kHz).

The display may suffer the odd electrolytic dying and there was a missing earth link problem in early sets. The attenuator relay is prone to stick, making the rig deaf and the FM board relay can stick too, leading to low FM TX power. Servisol works wonders here!

If you're not afraid of a soldering iron and have a bit of savvy where wirelesses are concerned, the 751 makes a fine business rig which may require a bit of tinkering to bring it back to top performance. If you are a bit uncertain or perhaps not as dextrous as you once were, get one from a reputable source.

The IC-751? I recommend it, as long as it's behaving itself!