Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-751 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-751
ICOM IC-751 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1400
Description: Icom IC-751 All Mode HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic751/ic751.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-751.

G4RNI Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2008 16:22 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an original 751 back in 1983 and it was HORRENDOUS! Riddled with RF feedback & going into TX for no good reason, shoving sproggies out everywhere the only way to stop it was to pull the power!

I've had a few 751's through my hands in recent times (2004-2008) & Icom seem to have corrected most of the problems so when you get a good one, you get a VERY good one BUT BEWARE! There still seem to be the odd one or two about which will scream with RF feedback if you push the mic gain that tad too far. Usually easily sorted with a couple of 0.01's and ferrite beads in the mic, the problem can be more stubborn, especially if you try to use a non-Icom mic. My advice is DON'T!

The IC-751 has a very capable RX and a TX with finals running well within their maximum rating. The PA kind of jogs along when it's easily capable of sprinting all day long! One error IMHO is the usual too-wide filter in the FM IF. I ALWAYS change these from a MURATA CFW455E (15kHz) to a CFW455G (9kHz).

The display may suffer the odd electrolytic dying and there was a missing earth link problem in early sets. The attenuator relay is prone to stick, making the rig deaf and the FM board relay can stick too, leading to low FM TX power. Servisol works wonders here!

If you're not afraid of a soldering iron and have a bit of savvy where wirelesses are concerned, the 751 makes a fine business rig which may require a bit of tinkering to bring it back to top performance. If you are a bit uncertain or perhaps not as dextrous as you once were, get one from a reputable source.

The IC-751? I recommend it, as long as it's behaving itself!

M0ZOL Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2008 14:13 Send this review to a friend
An icom solid gem!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well purchaced this as a non runner with faults.Spent a good month in the shack in the evenings fault finding as a project and replaced a whole lot of parts.Very inexpensive to sort out but after replacing all the electrlitics and some fet's , rl1 on the connecter board and swithching transistors in the rf sectiion this radio has come to life and i must say that the receive is outstanding with great on air reports a real joy easy to use

KD8GGY Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2008 19:06 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best Radio I have used to date

VE2DC Rating: 2/5 May 19, 2007 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Get the 751A!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was a bad radio and quickly replaced by Icom. The QSK was too slow - the DC to DC converter for the display would blow up frequently... There were a lot of low-level birdies in the RX... I think it didn't have the keyer that the A model had (It's been a while). The pre-driver stage had a tendency to oscillate taking out either the transistor or a pin diode. The rigs RF performance was great... it was just not as reliable as most Icoms I've used. The "A" model addressed all the issues as well as a quieter synthesizer.

VE7HJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2006 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Like the Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just aquired a early IC-751 Icom. It seems to be in good working order. I tried it on CW and thought the relay or break-in speed was good. I did not get a microphone with the radio, but have the SM5 Icom microphone on the way. It was suggested to me that the early 751's were not very reliable. And I would be better off with the IC-751A. I am not sure that I agree, not yet anyway. I have arranged to get the ROM board to replace the original just in case the battery dies.

The rig came with three filters and I hope to get the 2.4 MHz SSB filter soon.
I think this is a great rig for the beginner or even the experinced ham looking for a solid old radio. Maybe one work of advice would be to road test the rig on the air if buying used. Just to make sure there are none of the problems described in the other reviews or on the web.

KI9A Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2006 03:58 Send this review to a friend
solid rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just ran across one of these rigs, and bought it. I have used them at Field Day, and always really admired how well they played. Mine is equipped with cascaded 2.4 SSB filters, and one 500hz cw filter. It hears as well as my 746, and is simple to use...plus the price is right. These are perfect backup rigs, or even main rigs.

AB2SA Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2005 23:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This ICOM isn't a complicated radio to operate, it covers all of the HF bands, and has a general coverage receiver as a bonus. With a simple fixed inverted-V dipole, an antenna tuner, this radio, and waiting for the right DX moments I've worked North, South, and Central America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.

PA3GPA Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2004 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Buy one !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Was I lucky! I purchased a 751 in very good condition for 330 Euro's. To be sure that the radio wouldn't go dead because of battery failure of the standard RAM-unit I replaced this unit with an EPROM/ramboard by Roberto Nardo (see the reviews at EHam, Third-Party Equipment/ IK2RND Replacement Icom Ramboard). I also replaced the standard FL-30 9MHz filter with the InRad 2.1 KHz SSB filter, which improved selectivity even more and made the PBT really work. I use the HM-56 handmike and have not noticed significant difference in TX-audio(see some 751A reviews).
I have owned a IC-746, a very good radio also, but I can say I like the 751 better....
Just get one (or a 751A) while you still can, these excellent radio's are getting rare !

OE2 Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2004 07:51 Send this review to a friend
One of the best oldies !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have use many transceiver before but this RIG
is one of the best 'oldies' that I use !!
Very good performance. With all filter and option you have a great rig seems like better as new one (IC-7400,US version IC-746pro).
The IC-775DSP and IC-781 works very good but to
expensive to have a good rig. So buy an second-hand IC-751 and you have such the same performance with good audio and excellent CW operating!
73's

DL8AAE Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2004 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Rigid and reliable (almost)  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-751 was my second rig, bought new in late 1984. So it's almost 20 years old now and I used it continuously for 16 years, installed most options and some other things over the years... Four years ago I purchased an IC-775DSP and the IC-751 was on standby only for a while and then disappeared to the attic. Now I found it and switched it on and it worked. It is not as good as the 775 but I feel still better than most of the modern small boxes.
The TRX had some failures over the years, all already reported and well known ones, like distorted audio in SSB due to defective trimmers etc. Actually another error occurs, the display goes blind for a while and comes back after warming up. I'll change the electrolytic C's on the display unit by tantals and then I think to have a perfect back up rig for the next 20 years....