Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-751 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-751
ICOM IC-751 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $1400
Description: Icom IC-751 All Mode HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic751/ic751.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-751.

KD8GGY Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2008 19:06 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best Radio I have used to date

VE2DC Rating: 2/5 May 19, 2007 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Get the 751A!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was a bad radio and quickly replaced by Icom. The QSK was too slow - the DC to DC converter for the display would blow up frequently... There were a lot of low-level birdies in the RX... I think it didn't have the keyer that the A model had (It's been a while). The pre-driver stage had a tendency to oscillate taking out either the transistor or a pin diode. The rigs RF performance was great... it was just not as reliable as most Icoms I've used. The "A" model addressed all the issues as well as a quieter synthesizer.

VE7HJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2006 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Like the Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just aquired a early IC-751 Icom. It seems to be in good working order. I tried it on CW and thought the relay or break-in speed was good. I did not get a microphone with the radio, but have the SM5 Icom microphone on the way. It was suggested to me that the early 751's were not very reliable. And I would be better off with the IC-751A. I am not sure that I agree, not yet anyway. I have arranged to get the ROM board to replace the original just in case the battery dies.

The rig came with three filters and I hope to get the 2.4 MHz SSB filter soon.
I think this is a great rig for the beginner or even the experinced ham looking for a solid old radio. Maybe one work of advice would be to road test the rig on the air if buying used. Just to make sure there are none of the problems described in the other reviews or on the web.

KI9A Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2006 03:58 Send this review to a friend
solid rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just ran across one of these rigs, and bought it. I have used them at Field Day, and always really admired how well they played. Mine is equipped with cascaded 2.4 SSB filters, and one 500hz cw filter. It hears as well as my 746, and is simple to use...plus the price is right. These are perfect backup rigs, or even main rigs.

AB2SA Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2005 23:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This ICOM isn't a complicated radio to operate, it covers all of the HF bands, and has a general coverage receiver as a bonus. With a simple fixed inverted-V dipole, an antenna tuner, this radio, and waiting for the right DX moments I've worked North, South, and Central America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.

PA3GPA Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2004 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Buy one !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Was I lucky! I purchased a 751 in very good condition for 330 Euro's. To be sure that the radio wouldn't go dead because of battery failure of the standard RAM-unit I replaced this unit with an EPROM/ramboard by Roberto Nardo (see the reviews at EHam, Third-Party Equipment/ IK2RND Replacement Icom Ramboard). I also replaced the standard FL-30 9MHz filter with the InRad 2.1 KHz SSB filter, which improved selectivity even more and made the PBT really work. I use the HM-56 handmike and have not noticed significant difference in TX-audio(see some 751A reviews).
I have owned a IC-746, a very good radio also, but I can say I like the 751 better....
Just get one (or a 751A) while you still can, these excellent radio's are getting rare !

OE2 Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2004 07:51 Send this review to a friend
One of the best oldies !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have use many transceiver before but this RIG
is one of the best 'oldies' that I use !!
Very good performance. With all filter and option you have a great rig seems like better as new one (IC-7400,US version IC-746pro).
The IC-775DSP and IC-781 works very good but to
expensive to have a good rig. So buy an second-hand IC-751 and you have such the same performance with good audio and excellent CW operating!
73's

DL8AAE Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2004 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Rigid and reliable (almost)  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-751 was my second rig, bought new in late 1984. So it's almost 20 years old now and I used it continuously for 16 years, installed most options and some other things over the years... Four years ago I purchased an IC-775DSP and the IC-751 was on standby only for a while and then disappeared to the attic. Now I found it and switched it on and it worked. It is not as good as the 775 but I feel still better than most of the modern small boxes.
The TRX had some failures over the years, all already reported and well known ones, like distorted audio in SSB due to defective trimmers etc. Actually another error occurs, the display goes blind for a while and comes back after warming up. I'll change the electrolytic C's on the display unit by tantals and then I think to have a perfect back up rig for the next 20 years....

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2003 17:42 Send this review to a friend
A Well Made Work Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 751 is a real sleeper for Icom.....Solid as a rock and can take a great workout. Never had a problem with mine and get great reports on SSB phone on all bands. A great Dx er. Plenty of power with 200 watts, and occasionally use my linear. I think this is a best buy on the used market if you can find a clean one. Works best with the Heil headphones and mic. I liked it so much I have two, one for another location other than home. I guess that says it all. The only thing that would get me to give up mine is the Icom 756 PRO II if I can get beyond the plastic feel. Stuck on the solid feel of the 751.

K4GU Rating: 0/5 Aug 17, 2002 18:25 Send this review to a friend
DON'T BUY THIS RADIO!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio new in August of 1983 and have spent more time working on it that hamming with it. I still own it because I would feel guilty actually trying to sell it to somebody. The only good experience that came out of my owning this radio was that after spending nearly a sixth the cost of the radio in repair bills, I figured out that I was not going to break the stupid thing any worse than it came from the factory. I began working on it myself and it helped helped lead me into a career in electrical engineering.

Problems with this radio included:

Audio distortion on transmit and recieve, which turned out to be a problem with the PLLs FMing. I have replaced the trimmer caps in the PLL three times now, and I think I finally have this problem licked.

The internal switching supply is so noisy that the recieve audio sounds awful. Lining all the internal wiring from the supply with grounded aluminum foil (and saran wrap for insulation!) helps, but I cannot get clean audio with the internal supply.

QSK is THE reason I purchased this rig in the first place, and it has always been stinko. Very harsh, and characters get truncated badly.

When the notch filter was engaged, I got this nasty hiss in the receive audio. This time the problem was a faulty ground on a DC-DC converter behind the front panel.

After the radio gets warm, the display will go completely blank except for the decimal point. This turned out to be a problem with electrolytic caps on the microprocessor board drying out and becoming noisy. Solution was replace all the caps. I have fixed this problem 3 times as well. Last time around, I used tantalum, and so far so good.

On 4 different occaisons, the reciever has died completely. This culprit was a transistor getting fried in the receiver front end (it is haywired in on the bottom of the PCB). I don't use the radio in multi-transmitter environments, and I always disconnect the antenna from the rig when its not in use, so I can't explain how this happens so often.

Three different times, the receive signal would dissappear whey you plugged the outer conductor of the coax to the antenna jack. This was a shorted DC-blocking cap on the antenna switch unit.

Finally, the straw that broke the camels back for me... When I graduated from college and got a job, I celebrated by going out and getting the 9 MHz IF CW filter. I put it in the rig, and when I pushed the filter button, the receive audio went away. After considerable troubleshooting, I found a transistor (Q16) soldered in the main PC board BACKWARDS. I took it out and swapped it around, and the filter worked fine.

The 751 was still pretty new when I purchased mine in 1983, so I realize I was at the front end of the production run. Lesson learned: don't buy a brand-new radio, at least from Icom. I always thought I just had a Monday-morning rig and that maybe my experience wasn't typical, but in 1998 Icom had a service bulletin on the internet that was 7 PAGES LONG on the IC-751. I just checked to see if the link was still active, and it is not. If you are unlucky enough to own one of these radios and need the list of problems (with the fixes), email me at fanning@hiwaay.net and I will send you a copy.

The bottom line. DON'T BUY THIS RADIO, unless you like spending your ham time repairing instead of being on the air.