Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Cushcraft AR6 Ringo 6m Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft AR6 Ringo 6m
Cushcraft AR6 Ringo 6m Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $107.43
Description: Cushcraft Ringo vertical for 6 metres
More info: http://www.cushcraft.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft AR6 Ringo 6m.

NA0AA Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2008 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, I just put mine up, so my comments are to be taken with grain of salt.

Assembly: Easy to put together - two things as mentioned before, one they don't tell you how to install the phasing loop - you have to look at the drawings, and the other is that the shorting bar clamp only fits correctly ONE way and they don't mention that. [Also, with my antenna they packed the wrong instruction sheets - fortunately they have the correct data on the website]

I chose to use the stock clamps, put aluminum conductive paste on the junctions prior to assembly.

I paint antennas for stealth when possible - I rubbed it down with Denatured Alcohol and it takes the camo spray paint very well. This keeps the aluminum from corroding and keeps the visual profile down - something the XYL likes, and I do as well.

The antenna does not take a very large mast - 1.25" tops - I used a single section of fence top rail 10' long that is mounted on my deck railing to get the top of the radiating element about 30' above the ground. At that level, it easily outperformed the Comet X-15 that it replaced. And the radio likes the match better. I was able to connect to a number of repeaters that I could not hit with the X-15 that was in the same location so I'm pleased.

There are more sophisticated antenna out there but I like the easy assembly and low profile - I will get more experience with the winter weather to see if it stands after a good wind storm.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2008 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine up for a couple of years now. It is sidearm mounted on a 40ft tower. Tuning was a snap. <1.5 SWR at 52.525. Used mainly for FM repeater use. My old IC-736 will tune it for SSB so I can play when the band is open. Good antenna for the money, not as good as a beam but then I didnt install it thinking it would!

WA3LWR Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2008 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: months
Owned the unit for over a year. Running just ten watts I have made a lot of USA contacts and had a lot of fun. Never will beat a beam, but for those of us with a limited space situation and neighbors who might not appreciate the beauty of a full size beam, it is perfect.

K7UNZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2007 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Impressed, for sure!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me say that in 47+ years of hamming, I've never really had an interest in VHF operation. Guess I'm still gun shy from the "old" days of channel 2 TVI....

Anyway, having two HF-6M rigs in the shack, I stuck up a simple dipole just to see what was happening "up there." Well, nothing was happening, at least not in my shack. But reading all the 50 MHz "spots" told me something was going on (hi).

Bought this antenna a few weeks ago, and finally got around to putting it up yesterday. About 15' above ground, over the backyard patio roof, fed with RG213, etc., etc..

WOW! Couldn't believe it....the receiver was FULL of signals....beacons from across the country being heard, and at S7-S9 levels!

SWR is 1.1:1 across the band.

Went togeather easily (about a half hour), but there is a slight problem in the instructions. When you are finishing up assembly, the instructions infer that you will tune the antenna per "normal" tuning proceedures a bit later. Only problem is that there are NO tuning instructions in the assembly instructions, anywhere. NOT a problem for me, but I can easily see where someone with little, to no, experiance wou hit a brick wall.

Bottom line, GREAT antenna, and boy, for just a simple vertical, I'm impressed!

Jim/k7unz

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2007 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i never have any problem with mine,i brought friend of mine atfer he SK. ONLY GAVE $20.00 right now it on about 20 ft i love to get my high about 40 to 45 ft up the air.

i have made many contact over the years !! this is a keeper.

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx

W6QE Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2007 23:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This nice 6 meter antenna puts together in a flash, tunes easily per the instructions and works.
I recently took mine down for routine maintenance. I cleaned all of the contact points within the telescoping sections, applied fresh Penetrox and instead of replacing the hose clamps, I drilled 2 holes per joint union and used small stainless sheet metal screws when I reassembled it. I also beefed up the tuning rod connection to the aluminum hoop, discarding the aluminum "U" clamp and bolt and replaced it with a a very small stainless steel nut and bolt. That was touchy drilling, but I was careful and landed on my feet. Everything is now bolted and/or screwed together and re-Penetroxed and locked down. I checked it with my analyzer and nothing changed with my mechanical modifications. It goes back up tomorrow morning with new feed line and with the mechanical modifications I made, it should be good for more years to come.
Incidently, my SWR is 1.1:1 at 51.980 which is the input for my favorite 6M repeater.
It's a great antenna and economical.
'Nuf said.
W6QE
A Know Code ham

WB1AEX Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2005 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and Rugged  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine second hand from a friend. It cleaned up and tuned up fine and is sitting at 70 feet at the top of my tower. It presents a very good match across the entire FM portion of the band, and more. It covers a lot of territory across the hilly CT terrain. No problem getting into all the repeaters within 60+ miles, and no problem working simplex out to a good mobile setup 30 to 40 miles away. Mine started detuning severely in wet weather over the summer. When I brought it down from the tower it turned out that the little cap on the end of the coaxial tuning stub had fallen off, so water would wick up the coaxial braid causing it to no longer be resonant on 6m. Easily fixed with coaxial sealant, tape, and a few tie wraps. No more wet weather problems. This is a rugged and reliable antenna that performs very well.

N3PKC Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2004 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Low Cost and effective  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really like this antenna and the way it tunes, the aluminum design, and the way it will telescope for storage. I bought mine used and it was ready to go for the SSB portion of the band where I'm active. Despite the cross-polarity I was able to work a good amount of Sporadic E with this antenna because it was easy to get up to a reasonable height. I've also worked numerous stations in the past who were using the AR-6 vertical while I was horizontal. It does exactly what it's supposed to and the price is right.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2004 16:47 Send this review to a friend
multipurpose antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna about 9-yrs ago, thinking it was a great way to get on 6-m FM with my new 160-6M all mode rig...had no problem with it's assembly & tuning...the antenna gives me a very low SWR for 6-m FM; run about 75-watts & only mounted 15-ft up on a mast...also use the antenna for my scanner

MM1BYY Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2004 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Simple antenna - or so you would think!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From the instructions this looked really easy to build and tune, and indeed it was once I got it right.
The antenna build takes next to no time at all and the measurements are very accurate for a good SWR right out of the box. However, a word of warning - look at the base figure (Figure 2) very closely. If the ring is connected the other way round the antenna will not tune. There is no mention of this in the actual text and took me ages to figure out.
With that sorted I have less than 1.3:1 over 50-52MHz which is even better than the specs.
Overall, A really good low cost antenna, just maybe a few details missing from the instructions.