Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic Help

Reviews Summary for Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic
Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $124.95
Description: 2M Gain 6.8 dbd (8.9 dBi);440 Gain 7 dBd (9 dBi);20 +dB Front to Back Ratio;24 Inch Boom
More info: http://www.elkantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2017 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Disaster Medicine  Time owned: more than 12 months
During Hurricane Harvey and the subsequent floods here in Houston, the Elk did exactly what was needed. I cannot mount external antennas, so the best omni I had was a flexible J-Pole in the attic. The J-Pole is good for when the AC is working, not so great when local repeaters are down due to flooding knocking all the AC down.

Running a HT without local repeaters, means you need a high performance antenna. The Elk did a great job mounted on a tripod on the second floor to pass some health and welfare traffic. I am grateful I decided to purchase it some time back.

W6KKO Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2017 11:57 Send this review to a friend
A Portable Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works so well I have three. One is always ready to take outside and work the ISS and satellites. Another is with portable gear I use during the VHF/UHF contests. I run Single Op Portable at 10W or less. The third is waiting to be mounted on the roof.

I also use this antenna for local club transmitter hunts and it works very well. The lobes are as one expects and I swing a full 360 using the back to help narrow in on the direction. I have hunted the fox located at 400' ASL or 4500' ASL up into the Sierra Nevada range. This single antenna also provides the ability to really narrow in using the third harmonic as I get closer to the transmitter.

I have pushed 50W through this with no problems (I was not holding it at the time). During a VHF/UHF contest one of them will be vertical while the other is horizontal. The horizontal configuration sits on a separate pole just a few feet above a Buddipole two element configured for 6m.

I have compared the Elk with an Arrow and found that the Elk lobe is wider. This pattern is preferred as it allows me to easily acquire and hold satellites as well as terrestrial stations during VHF/UHF contests without having to constantly armstrong the pole direction.

I actually own four Elk antennas with the fourth being the 220 MHz version.

VK2JHG Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 00:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent portable antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Elk 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic is a cleverly designed portable antenna that is broad banded over both the 2m and 70cm bands. Unlike similar portable directional designs using the Yagi principal, the Elk has polarization for both bands in the same plane as the radiators operate at both 2m and 70cm.

While I haven't measured the antenna's performance against the manufacturer's claims, I have found in practice its performance accords with what I would have expected from those claims.

I have mounted mine on a heavy duty camera tripod, using commonly available plastic plumbing pipe to ensure the radiating elements are kept well above the metal parts of the tripod.

Unlike a Yagi, an odd feature of the Elk is that it is fed at the front and has three boom elements, two of these are aluminium tubes and are part of the feed system providing energy in the correct phase to the radiating elements (in a log periodic any of the elements could effectively be radiators depending on the frequency of operation). The screw in elements range from 41cm to 47cm long and are mounted alternately to the two feed booms. It seems they operate as approximate quarter wave elements on 2m and as five eighth elements on 70cm.

The third boom element is a plastic plumbing tube that provides insulated mechanical support for the antenna.

For proper performance of the Elk it is important to ensure the feed line tracks at right angles to, and as far as possible away from the radiating elements. This can make mounting a bit tricky particularly if like me you are predominantly using vertical polarization.

I have fitted my antenna with an SMA adapter and using RG316 thin bore coax run this along the plastic tube portion of the boom (separated by about two inches from the active feed booms) and 'out the back' using the provided plastic handle to ensure the coax is kept well clear of the radiators before tracking down to ground level. Although in terms of the manufacturer's advice this seems less than ideal I have found in practice the arrangement works tolerably well and doesn't seem to degrade performance to any significant extent.

For its performance the Elk is a very light weight antenna (a pound or so at the most)and while not frail it is not particularly robust either so it needs to be mounted, demounted and transported with care. I have made a handy little padded cloth carry bag for mine to help protect it from the trials and tribulations of field work.

Overall this is an outstanding antenna product using a clever log periodic design. It is suitable both for fixed installation where light weight is important (although it may not be suitable for high wind and icy locations) and for portable work where its light weight and extra 6dB or so of directional gain is going to make a difference.

K1AT Rating: 0/5 Jul 31, 2016 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Poor performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I borrowed a 2M/440L5 from our local radio club for the purpose of DF'ing. I operate a UHF repeater and was suffering from an interference problem on the input frequency.

I found the antenna of no use. It acted as if it was forming multiple main lobes and did not have a particularly well formed null. I tried both vertical and horizontal polarizations.

One of the biggest drawbacks of this design is the mounting of the transmission line connector at the front of the antenna. This necessitates supporting the weight of the coax and the antenna cantilevered far out. This makes positioning the antenna more difficult than it should be.

The connector is also located at the same place on the boom as the forward-most elemeent. With the antenna oriented for vertical polarization the coax drapes right next to this element. This of course could effect the performance with vertical polarization.

For $125 I would expect a more rugged mechanical design and adequate electrical performance.

I did successfully DF the interfering signal using a conventional single band yagi with an ~3 foot boom.

************

eHam Note: Elk antenna's comments here:

KB3H Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2016 16:39 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A well-built antenna which not only met my expectations, but exceeded them electrically, mechanically and esthetically with the black powder coat version. Will be with me on ALL my portable operations henceforth . Many TNX for doing it right!

VE2TH Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2016 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it a couple of months ago, and I'm very satisfied with it. I am using it with my Yaesu FT-817ND, and a small Buddipole mast.
I ordered it with the very solid high quality carrying bag.

Everything fit easily including my coaxial cable, and some fittings for my mast.

I love the PVC mounting system, because you can turn it for Horizontal or Vertical polarization.
I have add 2 foot section of one inch dia. PVC tubing (white) along with a female coupling to screw it on top of my Buddipole mast.

It is light and portable and can be taken anywhere for:

1- Fox hunting

6- Repeaters or simplex FM

7- SSB/CW dx'ing or contest

8- Canwarn in Canada or Skywarn in US

9- Direction Finding

10 Public services events.

Think about it, you have a lightweight dual band beam which cover 144/148 & 430/450 MHz with only one coax cable without the use of a duplexer.

I worked few stations and heard some very distant beacons with the help of some tropo propagation.-

Quick to set up, easy to operate, it is a winning piece of gear. It is an ideal companion of all your adventures and a real Keeper.-

Thumbs up to the ELK Antenna crew.

72/73 Michel VE2TH The QRP'er

AD7DB Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2015 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Really great for FM satellites  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using one of these since I first got on satellites in fall 2014. The SO-50 satellite is very easy to work with this antenna and 5 watts from a dual-band FM transceiver. In suburban areas I've been able to make QSO's if the satellite is above 10 degree elevation. Out in more open country it's even better. Basically your choices for a portable dual-band V/U satellite antenna are this one, or similar antennas from Arrow; I'm sure any would be good choices.
And it's only going to get better folks! Several new FM satellites are going up, starting with the Fox series later in 2015. So get this antenna, get on SO-50 now and enjoy the new ones when they go up!

KE4VVF Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2015 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best antennas I have ever owned! I've had this antenna for over 3 years. It is used mostly for ARES and Public Service. This easily assembled, small, light antenna enables ARES Net Control to operate at 5 watts due to it's high gain. I carry this antenna with me at all times, in a PVC tube in my vehicle trunk.

I was 80 miles from my local repeater in challenging terrain and needed to participate in our ARES net. 75 watts out on a Hustler CG-144 7'6" collinear mobile antenna wouldn't make the contact. Pulled out the Elk Log Periodic and easily contacted the repeater 80 miles away.

If I could only have one 2m/70cm antenna then the Elk Log Periodic would be the one I would choose. It also makes a great HOA attic antenna when used with a rotor.

It's size, weight and gain make it a winner for terrestrial or satellite operations. Get one because it's worth every penny.

W4LCM Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2014 02:36 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it primarily operating portable, quality is excellent, have a very good gain.
I love the PVC mounting to change to match needed polarity and the color-coded elements make ease of assembly and disassembly.

Highly recommended!!

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Big performance!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Put a good coax on this little antenna and go to work. The antenna is easy to assemble. If you use it on an outside pole, be sure it is not a metal pole at within 3 feet of the antenna. It is highly sensitive to metal mast. I use PVC to isolate it from the metal The gain is for real, and a lot of gain for a small antenna at almost 7 dbd. Works great on 2 meters and 440 with good swr. If you have an swr issue, check your coax and make sure it is away from metal masts.