Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic Help

Reviews Summary for Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic
Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic Reviews: 82 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $124.95
Description: 2M Gain 6.8 dbd (8.9 dBi);440 Gain 7 dBd (9 dBi);20 +dB Front to Back Ratio;24 Inch Boom
More info: http://www.elkantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Elk Antennas 2M/440L5 5-element log periodic.

W6ZKH Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2012 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Great compact antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna now for several years, mainly when out roving around in my RV on trips, and use it along with the Yaesu FT60 ht for satellite work. Works very well and nice and compact for storage. One thing though, you have to add $50 to that price listed as hasnt been that price in 3-4 years...

W5PFG Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Satellite Killer  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Elk is a tool any satellite enthusiast must have in their toolbag. I have built log periodic dipole arrays before but it's hard to homebrew something of good design and quality as the Elk for less money and time.

I have used my Elk to make numerous contacts on AO-27, SO-50, FO-29, VO-52, AO-7, and AO-51. Literally 100's of contacts, portable, from dozens of maidenhead grids. The antenna has traveled in the trunk of my company car either assembled or not for 1000's of miles. After all the abuse and road trips, the only thing that happened were some screws fell out and Ray was kind enough to replace them at no charge.

I would not hesitate to recommend this antenna.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2012 13:00 Send this review to a friend
I'm impresed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this used for a lot less than retail.. had looked at them in the store at AES but honestly, I thought "white PVC pipe... cheap, not well made.." Well....I was wrong... I have both the Arrow 2/440 hand-held and this, and I have to say the ELK is SOOOO much better made than the Arrow... sturdier elements, fun color coding, and the PVC can be easily changed to match needed polarity. Used on satellites and also for terrestrial wildlife telemetry, and this is my antenna of choice... de KK8ZZ

N4NSP Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2012 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna does extremely well on SSB and FM. I use it primarily on camping trips operating portable on 144.200 MHz. Typical results in Virginia provide 2 or 3 state coverage and the ability to hear beacons into the NE US and on occasion into Canadian Maritimes, including the 2 meter beacon in Halifax, NS.

The color-coded elements make ease of assembly and disassembly is a real plus. It neatly tucks into the vehicle for a trip. N4NSP

KI6AOK Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2011 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Elk for FM satellite work and it definitely excels! I love the ability to use PVC for the mast and fittings. I took the Elk out to a public service event working FM simplex and it did a terrific job on top of a "pruner pole" mast. Ray at Elk was quick to respond to a question I had...what more can you ask? Highly recommended.

K6MLF Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2011 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Saves my bacon!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I regularly participate in public service events in Marin and Sonoma Counties, hilly country just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Last weekend I was on station on the Pacific shoreline north of Bodega Bay, trying to hit (and hear) the repeater on Sonoma Mountain, 20 miles to the SE, and over a half-dozen ridges. With the 55w mobile radio? No luck. But using a 5w HT with the Elk, mounted on an 18' painter's pole? No problem. Same thing last month--in a hole near Muir Woods National Park. I could hit the remote input (I was told) to the K6GWE repeater, 10 miles to the NE and over three high ridges, including the shoulder of Mount Tamalpais. But no rx signal--not even a crackle. Again, with the Elk on the pole, full bars. This antenna has been assembled and disassembled several dozen times, and is still like new. Sturdy, easy to use, incredibly effective. Get one! The service and design is terrific.

KD0JWY Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Awesome little Gem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hello all, This is KD0JWY and I use this antenna for many things. I use it to work both the FM and SSB amateur satellites. I also use it as a base antenna for both VHF/UHF and also change polarization to use SSB VHF/UHF. It works great, Lots of gain, I am able to hit repeaters with 5 watts 60+ miles away. It's very well made. Easy to take apart and to take down. If I ever need a replacement you betcha i will be another one of these. Definitely worth the money. 73's from KD0JWY

W6QT Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Well Made  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna was set up and tested at a height of 55' in the Republic of the Philippines in the Subic Bay area. The location of this antenna is a couple of hundred feet below the hills that surround me, yet when it is directed northeast it easily picks up Metro Manila repeaters with vertical polarization. The reports I'm getting are all positive. It hears very well!

This antenna can be assembled in less than 5 minutes. It is worth the $125.00 I spent at HRO.

W9CAC Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2011 17:45 Send this review to a friend
An Antenna for HOA's.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a very severe HOA regarding antennas. My only option is my attic as there is nothing allowed on the roofs. Only dish antennas between 18 to 30" are allowed and are inspected by the board after installation.
Got this antenna back in February. Must say, it works great. For the first 2 weeks, I used it while it laid on my couch. Yes, I could hit 5 repeaters on 2 meters and about 8 all within about 30 miles from my couch. It is now in my attic on a rotator, even inside the attic, it has about 100 to 120 mile radius for repeaters now.
At this point, I plan on buying a second one for doing handheld satellite work. I tested it out before installing it in the attic, very promising results, that is why I am going to get the second one.
One thing for sure. Use the blue locktite on the threads to secure the elements. It is absolutely necessary.

KF6AOY Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2011 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the 2 meter/440 antenna from HRO for a portable emergency station. Glad I did! This
antenna is very light weight and easy to assemble as all the elements are color coded for
quick assembly. I live in the desert town of
Ridgecrest California and we are surrounded by
mountains so I knew I would need a good antenna to reach out beyond the mountains. Rolled out
the portable base station to a dirt field at the
end of my street to try it out. Wow, I was hitting several repeaters between 100 and 130
miles out no problem using a Yaesu FT-2900R
I gave this product a 5 for several reasons:
1. Great support from Ray at Elk Antennas.
2. The Antenna works great.
3. The price is very reasonable.
4. Quick and easy to assemble.
5. Light weight and great for portable use.
6. Found no other antenna that could do all this.