Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Larsen NMO 2/70 Help

Reviews Summary for Larsen NMO 2/70
Larsen NMO 2/70 Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $54.00 @ HRO
Description: dual-band 2m/440 nmo mount mobile
More info: http://www.radialllarsen.com

You can write your own review of the Larsen NMO 2/70.

ZS1SA Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2016 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Built to last  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Larsen antenna in 1989. It has been mounted at the top of my tower with the optional radial kit ever since and still working 100 percent today, 27 years later. I am still working the same repeaters 40 miles away that I worked when I first installed it. Well built product.

K5ACL Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2016 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Larsen kicks the Diamonds butt!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
So over the last 9 months, I've been testing out a Larsen 2/70 nmo antenna against a Diamond NR770HNMO.

I have a little write up that you can follow along here:

The Larsen just wins in every category IMHO, ruggedness, ease of install, parts replacement, looks, reliability, you name it. It was also a few dollars cheaper than the Diamond.

I do miss the ability to fold the antenna over, but I keep a crescent wrench in my truck, and it takes me two seconds to remove the whip if needed.

The base of the unit is just so much more stable than these other antennas on the market today. The SWR was also slightly better on UHF on the Larsen, not sure if it's due to the additional coil & shortening of the whip? SWR was the same on VHF.

The Diamond would occasionally gather moisture on the nmo contact point, the Larsen seals against the sheet metal preventing this.

It's a no brainer...

VE6BGM Rating: 1/5 Jun 12, 2016 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Bingo  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having heard all the great things about this Larsen antenna, I bit the bullet and bought one. Did not check SWR. Changed mounting position and thought I better check SWR. Way out of wack. I thought it was just the position of where it was mounted. Thought I would put a couple of other manufacturers antenna on the same mount and Bingo, no SWR problems. Tried 3 different antennas from different manufacturers and SWR on 2 and 70 were right on without any adjustments. Will try the Larsen again when I have time to play with it but my first impression is why spend all that money.

N8DJR Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2016 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great until the wee little capacitor blows  Time owned: more than 12 months
Larsen was acquired by Pulse Electronics in 2006, Larsen becomes a Pulse brand with factories in of all places CHINA. Until recently I have noticed a few quality control issues with the loading coils specifically with the capacitor soldered to the copper coil winding inside the loaded base. Don't get me wrong these are still one of the top dual band hi gain mobile antennas out there but beware of some duds, if you find yourself with high SWR and can't understand why, now you know!

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2016 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Simply unbeatable service life  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own several of these critters, one of them has a couple hundred thousand miles on multiple different vehicles. This is through driving -40 degree blizzards, to +110 degree summer heat waves, high in the Wyoming mountains. Through it all, they just keep working.

I've tried every kind of mobile VHF/UHF antenna on the market. most will only last a year or two here. Hit a tree branch at 35mph when it's -40 degrees outside . . . . The cheap brands will shatter like ice.

If you are contemplating a mobile antenna, I'll give you some advice. Look at all of the critical duty vehicles in your area (police, fire,EMS). What antennas are they using? I can guarantee they are not some amateur off brand from across the ocean. If you want reliability look at the Larsens.

N4WFK Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Love it, would buy again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Diamond 770NMO 2/70 lost continuity from the base tab to where the whip attaches. Tried heating up the area on the top of the coil section but that didn't bring it back. Something else further inside the coil is gone or a solder joint is bad, I guess. Never more than 50 watts into it. I've run Larsen NMO antennas on my vehicles for years with never a problem so I ordered two of their NMO 2/70 antennas. One went on my SUV roof on a through the roof mount and the other went on one of the cars on a Diamond K400 trunk lip mount. Very low SWR's on both installations on 2m and 70cm. Fit and finish seem good as expected. I'd order the same again. We'll see how they hold up over the years but I've got several Larsen NMO antennas from the 90's and none of them have ever failed. I've used eHam a lot over the years when I was looking at something to buy. Hope this helps someone interested in these antennas. Price paid on these was $69.95 each. I think Gigaparts has them about $5 cheaper but I'm closer to HRO. John, N4WFK

N6XJP Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Lasting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got one of these that has been in constant service for ....wait for it.....26 years!
Gosh, I hope it lasts.

Dave
N6XJP

NS6W Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Simple, sturdy design. Excellent characteristics for the money.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an excellent choice for a mobile dual-band setup. The mechanical design is simple and reliable; the antenna easily survives tree branches and other low-hanging obstacles. The RF properties are great too, never leaving you in doubt whether you're gonna make that repeater or not. If you'll be parking in low-clearance garages, get yourself an NMO2/70SH version.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2015 23:51 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rugged & reliable... what more is there to say? Mine has been on the roof of the truck for 4 years now. Not a single issue. My truck is a lifted 4x4, it sits VERY tall. Low hanging branches have not been an issue. I've beat the heck out of this antenna with low limbs & sometimes say to myself " OUCH, bet that one ripped of the antenna!" Get out for an inspection & it's in fine order. They're stout, I can vouch for that. Range with this antenna is as good as any mobile antenna. I'll continue to use Larsen NMO's for all of my mobile installs.

KJ4AHI Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2014 20:27 Send this review to a friend
great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna(open coil) mounted on the center roof of my GMC pickup for 7 years and it has been through numerous drive throughs and one parking garage(couldn't help it). It still performs flawlessly with my Icomm ic208h and I have even made simplex contacts from Mt Mitchell, NC back home to Sanford, NC. If you are committed enough to cut a hole in the roof of YOUR brand new crew cab pickup, this is the antenna you should use!