Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Larsen NMO 2/70 Help

Reviews Summary for Larsen NMO 2/70
Larsen NMO 2/70 Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $54.00 @ HRO
Description: dual-band 2m/440 nmo mount mobile

You can write your own review of the Larsen NMO 2/70.

KC9PDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2014 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Larsen NMO 2/70B  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this antenna for 5 yrs on 2 vehicles. Very good performer. Had an issue last week. Seems the spring on the bottom of the coil that connects to the top of the nmo mount came loose. Sent an email to Larsen Antennas and they just sent a response telling me that the coil is defective. They are sending me a new coil! How is that for standing behind your product? I do not know of any warrenty, but after 5 yrs on the truck, they are still willing to stand behind thier product just made me a Larsen antenna for my mobiles all the time, every time guy!
K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 11:06 Send this review to a friend
What more can be said that hasn't been said already!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the Larsen W2/70B at HRO this morning. It has a manufacture date on it of 9/23/13. Considering it is now 10/21/13, I have to assume it is the latest production with any updates if any. Well, all I can say is WOW!!!

Right out of the box, I put it on the NMO mount of my car and it has a SWR of 1.03 ar 144 to 1.49 at 148 mHz. On UHF, it was 1.30 at 435 mHz and went up to 1.65 at 450 mHz. What more to ask!

I'm in a relatively low location but made a 35 mile contact sitting in my driveway. The station said I was full quieting. What more to ask!

Way to go Larsen!
N2VRO Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Best mobile antenna I've ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hate to beat a dead horse but the reviews below mine and I'm sure those to follow mine all say the same thing. This antenna simply ROCKS. It performs well, has a rock solid construction and is priced just right when you compare it to the competitors.

I've had mine for close to 2 years now and I don't have a single complaint.
W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 21:42 Send this review to a friend
BEATS A DIAMOND! {:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several VHF/UHF antennas over the years but NONE have EVER out performed a LARSEN.I am now running the LARSEN 2/70B with my ICOM 208H & it's a winning combination.STOP wasting your money on those OVER PRICED "DIAMOND" antennas & get yourself a LARSEN & save lots of time & money! LARSEN is SIMPLY THE BEST antennas for VHF/UHF mobile antennas hands down.Dependable & service that is second to none! {:>)

KD6WKY Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2012 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Dependable by the Decade  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Larson NMO 2m/70cm mobile antenna for over a decade attaching it to a truck lid mount first on my 2002 Dodge Intrepid and then my 2008 Honda Civic GX.

It is plenty antenna for typical mobile use with local repeaters. The low profile and spring at the bottom make it perfect for a trunk lid application.

I take the antenna off when going to the car wash just to make sure it doesn't get damaged; you never know anymore at car washes. An extra oh ring is a handy thing to keep around in case the oh ring that comes with the antenna is lost or broken. Go over to Ace Hardware and match one up for 10 cents and keep it handy.
VK2BEN Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Great performance & Stealthy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine from HRO, along with matching Larsen NMO trunk mount. It fitted quickly and easily to my 2003 Subaru sedan.
This model was chosen for the fact that it is a [loaded] 1/2-wave on 2m; requiring no ground plane. Important point for me, as I am not in a position to drill a hole in my roof for central antenna placement.
This antenna performs very well for me on both bands. It is quite tall (85cm+), which is OK as a trunk-mounted solution. It would be too tall if I were to roof-mount it.
However, even being so tall it is incredibly stealthy! The muted black paint job matches my black car and is very difficult to see against most backgrounds. This means it attracts less of the wrong type of attention.
The centre coil is an integral part of the antenna element; meaning no grub screws to come loose. However, it is worth mentioning that there are grub screws connecting the antenna to the screw-on base section....which then screws onto the matching coil housing at the bottom. Watch that you tighten these sufficiently!

One note on Larsen service: Brilliant.

On the second day of using my antenna, I suddenly could not receive all but the strongest signal. And nobody could hear me very well either.
So, I pulled the antenna off and checked all the connections. The matching coil at the bottom smelled burnt! So I emailed Larsen directly and asked if they would help me directly (rather than spend even more time going thru the retailer) - and they replied very promptly. Apparently, they knew that some components in the matching circuit could be faulty.
Lucky me that I got one of those....being about as far away from the USA as a customer could be!
However, Larsen shipped out a replacement part with FedEx at no cost to me. And the new part has been working fine ever since!
Thanks, Larsen!!
Hope you all have as satisfying an experience with their products as I have.

Sydney, Australia.
N8DXB Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2011 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning many mobile antennas over the past 30 years, I wanted a good dual band antenna to replace the wave dual band antenna on my truck, and this 2/70 enden up being a excellent performing antenna. It tuned great with a swr under 1.4 on the band edges and 1.1 in the center of the bands. Plus, with it being only 34 inched long with the optional spring added (after tuning); I can leave it on the truck all of the time. It clears my 10 foot garage ceiling by three inchas and it bends over nicely going through my eight foot garage door. I would recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a great dual band antenna.
W4IW Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2010 12:52 Send this review to a friend
The ONLY Dual Band Mobile Antenna In My Book  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these to replace another brand dual band antenna (either D or C, I'll have to dig out the old bill) which didn't last very long. It was on my personal vehicle and one limb over a highway took it out by ruining the membrane in the tilt-over.

I read the reviews and decided to give this one a try and added the spring kit (I cut off about 3 inches of the antenna, the length of the spring) and mounted it on the roof of a Ford Explorer work truck that is used to service tower sites in Eastern KY. It has been to the highest points in KY in 19 or 20 different counties for more than 3 years and still looks and works like new out of the box.

And work it does, it is a fantastic antenna. It's part of my mobile package that gets rave reports and has for years.

After using this, I wouldn't even try another brand.
KX5F Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2010 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several of these, one thing I found out that they are critical to feedline length. One I had I could not get the swr below 2.1 no matter what I did, I added 18" of coax to the feedline and it worked fine. Just my 2cents. Patrick
K0WVM Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2010 18:50 Send this review to a friend
18 Years & still going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
That's right, still punching out like a champ for an equivalent to an adult in human years! I received this antenna as a high school graduation gift in the early summer of 1992 and it operates off the NMO magmount box it originally came with. I have used it on my parents van wherever we traveled and especially on a Thanksgiving road trip from N. Virginia to N. Central WV., before I went into the Air Force in January of 1993. It worked well then traveling through the Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains, hitting distant repeaters along the way.

It also sat in use on three previous trunk hoods of vehicles that I have owned in years past (A 1994 Saturn SL1, 1999 Nissan Maxima which was traded in for my XYL to get a 2002 Dodge Durango and a 2000 Chevy Malibu). Now it sits towards the center rear of my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, (Malibu traded in for this van) about 6 inches from where the lip of the back hatch and top meet.

I have never had any issues with this antenna. I also unscrew the antenna and clean off the contacts periodically (every couple of years), as I will do this again before the summer is out. I might look at eventually purchasing a Comet SSB-5NMO to put into use and compare these two antennas. The only thing I changed was to cut off the factory PL-259 connector and replace it a sturdier PL-259 connector. But, even for the minimal abuse I have put this thing through as it approaches 20 years of owning it, it has never failed me. Give this antenna a chance before you decide to go with a more expensive option. You might become pleasantly surprised at what you experience.