Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Larsen NMO 2/70 Help

Reviews Summary for Larsen NMO 2/70
Larsen NMO 2/70 Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $54.00 @ HRO
Description: dual-band 2m/440 nmo mount mobile
More info: http://www.radialllarsen.com

You can write your own review of the Larsen NMO 2/70.

N6XJP Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Lasting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got one of these that has been in constant service for ....wait for it.....26 years!
Gosh, I hope it lasts.

Dave
N6XJP

NS6W Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Simple, sturdy design. Excellent characteristics for the money.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an excellent choice for a mobile dual-band setup. The mechanical design is simple and reliable; the antenna easily survives tree branches and other low-hanging obstacles. The RF properties are great too, never leaving you in doubt whether you're gonna make that repeater or not. If you'll be parking in low-clearance garages, get yourself an NMO2/70SH version.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2015 23:51 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rugged & reliable... what more is there to say? Mine has been on the roof of the truck for 4 years now. Not a single issue. My truck is a lifted 4x4, it sits VERY tall. Low hanging branches have not been an issue. I've beat the heck out of this antenna with low limbs & sometimes say to myself " OUCH, bet that one ripped of the antenna!" Get out for an inspection & it's in fine order. They're stout, I can vouch for that. Range with this antenna is as good as any mobile antenna. I'll continue to use Larsen NMO's for all of my mobile installs.

KJ4AHI Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2014 20:27 Send this review to a friend
great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna(open coil) mounted on the center roof of my GMC pickup for 7 years and it has been through numerous drive throughs and one parking garage(couldn't help it). It still performs flawlessly with my Icomm ic208h and I have even made simplex contacts from Mt Mitchell, NC back home to Sanford, NC. If you are committed enough to cut a hole in the roof of YOUR brand new crew cab pickup, this is the antenna you should use!

KC9PDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2014 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Larsen NMO 2/70B  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this antenna for 5 yrs on 2 vehicles. Very good performer. Had an issue last week. Seems the spring on the bottom of the coil that connects to the top of the nmo mount came loose. Sent an email to Larsen Antennas and they just sent a response telling me that the coil is defective. They are sending me a new coil! How is that for standing behind your product? I do not know of any warrenty, but after 5 yrs on the truck, they are still willing to stand behind thier product just made me a Larsen antenna for my mobiles all the time, every time guy!

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 11:06 Send this review to a friend
What more can be said that hasn't been said already!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the Larsen W2/70B at HRO this morning. It has a manufacture date on it of 9/23/13. Considering it is now 10/21/13, I have to assume it is the latest production with any updates if any. Well, all I can say is WOW!!!

Right out of the box, I put it on the NMO mount of my car and it has a SWR of 1.03 ar 144 to 1.49 at 148 mHz. On UHF, it was 1.30 at 435 mHz and went up to 1.65 at 450 mHz. What more to ask!

I'm in a relatively low location but made a 35 mile contact sitting in my driveway. The station said I was full quieting. What more to ask!

Way to go Larsen!

N2VRO Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Best mobile antenna I've ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hate to beat a dead horse but the reviews below mine and I'm sure those to follow mine all say the same thing. This antenna simply ROCKS. It performs well, has a rock solid construction and is priced just right when you compare it to the competitors.

I've had mine for close to 2 years now and I don't have a single complaint.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 21:42 Send this review to a friend
BEATS A DIAMOND! {:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several VHF/UHF antennas over the years but NONE have EVER out performed a LARSEN.I am now running the LARSEN 2/70B with my ICOM 208H & it's a winning combination.STOP wasting your money on those OVER PRICED "DIAMOND" antennas & get yourself a LARSEN & save lots of time & money! LARSEN is SIMPLY THE BEST antennas for VHF/UHF mobile antennas hands down.Dependable & service that is second to none! {:>)

KD6WKY Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2012 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Dependable by the Decade  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Larson NMO 2m/70cm mobile antenna for over a decade attaching it to a truck lid mount first on my 2002 Dodge Intrepid and then my 2008 Honda Civic GX.

It is plenty antenna for typical mobile use with local repeaters. The low profile and spring at the bottom make it perfect for a trunk lid application.

I take the antenna off when going to the car wash just to make sure it doesn't get damaged; you never know anymore at car washes. An extra oh ring is a handy thing to keep around in case the oh ring that comes with the antenna is lost or broken. Go over to Ace Hardware and match one up for 10 cents and keep it handy.

VK2BEN Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Great performance & Stealthy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine from HRO, along with matching Larsen NMO trunk mount. It fitted quickly and easily to my 2003 Subaru sedan.
This model was chosen for the fact that it is a [loaded] 1/2-wave on 2m; requiring no ground plane. Important point for me, as I am not in a position to drill a hole in my roof for central antenna placement.
This antenna performs very well for me on both bands. It is quite tall (85cm+), which is OK as a trunk-mounted solution. It would be too tall if I were to roof-mount it.
However, even being so tall it is incredibly stealthy! The muted black paint job matches my black car and is very difficult to see against most backgrounds. This means it attracts less of the wrong type of attention.
The centre coil is an integral part of the antenna element; meaning no grub screws to come loose. However, it is worth mentioning that there are grub screws connecting the antenna to the screw-on base section....which then screws onto the matching coil housing at the bottom. Watch that you tighten these sufficiently!

One note on Larsen service: Brilliant.

On the second day of using my antenna, I suddenly could not receive all but the strongest signal. And nobody could hear me very well either.
So, I pulled the antenna off and checked all the connections. The matching coil at the bottom smelled burnt! So I emailed Larsen directly and asked if they would help me directly (rather than spend even more time going thru the retailer) - and they replied very promptly. Apparently, they knew that some components in the matching circuit could be faulty.
Lucky me that I got one of those....being about as far away from the USA as a customer could be!
However, Larsen shipped out a replacement part with FedEx at no cost to me. And the new part has been working fine ever since!
Thanks, Larsen!!
Hope you all have as satisfying an experience with their products as I have.

Ben VK2BEN