Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle
American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ $69.95 + $4.00 S&H
Description: Miniature Size Iambic Paddle - 1 1/2 x 1 7/8 x 1 Inch, 2.5 Ounces.
Machined Aircraft Aluminum, anodized finish.
Gap and spring force adjustable.
Drilled & tapped base for mounting on Leg Mount or Desk Base
More info: http://www.americanmorse.com

You can write your own review of the American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle.

K9KHJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2012 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Tough little bugger  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used via Ebay as I thought it looked good--and am convinced I will never part with it. Tough, responsive, set-it and forget-it. Can't remember the last time I needed to adjust it.

K6DGW Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Really nice paddle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a very small, very light paddle for Summits On The Air expeditions. After several summit trips, I decided the old Bencher was just too heavy.

I bought the AME Porta-Paddle at the 2011 Pacificon. Assembly went sort of OK, the instructions are old, and I finally figured out why there were no 4-40 brass nuts that were called for [use springs instead], but I did get it together fine. The little Delrin lock nut was a bear to get started.

I also bought his little base kit with a nicely machined base plate. It included some "uber-velcro," sticky back, and my paddle is now mounted on the corner of a clipboard, solid as a rock, which also holds my log and scratch paper. You can get the "velcro" apart, but it takes a screw driver to get it started.

So far, the paddle has held the adjustments just fine. He says the flanges on the levers should be down, and mine are, but I'm thinking of reversing that. I'm left-handed and while I can paddle with either hand, on the clipboard, I prefer left, and my hand is in a position with my thumb up just a tad. I've been using it at home instead of my HexKey, and I really like it.

I think I got a really neat little paddle, very light, very nicely machined, and very comfortable to use. There are other lightweight paddles out there which may feel a little better, but for the money, this one is really cool!

W2KLS Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this from Doug last week and put it together in 15 minutes, and I'm all thumbs. The key is perfectly machined, the settings stay put, and the base I bought from him also really gives the paddle stability, and I'm a heavy hand. I have it connected to my FT-857D and I use it both portable and as a base key. I have it right next to my N0SA and Begali!!!!! Get one, you won't be sorry. Good job Doug!

KA7PLE Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2010 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Little paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This little paddle kit went together easily, with no missing parts. No burs or sharp edges the finish looks great. The paddle is fully and quickly adjustable, the springs on the spacing screws hold the adjustment despite all the bouncing around in my go kit. The action is very smooth and precise. I have dropped the key on hard surfaces with no damage, and no need to readjust it.
If you do any portable or mobile operation, or just want a good small key to use at the home QTH, I Very highly recommend this paddle. I plan on getting the Mini-B sideswiper from them at well. Great company, great customer service, and very good and reliable products.

ka7ple
Mike

N6OSB Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2010 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great portable paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love the porta paddle. I built the kit but left with left over parts. Not sure what to do with left them. Kit came with no instructions. Looked on website and only OLD instructions were available. Other than that great key.

KA1YMX Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2009 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Good Quality and Feel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been searching for a portable paddle to take with me on hiking trips for several months. I never even considered the Porta-Paddle until I read a review in QST. I ended up buying a paddle after reading the review.
The assembly is very simple and all of the parts fits perfectly. The paddle operates very well for the size. A base plate or leg strap is neccessary in order to use it, since it is very light.
I would recommend this paddle to anyone looking for the perfect travel paddle.

AB0TX Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2008 13:06 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this for the car with the leg strap and find myself using it in the shack. I have worked quite a few stations with it and operation is really nice. It is a lot smoother than I thought it was going to be. You will need the leg strap or the steel base as it is extreamly light by itself.

Shipping was really fast! I bought mine on a Monday with paypal and it was in the mail box on Wednesday when I got home from work!

It is a kit and I was skeptical about how it was going to perform. I built the Black Widow key and it was ok but it does not feel as precise as the Porta Paddle. It has a very nice feel and I am impressed. I have a Kent and N3ZN ZN-9N which I also love dearly and the Porta Paddle is one of my favorites.

Get one! You won't be disappointed.
Mike
AB0TX

WN9E Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2008 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased one at Dayton 2007 and I couldn't be happier with it. This little thing is built solid. It's ridden around with me in my truck for almost a year and is no worse for the wear. Nice action. I'm looking forward to picking up a leg mount this year. ;-)

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2007 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Super small paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
The little key just amazes me, forget the plastic junk out there, buy a real paddle, super small but works as well with a QRO rig as it does a QRP radio. You get your money's worth on this key and it is made to last. The customer support is excellent and they now offer this paddle with a black base instead of the white one you see on the website. Doug is an A-1 Ham and a pleasure to deal with, This is the second paddle I have purchased from them and have been very pleased. 73 Jim N0XE

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice feel  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked one of these up for DXPeditions, really like it, often use it in preference to my Bencher. It is miles better than a Vibroplex magnetic unit. Very rugged, never needs adjustment. Definitely better than a touch key system, better feel, fewer errors. Definitely better than a Bull Dog, although the dog is cuter. This lever is good for QRQ.