Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle
American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $ $69.95 + $4.00 S&H
Description: Miniature Size Iambic Paddle - 1 1/2 x 1 7/8 x 1 Inch, 2.5 Ounces.
Machined Aircraft Aluminum, anodized finish.
Gap and spring force adjustable.
Drilled & tapped base for mounting on Leg Mount or Desk Base
More info: http://www.americanmorse.com

You can write your own review of the American Morse Equipment, Porta-Paddle.

AB0TX Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2008 13:06 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this for the car with the leg strap and find myself using it in the shack. I have worked quite a few stations with it and operation is really nice. It is a lot smoother than I thought it was going to be. You will need the leg strap or the steel base as it is extreamly light by itself.

Shipping was really fast! I bought mine on a Monday with paypal and it was in the mail box on Wednesday when I got home from work!

It is a kit and I was skeptical about how it was going to perform. I built the Black Widow key and it was ok but it does not feel as precise as the Porta Paddle. It has a very nice feel and I am impressed. I have a Kent and N3ZN ZN-9N which I also love dearly and the Porta Paddle is one of my favorites.

Get one! You won't be disappointed.
Mike
AB0TX

WN9E Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2008 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased one at Dayton 2007 and I couldn't be happier with it. This little thing is built solid. It's ridden around with me in my truck for almost a year and is no worse for the wear. Nice action. I'm looking forward to picking up a leg mount this year. ;-)

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2007 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Super small paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
The little key just amazes me, forget the plastic junk out there, buy a real paddle, super small but works as well with a QRO rig as it does a QRP radio. You get your money's worth on this key and it is made to last. The customer support is excellent and they now offer this paddle with a black base instead of the white one you see on the website. Doug is an A-1 Ham and a pleasure to deal with, This is the second paddle I have purchased from them and have been very pleased. 73 Jim N0XE

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice feel  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked one of these up for DXPeditions, really like it, often use it in preference to my Bencher. It is miles better than a Vibroplex magnetic unit. Very rugged, never needs adjustment. Definitely better than a touch key system, better feel, fewer errors. Definitely better than a Bull Dog, although the dog is cuter. This lever is good for QRQ.

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Will DO the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these with the base (blue key, black base) at the De Anza College swapmeet and I am happy! The key bolts onto the base with two #6 screws, and has a hole for a 3rd #6 screw for attaching a "wire clamp" to strain-relieve the cable. Which I did.

The base is surprisingly weighty, a good testiment to the density of ferrous metals. More interestingly, my CW elmer, the heavy-handed Dr. Dit, actually manages to bat a HexKey around on the table, but this one stays put. It's a matter of feel, I guess.

There's also a neat leg mount sold for this, and I'm considering it. With the easy mounting method, there are also many easy ways to rig up something to put this on a small board that clips to your rig's stand-up bail, etc.

The workmanship is very good, and it's simply and robustly built. However, the adjustment nuts are brass, which may look pretty but..... I find the adjustment method is basically the same as on Honda motorcycles, adjust, tighten nuts, and hope they stay put. I favor the Kawasaki method, painstakingly choose shims to get it right, then forget for 100,000 miles. Washers as shims work great, and with everything tightened down, won't go much of anywhere. You may well need different thicknesses under each side as I did, but no matter. Once the right ones are found, set, and forget.

I plan to use this key for home and portable operations. Just a very very cool little unit.

K2JN Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2005 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Precision mini-iambic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A nice addition to the collection and a good size for QRP field operation. Quality machined construction throughout with a soft touch action. I also purchased the KE6RIE straight key, another little gem. Both go well with my Elecraft K1.

WA3VAT Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2005 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Best buy regardless of low cost.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned paddles by two of the main paddle companies in the States.
Having sold them because they were very run of the mill and not impressive, I purchased the porta paddle and base.
This is a well made rugged paddle that will last a life time. I cannot say enough about it. This will be the last paddle I own. I do not need to look for another. My money was well spent.

W0AV Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2005 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A thoughtful and generous ham buddy gave me a Porta-Paddle for my 84th birthday in Feb. 05.

In my 70 years of hamming I have used quite an assortment of keys, bugs and paddles, including most of the current favorites.

Since I received the Porta-Paddle it has occupied the place of (CW) honor on my desk. I enjoy using it with my Elecraft K2 and my "other" rig, a TS-2000. Planning to give the paddle a real workout on Field Day with the computer as a back-up. Well done, American Morse!
73 de George/W0AV

W1TF Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2004 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Miniture paddle, feels great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This paddle was easy to get used to and has great feel. My sending speed (before errors started) increased about 30% from the paddle I had been using. Feel, looks, satisfaction with use makes this unit a 5 on your scale.
I also bought the Desk Base, really makes the paddle solid in use. For portable use the base will be left home. The paddle will be mounted to a board along with the K1. Very pleased with the look and feel of this paddle.

(Powder Coated Desk Base for Porta-Paddle.
Heavy (1 1/3 pounds) steel Powder Coated White.
Imparts incredibly solid feel to the Porta-Paddle.
Includes rubber feet and mounting hardware. $17.95 + $5 S&H.)

73, W1TF