Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola Saber Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola Saber
Motorola Saber Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3000
Description: Saber-1, -2 or -3 VHF or UHF software programmable handheld radios

You can write your own review of the Motorola Saber.

N5WSU Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2012 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Astro Saber III  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this radio! I traded a Johnson radio for it and I'm an very please the way it works. And it so easy to program with the CPS software. Here in San Antonio P-25 is getting a foot hold and I'm ready when the new P-25 VHF repeater will be setup. So if you are ever in town look us up on 146.520 and 146.460 P-25 73!

W2ZOU Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2012 11:25 Send this review to a friend
No more Intermod  Time owned: more than 12 months
ok, its big, its heavy, its mono band, you have to program it from an old dos computer. But once you do all this, you will never go amateur again. Loud audio, I rarely go above 3 on the dial. Many mic options, antenna options. Built like a tank. If you are a ham, you HAVE to fool around with commercial equipment a bit. Its just plain great. This is why the cops and fire dept depend on them. These radios are virtually immune from intermod. Advice: make sure you get the right band split unit or it will NEVER work in the ham band. Take my word for it, after you program it and use it, YOU WILL LOVE IT.

N0CRC Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Motorola Saber II (146-178) VHF

I bought this radio after my HT1000 decided to take a nosedive, never been happier.

Clean cut loud audio, solid well built design and overall a good radio

I will admit it is a little heavy to carry around (Looking to get a leather holster to fix that). As far as the battery life it is by far better then any amateur ht I have worked with, charge it every couple days and it will run like a workhorse. With the smart charger it takes the worry of overcharge or undercharge of a battery

The only con that I have run in to is programing, the radio shops around my home are not to nice to work with some charging just to ask a question of a tech and flat out refusing to work with any ham freq and abiding by what the rules say. I have to go a little distance to get great service but I don't mind after what I had to deal with before

Overall a great radio and would be looking for some other commercial equipment in the future

AC0MA Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2011 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Still outclasses most ham ht's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 8 of these large gems. Never have let me down easy to program with CPS (yes you'll pay a bit).

Use them for all my public service events. A bit heavy but the can take it. I never worry about dropping or getting them wet. Batteries last almost forever (yes I've bought new ones).

Service the odd solder connection here and there, and cleaning thats all.

Find one, buy it and the software and sell the rest:)

PE1IOC Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2008 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Just great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my Motorola MX 2000's , as the Saber 2 is called here in Europe, in used condition for less money. Firefighters used the VHF one, Police the UHF version.
Stamps in it show 1989 and 1991 as year of build.
Great VHF and UHF handhelds ! I programmed them to Ham QRG's. Good audio, loud too !
In 2003 police and firefighters did go digtal all over the country of Holland somewhere around 400 Mhz, so this nice piece of equipment was available in large quantities.
WAS, the stream dries up...
So, If you can, grab one !

Tjerk Polee
Nieuw - Amsterdam
The Netherlands

K5HDM Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2007 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Super Saber!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This thing is a brick.. It has alot more functions than some other prof./motorola radios.. I have a keyloader and all that for mine, and that's pretty neat (i have 2).. Mine was retired from the TX DPS and I've had it for a yr now.. and it's still going strong.. The only thing is finding the programming software, or paying someone to program it for you..

PE2KMV Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2007 08:54 Send this review to a friend
I love my Saber ;-)  Time owned: more than 12 months
In Europe the Saber is known as 'MX1000', 'MX2000' and 'MX3000'. The '1000' is the one without keyboard or display. The '2000' has a display and 3 buttons and the '3000' is the one with full keypad.

Professionally I've used the MX3000 a lot, so that was also the reason why I put a lot of efforts in it to get one for HAM-usage on the 2m-band. It was the best investment ever! Beside the monkey-proof, rugged design, the radio had great specs and a terrific audio.
Some time ago I was able to get a MX2000 UHF. And also this radio rocks the band! If you ever have some bucks and you don't know what to do with them, get a Saber/MX!!

KC2OON Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2007 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked it up cheap and I have amateur and marine frequencies in mine. Audio is loud and has that clean Motorola quality. Battery lasts a lot longer than any of my other HTs. Next is an HT-1000.

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2006 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Love my Saber...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one to use at work, since all we use are the smaller CP200 radios. I like the feel and solidness of the Saber. Programmed with the work frequency as well as a few amateur repeaters. Audio quality is nice, receiver rock steady. Cross mod is ZERO, one of the things I like about Motorola.

W0TRJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2006 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Hard on Batteries  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is very good HT,But it likes to eat batteries very fast and some of the replacment ones are junk even the 2700ma NMH. Hi Hi

There is a battery eliminator for this Radio
that plugs into a cigaret lighter female plug.

If you need your radio programmed give me a
Email:trjohn@mlecmn.net or visit my website at:
www.radioprogramming.org