Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Penninger Tipper Help

Reviews Summary for Penninger Tipper
Penninger Tipper Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $329.95
Description: A portable tipping base for your mast. designed with Home Land Security Emergency Communications in mind, this base is intended to deploy rapidly in the field. The folding legs adjust for uneven terrain and fold up for compact portability. The Mdl-36 is designed to handle a 36 foot mast with a vertical antenna on top. The optional mast clamps have a convenient mounting hole for guy wire connection. Also great for FIELD DAY or camping.
Light weight & rugged
Highly portable
Deploys rapidly

You can write your own review of the Penninger Tipper.

K0CCP Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Bullet Proof System  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Apart from having to wait over a month to get the Tipper and numerous contacts both by phone and email were not returned efficaciously, I finally received the Tipper. I also order the OutBack guying system. The aluminum is first rate and very heavy. The poles are eight feet in length, times four. The sleeves that connect the poles together are very stout. The 1/4" stainless hardware that holds the sleeves together had some crummy stainless nylon nuts that caused the screws to break. I replaced them with class 8 zinc steel with nylocks.

I plan to put the pole system to work with a TexHex 5 bander on top with a Cushcraft FM dual bander underneath it and under that, terminate one end of a OCF 80-6m wire to cover 40 and 80m. On the very bottom, I will incorporate a Yuasu 1000HDX rotor at the junction of the base pole and the first Tipper pole. While you may make a comment that there is a lot of "stuff" on the pole, actually the TexHex is but 37 pounds, the dual bander FM is barely 5 pounds. The pole itself will be guyed by three 3/8" lines and the OCF wire which will be tethered to a 40' TV tower 160 feet away.

If I were to rate the service to get the Tipper I would rate it poor. But the system is bullet proof and well designed. I don't know if Penninger is having business issues or what, but it took almost two weeks to hear back from the owner. I almost charged back the credit card order and purchased something else. Once we connected, it still took two weeks to get the product. The owner said he is by himself, that doesn't bode well for business.
AB9UU Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Recent user report  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought of these for use on vacation. It is solid as a rock and easily adjustable. I plan on buying another of their tilt mast products for a new vertical antenna I plan on putting up this spring.
WH7W Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product/Personal service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Review is overdue, but I finally got to use part of the Tipper System I purchased more than a year ago. As mentioned in other reviews, Charles was there to answer questions and provide custom tubing sections.

Quality is outstanding. All tubing/snap tubes are deburred and machining/fit/finish is first class.

This has got to be the ultimate, stable-compact-portable mast for Field Day, EMCOMM, etc. that one person can rapidly deploy.
WF7T Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2012 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Beyond expectation!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was not really aware how well these poles are machined until I received my product. I ordered a set of snap tubes, snap connectors and guy rings. I asked for the bottom and top tubes to have custom swagged to add another 1/8" wall thickness (1/4" wall in total for 6" into top and bottom tubes for increased clamping strength.)

The snap connectors are machined perfectly with heavy-duty spring assemblies for the stops. Each connector snaps into very subtly machined tubing with very close tolerances for a perfect fit. The guy rings are thick aluminum with a heavy plastic insert to allow the tubing to rotate.

My application is 33' snap mast (guyed by 1/4" dacron ropes) supported by a Glen Martin 4-foot roof tower (on concrete piers). Rotated at the base by a CD-45. Antenna is a wire yagi of my own construction similar to the Optibeam.

This is an outstanding support pole!
N2DY Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2011 11:52 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Tipper is a really neat product and it is very well made. I purchased it to support a ZeroFive 10-40 vertical antenna. It makes for a very solid base. It was very easy to tip up the 27+ foot ZeroFive vertical plus some heavy duty masting. It made it a one man job. The Tipper is a clever product and I can see how it would be a portable operator's dream since it folds up into a compact and reasonably light-weight package for transport.

I have purchased Peninger products previously and am not surprised that the Tipper lives up to the same high level of quality that I have seen before. You can't go wrong with the Tipper.
AB5EQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2010 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Completely Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Tipper along with some mast and clamps in February. Due to inclimate weather and other obligations, I`ve just now used the Penninger products to put up a 10-40 vertical.
Charles was very helpful and patient with me as I tried to decide on what I needed. And man, are his products built to last!!
Great products and great service.

Melvin, AB5EQ
N9XHL Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2009 06:51 Send this review to a friend
33" Tipper Package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recieved the 33" Tipper Package and was immediately impressed with the craftsmanship of this product. No sharp or rough edges; everything fits well. It's also obvious that these components were designed to last under whatever punishment or harsh treatment given. The ability to stand this mast up by myself is also a big plus for me. Could not have asked for better service. You will never see my Tipper Package on E-bay, this thing is a keeper!! My future plans are to get involved in public service emergency communications. I'm sure this mast will see lots of action. I agree with a previous reviewer, once the ham radio community sees what a terrific product this is, the waiting list is going to be huge!!! Thanks Charles@Penninger Radio for an awesome addition to my ham radio gear. Dave N9XHL
WA6RZR Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2009 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Antenna experimenters dream come true.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a piece of well thought out work! Engineering & machining state of the art.
I bought the 33 foot snap tube Tipper package
& have tested 3 experimental antennas on it to date( 2 failures & one success hi).
My advice, get one now before the Ham community
picks up on this masterpiece & like Steppir, be
put on a 3 month waiting list.
KG6YRG Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2008 19:31 Send this review to a friend
A very sturdy mast system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This mast system is what I've been looking for. It's transportable, well-built, easy to erect, and stable when up (freestanding on tire base up to 25 ft, and with guys when extended higher than that). Also, I'm pleased with the good service and prompt delivery that Penninger offers.
KC9FQV Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2007 07:06 Send this review to a friend
The "Tipper" system for EmComm and Public Service use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Our ARES group in Kane County, IL recently had 2 opprotunities to use the Penninger "Tipper" system along with the new "Snap Tube" masting.

The first use was at the Fox Valley area "Tour de Cure ride to benefit the American Diabetes Assn. We used the Tipper with 20' of mast made up of the Snap Tubes(unguyed!) to hold a Diamond Tri-band vertical. It worked great, and was strong and steady.

We also provide communications for the Fox Valley Bike and Ski Club during their annual "Swedish Days" invitational ride. Imagine 800+ bikers, 80-90+ degree heat...and 6 SAG vehicles to keep track of! We decided to try APRS this year, and we needed something to get an antenna HIGH in order to get clear signal around the whole course (the longest was 124 miles!). We again had the chance to use a "Tipper" base and 24' of "Snap Tube" mast to support a Diamond tri-band vertical antenna.

It worked just as advertised! I cannot say enough about Charles's system. The components are well-made, precision-machined and fit together perfectly! I thought they were kidding when I was told that it could be set up and walked up by one person. They were right! The components are made to last, and while not the cheapest, they are worth the money and the best!

The system assembles and deploys quickly, is rugged and reliable. The Penninger system should be looked at seriously by ANY EmComm group looking to put together a quality, sturdy portable antenna system for Emergency and Public Service use.

Eric Lorenz, KC9FQV