Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Maldol AX-50 Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol AX-50
Maldol AX-50 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Dual band (2m/70cm) mobile antenna with PL-259 base, 1/4 wave on 2m, 9/8 wave on 70cm
More info: http://www.maldol.co.jp/maldol/p1.html

You can write your own review of the Maldol AX-50.

NX8P Rating: 0/5 Aug 30, 2010 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Garbage from the start  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna for what I thought would be a reliable antenna that I would use for years just like I had with all the other mobile antennas that I bought in the past. The Maldol AX-75 is a piece of garbage!!!!!! GARBAGE!!!! I had this antenna for one year when it mechanically failed. I was driving back from a road trip when I looked at the antenna mount the antenna had broken off at the CHEAP PLASTIC BASE. No. I didn't hit anything with the antenna. Nor was the antenna over tightened. The cheap plastic base construction looks like it broke off from swaying in the wind. Needless to say, the whip was lost on the road somewhere. $60 bucks down the drain. What a piece of crap!!!! Do NOT buy this antenna if you want reliability. Buy a Diamond or something else. Maldol is JUNK!!!!

KG6YGT Rating: 2/5 Aug 29, 2006 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Bad Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am giving 2 as I can't be sure if there was something wrong with particular antenna I tested, otherwise I would give zero...
I needed something short to replace my 1/4 wave antenna on the roof of my van, this antenna looked very good, nice gain and only 20 inches. I do mostly 440 so low gain on 2 meters wasn't big concern. All antennas on my van installed through the roof so there is a plenty of ground.
So I bought this antenna, put it up on the top and started testing it. SWR seemed to be OK, but I noticed right a way that repeaters that I will usually be able to hear quite well, were coming little scratchy... First I blamed it on my moving position, but when I stopped and started swapping antennas, I noticed that there would be about 3 S units difference between AX-50 and regular 1/4 wave I mean that my 1/4 vertical was receiving so much better then Maldol, the difference between AX-50 and CR320 was about 4-5 S units...
I made a quick U-turn and went back to the sore I bought it from and exchanged to EX-107 I was a little concerned as it was Maldol too, but antenna showed great results right away, I guess I am keeping this one.