Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop Help

Reviews Summary for KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop
KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: Horizontal polarization and a omnidirectional pattern makes the SQ design GREAT for VHF sideband. The Hairpin match/mount makes the antenna extremely quiet for weak signal receiving because the DC ground keeps down static.

You can write your own review of the KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop.

KD5IKG Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2015 20:31 Send this review to a friend
one heck of a Rover antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have been through a few antennas for the vhf contest rover. this one has survived >80mph on the road, numerous tree limbs. a bridge. i have had to square it up after a few unintentional contacts with solid things on the move.

i have worked PEI to Vancouver from my STX rover with a trailer hitched mount with 12 ft metal conduit. i strapped the conduit to the luggage rack to reduce the wobble of the conduit at high speeds (80 mph posted in places).

i also run stacked 2 and 440 loops on the same pole, occasionally swapping out for beams when running unlimited 6 band rover. but always with the ku4ab loop at the top!

i used to carry a 6 meter beam and a push up pole, but not much difference in the number of contacts. i would work anything i heard .

W1SNE Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2015 12:18 Send this review to a friend
10 Years, Still Strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pair of 6 meters sandwiching pair of 2 meters. Up about 30 feet. Not an issue installing or adjusting. Just some common sense stuff, sealing connector against future coax moisture failure, etc. No problem communicating with seller. 10 New England winters, a few hurricanes, and one very close lightning strike that warped top 6m antenna. But still going strong after 10 years. When band conditions allow, 100 watts on phone or cw yield west coast US, South Amer and Europe qsos. Quite honestly, I always recommended and others quite pleased I did so. Best Wishes from Rhode Island.
K6SNP Rating: 0/5 Dec 7, 2014 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Total waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like many other people, I left 4 emails, 3 phone messages and never got a response. It came folded up in a Lowes flattened box. No invoice, no instructions or ANYTHING explaining the antenna. When I put it on an analyzer, it was a total bust. The construction was pathetic. I wouldn't use this crap for anything radio related. I was going to send it back, but wanted to keep it to show to anyone I could find to make my point. I am making it a mission to make sure everybody I talk to on the air or in person knows what kind of hack shop KU4AB is running.
KB1RVT Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2014 09:07 Send this review to a friend
More DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two years later, still enjoying this loop. Worked trans-atlantic (England & Portugal) with it last summer. Hit a TEP opening the other day and worked Chile from here in Vermont (FN34) with 5/7 sigs on SSB. DX=5585 miles! All with 75-100W Not too shabby~~~
KB1RVT Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Has done a nice job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 6M loop mounted on a mast up on a deck about 35 feet high. The ground below slopes away from the house. I take loop down for the winter.
Matched with my IC-706MKIIG barefoot, I get great reports both locally and from DX whenever the band opens. I've worked into Central America and Brazil, so no complaints here. I think it's a good value.
N9GTA Rating: 2/5 Jul 2, 2012 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Didn't Last  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 6 meter and 2 meter phased antennas. Failed after about a year in the air. The failure occurred at connector where a wire goes from connector to antenna element. I sprayed with clear Krylon before installation. Worked fantastic when new, but didn't last. All antennas hanging on hook in garage now. Bummer.
N0UE Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 2011 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Needs TLC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had almost all of the problems that others have reported:
- late delivery (>30 days)
- no response to email inquiry re order status
- poor packaging -- packing tape surrounding used cardboard shipping carton into which parts were stuffed
- material quality less than professional quality, although better than it would have been if I had made it myself
Biggest surprise was how touchy it was on SWR. Slider adjustments of only a cm would vastly change SWR. Once I realized this I could tune it to flat 1.0 over 50.01 to 50.3. At first I thought my coax was bad but a few changes of length proved me wrong.
No QSO's yet, but noise level is encouraging. Will report more after band opening.
Tom, N0UE, Minneapolis Minnesota USA
KC2WOU Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2011 16:59 Send this review to a friend
so far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
being new to the 6 meter band and this being my first true 50mhz
antenna have to say i am impressed after a simple setup and mount
to pole at 30 ft. with a 1.1 swr at 50.125...after a few local contacts
Was able to work grids gn38 and 29 from fn20.....Band was open but still for a taste of 6 meters and the price it's a keeper and a great way to get on the air........
KD5ITM Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2011 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Better then a beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
Grate antenna. I have one at the home QTH up at 33 feet. Iv worked as far as Honduras with just 100 watts. Wors better then a beam. As we all know, many times 6 is open to the east and to the west at the same time. With a beam your working the east cost not knowing that its also open to the west cost or to the north. You can work it all with this antenna. Its built very good. I have another 6 meter loop I use for rover operations along with the KU4AB 2 meter stack loop and the 432 mhz stack loop on a 10 foot mast mounted on the trucks tow hitch. Under $100 for the 6 meter loop, very worth the price!!
KG4ODX Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2010 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Work Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using this antenna on a 25 foot TV type mast and feeding it with 9913 coax feedline.
I have not had any real problems with this antenna, from assembly to operation. We have not had a good 6 meter opening to test it out on but on 6 the real test is how it preforms on ground wave. Again no complaints here, working 30 to 50 miles out with no problem. I would say this antenna works as described by
by the manufacturer and I am satisfied with my purchase. My only complaint would be about the delivery time, it was slow several weeks getting here.