Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop Help

Reviews Summary for KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop
KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: Horizontal polarization and a omnidirectional pattern makes the SQ design GREAT for VHF sideband. The Hairpin match/mount makes the antenna extremely quiet for weak signal receiving because the DC ground keeps down static.
More info: http://www.ku4ab.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the KU4AB SQ-50 6m square loop.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2008 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Great way to get on 6m! Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This simple, but effective compact 6m antenna works great! It was shipped assembled, and I work E-skip consistently with it operating portable with a battery pack and Yaesu FT-450 'throttled back' to 40 or 50 watts or so. Worked several states/grid squares in just an afternoon of operating. Throw it on your roof or tower, and it's a great way to get on 6m, especially now during the summer Sporadic-E skip season! Or use it portable or 'rover' to activate some of those rarer grid squares!

N8QE Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2008 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the stacked version to use in the ARRL January VHF Contest. It was easy to assemble and install. The antenna works great. I made the most contacts in a ARRL January VHF contest ever on ground wave. I could hear stations I never heard before. I would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't need a beam. I can't wait for summer e's to see how well it does on 6 meters for distance contacts.

K0SBV Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2007 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Much better than expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Back in the Midwest I operated six meters with a six element widespaced Telrex beam up 60', however, since moving to Arizona (HOA capital of the world) eleven years ago, I have been off the air completely. After reading the many positive comments about the SQ-50 earlier this year, it occurred to me that I could use one in stealth mode and avoid the Antenna Police. I bought one in April and put it up a "full" ten feet right next to my patio. Using the SQ-50 with a new Ranger RCI 5054 DX100 I was able to work over 125 grid squares in 31 states, Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica. It is not as good as the old beam I once used, but the say that I have been satisfied with the SQ-50 is an understatement.

VE3HG Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2007 14:32 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Set up the stacked 6-meter horizontals on a 20-foot mast on top of a 30-foot tower on the Friday night before the 2007 July CQ WW VHF contest. Worked into Florida, Texas, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Louisana and Colorado with ease. Also heard Mexico! Nice not to have to rotate anything. Phil is terrific in getting back as I had a question which was promptly answered. Everyone should get at least one of his antennas just to monitor the band openings. Two stacked and you're about as good as a 3-element beam. SWR is flat at 50.125. Wonderful.

FIRE5MAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2006 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Sweet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a great antenna. My first ssb antenna and I think the only one I need. I have it set up on a small tripod in a few mins after it was dropped at the door. I was a little worried that I would have to put it together since that sorta thing is not for me but it was just to easy.

My first contact. Maryland all the way to FL. 100 watts the next day I droped it to 5 watts and made a contact in AR.

My longest contact has been 1202 miles.

It packs up quick and deployes just as fast.

You will not go wrong with this antenna.

KI6LO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2006 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic 6M antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to make a quick trip from the home QTH in California for an extended stay (30 days) in southwest Arkansas. I didn't have time to prepare to take any fixed antennas with me for the ARRL VHF contest or Field Day. I had been looking at the SQ-50 so I decide to get one to experiment with in the spare time I had during my time away from the shack.

I had been using a simple dipole at 20' for a few days prior to the SQ-50 arrival. I had gotten quite a few contacts on the dipole but when the SQ-50 arrived, things really opened up for me. The reports were better than the dipole (even a couple of S9+20 and 30 reports) and the ease of installation (10 mins from FEDEX truck to first QSO) was great. I'm using a FT-100D with 100W output.

Phil's response to my order was tremendous. I ordered the SQ-50 one day and received it the next day, but I am close in Arkansas from Tenn. It is solidly built and extremely simple to install. You won't be disappointed. I plan on getting another one whenI get back to CA to stack for omni use along with the 5 element yagi I have at 40' there.

I plan on using the SQ-50 atop Rich Mountain (3500+ ft ASL) in Mena, AR for Field Day. It should be a real signal getter, providing the band is like it has been for the last few weeks.

Gene KI6LO

KG6YRG Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2006 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Great contest antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a very good antenna for portable/rover contesting.

It is compact, sturdy, takes about 10 minutes to set up, and is pre-tuned for the 6m ssb frequencies.

My farthest contact so far is from a mountain top in CM97 (near San Francisco) to FM16 (North Carolina)!

KA5FSJ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2006 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been waiting 6 months to write this review. I bought a pair of the SQ 50 square loops with the phasing harness last fall and put them on my tower on Christmas day 2005. Since then the band has been dead. But today the band came alive and I made over 30 contacts today. If I could hear them, I was able to work em. Great antenna and not very expensive. Also easy to install on my tower. Hope to purchase another SQ 50 in the future and use it for mobile 6 mtr ops.

Also, just have to say that KU4AB is a very trustworthy guy. I sent a personal check to buy the pair and had them within a week. I expected to have to wait at least 3-4 weeks for my check to clear but he obviously sent them out the day he received my check. 73's to Phil.

KB9KZO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2006 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Field Day Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used Phil's 6m antenna for field day of '05'. The antenna was only 20 feet high on PVC pipe. I used a Yaesu FT-100 and no tuner. The antenna tuned straight on 50.150. On Sat the conditions were right and made contacts with WY, SC, NC, LA, TX to mention a few states. I wish that I had the phasing harness and the other antenna to make better/more contacts. I strongly urge other hams to use this antenna and the others KU4AB has to offer. I will use this setup again on Field Day 06 and the 2m pair phased.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2005 15:14 Send this review to a friend
It works. Ideal for restricted space, mobile, or portable ops  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had my KU4AB loop up for about three months on a mast on my deck. It just plain works. OK, my high QTH on a hill helps, but... for anyone with space limitations or antenna restrictions this is a great and inexpensive way to get on 6m. The antenna comes fully assembled and is reasonably well built. You sure can't beat it for the price.