Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop Help

Reviews Summary for KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop
KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $37.95
Description: Horizontal polarization and a omnidirectional pattern makes the SQ design GREAT for VHF sideband. The Hairpin match/mount makes the antenna extremely quiet for weak signal receiving because the DC ground keeps down static.
More info: http://www.ku4ab.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop.

K5ECG Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my 2 meter square loop last week and installed it on my truck that evening. The following morning I made my first contact on 144.200, 160 miles away, with good solid copy both ways. That was with the antenna mounted at the back of the tool box and about 2 inches above the roof line of the cab! Yaesu FT-100D (50 watts) and no preamp. Great communication with Phil and I've already ordered a stacked pair for home.

KC9CUK Rating: 1/5 Jun 24, 2011 15:04 Send this review to a friend
WORST SERVICE EVER & HOME BREW QUALITY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I spend a entire 6 months chasing KU4AB to get a extra antenna and harness for a friend that he never got. The antennas work ok but the build quality is not the best and looks like you built it not a professional co. I also finally got KU4AB on the phone he promised me he would talk care of it but he never did. After me and a friend called him for weeks no answer and sent him multiple emails we gave up. KU4AB should not advertize stuff for sale on his website if he can't handle the business, I'm sure he is a nice guy but a business man he is not. I would like to be clear the antennas do work but the customer service and qaulity is not there sorry.

WA4GCH Rating: 2/5 Apr 16, 2011 19:32 Send this review to a friend
bad design  Time owned: more than 12 months
the first time it rained the phasing harness filled with water

K4MSG Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2011 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Very functional, excellent performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the KU4AB SQ-144 Stack (two SQ-144 antennas plus phasing harness) off of the web page using PayPal on April 5, 2011; received a confirmation email from KU4AB on April 8; received FedEx shipping info on April 12; and the antennas arrived on pril 14. I had them installed and operational by that evening and they work fine.

FWIW, I am using the antenna stack at the home shack and not mobile so I can't address its suitability for mobile operation. However, it certainly satisfies my requirements for an omnidirectional fixed installation. I also am running 200 watts maximum so I cannot address high-power performance.

Impressions:

1. Lightweight, easy to install. Antennas came already assembled and pre-tuned to 144.200. Instruction sheet was included.

2. VSWR of the stack was adjusted by varying the spacing. I achieved 1.1 at 44" spacing.

3. Instruction sheet recommends weatherproofing and gives some tips regarding silicone sealant but I opted for Scotchkote on the top of the SO-239s, and tape plus Scotchkote on the coax fittings.

4. Despite the light weight the antenna should hold up well unless a tree or large branch hits it during very high winds (but that's true for just about any antenna).

5. The price ($90 for a pair of antennas plus phasing harness including shipping) is very attractive. A similar antenna array from a well-known manufacturer will run over $250 for the same set-up, and while the quality and robustness of the latter is probably better that's still a huge price differential.

6. You may have to tinker with the SQ-144 stack a little to get it optimized but you won't be doing nearly as much "hands on" work as you will if you have to buy materials and build your own from scratch - although the latter approach would probably be cheaper and can be more fun if you enjoy doing that sort of thing.

7. The antennas are so light that you may at first blush regard them as "fragile." However, I talked to Phil, KU4AB, about that and he said that he purposely made them of lighter material so that if something gets bent (if the antenna falls, is smacked by something, etc.) it is easy to straighten the antenna back out. Very sensible approach. Besides, this is ham gear so I don't expect (or want) military-grade robustness.

Minor nits:

1. Because of lightweight construction you should be a little cautious when handling them. If you toss them around carelessly you may slightly bend something but it's pretty easy to correct any deformation if it happens (see #7 above).

2. The stainless steel U-bolts do not have enough thread to close tightly on a 1.5" OD or smaller mast. However, if you add a SS spring lock washer under each nut you will get a firm, tight fit on a 1.5" OD mast with no problem. The washers aren't included - I personally think they should be - but you can pick them up at a hardware store or home center in a little plastic bag.

3. The phasing harness is made from RG-6 - which I was prepared to "not like" - but a quick calculation shows that loss in the harness is only a tad over 0.1 dB and isn't enough to worry about. Besides, If you're sweating dB down to the nearest tenth you shouldn't be using an omni antenna in the first place, HI!

All in all, this is a low-cost, highly functional antenna that can serve your purpose well if you need an omnidirectional 2 meter antenna. I've been very pleased with mine and considering the cost and the service I received from Phil I really can't complain.

P.S. Phil's "real" job is in a secure area (no cell phones) and he isn't slaved to his email computer so he can be a little hard to reach at times. However, I'm personally willing to deal with that and only pay 1/3 the cost of "something else" (from a company with a with a paid customer service staff). YMMV. :-)

AB1JM Rating: 0/5 Mar 21, 2011 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Very poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My XYL purchased this antenna for me as a gift. I had been talking about getting one for some time. The item was paid for and then we waited for close to a month with no antenna and no answer to several emails and a phone call. At the one month mark we filed a dispute with Paypal. Only at that time did we get a very brief email saying that the antenna would be shipped soon. We did get the antenna finally.

I was prepared to just move on and enjoy my new antenna but it is a piece of garbage. It has pieces missing and looks like it was put together by someone who either did not know what they were doing or did not care. The whole thing is very flimsy and I had to make "repairs" to the SO-259 right out of the box.

I am all for cottage industry but with the lack of quality and complete absence of customer service I will not be a return customer.

N5VRB Rating: 2/5 Aug 23, 2010 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Fair Antenna Poor Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the stacked set and it took 26 days to arrive! Despite several e-mails that went unanswered, finally had to go to Pay-Pal and file a dispute to get action, still with no reply. When I finally got the antennas construction was poor at best,no lockwashers,copper connected directly to aluminum etc. However they do work well but I feel the poor craftmanship could stand improvement even if the price was raised.

AE6J Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Awesome and they load up on very nice on 432 also!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Living in a antenna restricted neighborhood I needed a solution to getting a "big" signal on the air without the big footprint. After researching my options I decided on the KU4AB SQ-144 stacked loops.

The antenna arrived in perfect condition with the phasing harness. It was a "no brainer" to assemble. I installed them to a PVC mast in my 2nd story attic about 20ft above the ground. They tuned up fb with an swr of 1.2:1. I am running an Icom 821H thru a brick with an output of 165 watts.

My first contact on SSB was in the next state south about 150 miles. Next contact was to the north in KY about 200 miles. Not too shabby for groundwave.

By mistake I found that they load up very nice on 432 with a 1.4:1 SWR.

No it's not a 13B2, but with the results I am getting I am very happy.

WB2LEB Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2009 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have stacked sq-144's for the past year, and am really surprised with the performance. Worked 13 states so far with the furthest south being North
Carolina. The antenna is rugged and has withstood
heavy winds and ice storms. A real winner!

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2009 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Great 2 Meter Antenna !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought mine from him at Dayton Ohio 2 years ago, like wow hard to believe this antenna work great ! thinking of getting 6 meter as well.

Jackie
KG4ORX
VP Of MTARS CLUB

KD5ITM Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2009 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 2 meter square stack loops. I mounted them on a 1/2" copper pipe. The bottom antenna is 61" above the ground with the top loop 48" higher. Durring the June VHF QSO Party last weekend I took the copper mast off the truck witht he loops still mounted to it and leaned it in a corner of a bed room in the house. The bottom loop was 32" above the floor. I ran a 50' length of coax from it to the 706 MKIIG. I only made 2 QSOs on 2 meters from my QTH in EM20. The first was in to EM31 125 miles away with a signal report of 5/6, and the second was to EM09 right at 200 miles away with a signal report of 5/4. Not bad for an antenna that the top loop wasn't even 8 feet in the air and only 50 watts.