Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop Help

Reviews Summary for KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop
KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $37.95
Description: Horizontal polarization and a omnidirectional pattern makes the SQ design GREAT for VHF sideband. The Hairpin match/mount makes the antenna extremely quiet for weak signal receiving because the DC ground keeps down static.
More info: http://www.ku4ab.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loop.

KD5ITM Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2009 14:56 Send this review to a friend
You Got The Right Stuff Baby!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 6 meter loop up at 32 feet. The night I put it up I worked 3 new grids in to Mexacio and one new one in to PA. from EM20. Bouthat the antenna last year right after the june vhf contest. Used it for rover and portable use untill two weeks ago when I mounted it permanantly out side. Works good even on the Loan Star 6M AM Net on 50.400 wed night at 8:30 centeral.

Just got the 2 meter loop stacked for mobile use. Using a lingth of 1/2" copper pipe as the mast. Im going to put a copper cap on each end so it will have a finished look. Going to clean the copper and then clear it so it will look good for a long while. I just now got the two loops mounted on the mast at 40" apart like it says on the website. Started to put the phasing harnis on when I noticed that its over 60" long. When you connect it to the two antennas theres much more slack in the coax then I expected. Is this normal or did I goof up somewhere?
Please respind asap kd5itm@hotmail.com

KK1X Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Great product & support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Initially bought the SQ-50 6m antenna, and with only one mounted, it worked well enough for me to buy the SQ-144 and SQ-432 as well. I now have three phases stacks all mounted on one mast, according to Phil's instructions, but only at about 25'. On 432 SSB, I worked from FN42en to FN20bd (about 280 miles) on 50W during the January VHF SS, and made 100 contacts overall in the contest. Phil answered my emailed questions promptly and professionally, even giving me an education in phasing harnesses along the way. Great antennas, and great support. I'm thinking about getting a 222MHz radio just to buy more antennas from him!

MM30 Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2009 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little square works great! I live in a restricted area so these are just the ticket if you can't put a large beam up, the antenna tunes nicely around 144.200 and is very lightweight and compact. Great for rover or portable use! Mike KC2PLJ

N8XE Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2008 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Great way to get started in VHF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked up an FT857D and I wanted to get into VHF. On a recommendation from another ham, I checked out KU4AB.com and I decided that for the price, I could not go too wrong. So I ordered the double stack SQ144 setup and placed them on a sidearm of my tower up about 25'. I simply placed the two antennas at 48" apart (per instructions) and the SWR was just right.

Already worked into Indiana only after having the antennas two days. Received 57 signal reports.

The antennas appear to be built solid enough.

A nice way to get started with 2M.

N1LF Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2008 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Great 2M Mobile Choice!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

Totally into weak signal VHF/UHF work and wanted to add horizontal capability to my truck which is outfitted with a Yaesu FT-857D for HF/V/U. This antenna fit the bill to a "T".

In my daily commute, I've used it to work stations on SSB out to about 250 miles, and also worked two new states, including one contact of 800 miles during a 2M Sporadic E opening. Will it outperform your beam? Of course not, but during that opening, I was in the truck, not at home. Without the FT-857 and this antenna, I likely wouldn't have worked those two grids.

Ditto for several early morning enhancements during my commute.

Tough as nails, tunes up 1:1 out of the box on 144.200, and keeps you in touch with your weak signal buddies. Buy one!

P.S. I have the 6 Meter loop in the attic, which I use as a monitoring antenna to make sure I don't miss calls off the back of the beam. It's great too!

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2008 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up a nice TR751A at a hamfest and quickly ordered the SQ-144 from Phil. And then I waited..and waited..and waited. I e-mailed Phil and told him the antenna had not arrived. After almost a month still no sign of it. Phil offered to send me another one, which arrived 3 weeks later. I think mail service to Iceland is faster! I installed it on the chimney at about 25' and right away I am hearing repeaters I never have n the past. The Fine, NY repeater is about 50 miles SE of me and I get it full scale. Have not made any SSB contacts yet, but I have worked FM simplex about 25 miles without difficulty. Phil makes a great product and is not happy until the customer is happy. Thank you Phil for your patience, your awesome customer service, and a great antenna.

Max
VE3TMT

N8LTD Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2007 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Good alternative to a beam.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a pair of stacked and phased SQ144s about 40 feet high. Not wanting to buy a beam and rotator, I decided to try this. Haven't caught a good band opening yet, but been happy so far. I work all the locals within 25 miles well no matter which way they're pointed. I even heard a station 300 miles away with no band opening. He could tell I was there, but could not copy good enough for a QSO. I worked a station 90 miles away easily-he was using a single loop. I know this won't perform like a yagi, but if you don't want or can't put one up, this may work for you. And Phil is very helpful. He answered my calls and emails quickly.

N5HNY Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2006 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually went to Phil's house and he sold me a stack of 144 Mhz antennas with the phasing harness.

I have been using this set up on a 20 ft. pushup pole with an old Kenwood 10 watt rig and now an Icom 706 MkII G. I have worked out to 200 miles on both radios. I have even copied a mobile 200 miles away.

The last two years I have also been a winner in the ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes in the single op/low power catagory. My score was not huge, but the big guns could hear me and it helped a lot.

These antennas are well built. They may lack some of the refinements you see on other products, but they more than make up for it in rugged construction. Trust me, these antennas will last for years and years.

They are easy to use. You just clamp them to a pole, connect the feedline, and away you go. No adjustments are nessessary. The stacked loops will require measurement for optimun seperation and performance, but I just slapped mine on the pole and extended mine the full length of the coaxial phasing harness. Lower than 1.5 to 1 SWR and excellent communications.

I am about to move them to a 40 ft tower that was just erected. Can't wait to see how they do at that height.

I have just about abandoned my plans to put up a rotator and yagi antennas I have. I think a 432 Mhz stack and a six meter stack is all I will need to do the communications I like to do on VHF/UHF SSB/CW.

You won't be sorry using these amazing antennas.

KA4TWK Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2006 07:17 Send this review to a friend
360 Degree Horizontal Polarization for High Power SSB & CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
KU4AB provides a Great Product and Support for Hams. I needed an antenna that would provide 360 degree horizontal polarization for SSB & CW operation and that would be able to handle HIGH POWER. I looked at the competition and determined that the KU4AB Products do meet my needs and at a reasonable price. I have had my set of stacked KU4AB SQ-144 2m square loops for some time now and am very pleased with their performance.

I also have a set of Phil's stacked 6mts loops. They also preform as expected. I just ordered his 220 stacked set the other day. When I have had any questions, Phil has immediately answered them to my satisfaction via email or my phone call. I finally had the pleasure of meeting Phil at the Shelby Ham Fest this past weekend. He had already sold out of his 220 loops that I was looking for but was able to work with me on having my order shipped.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for a great product and support then you should strongly consider KU4AB products and save money in the process. OH, BTW, the stacked 220's were immediately shipped when he got back home. Thanks Bill ka4twk

WB2YL Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2005 09:09 Send this review to a friend
well worth the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just finished installing on my Nissan pathfinder a pair of 144mhz loops with a pair for 432 Mhz between them and on the other side I have installed a 50 mhz loop. They are mounted on a Ĺ inch 7-foot long section of water pipe on the tire carrier. All from KU4AB first let me tell you that for the price Phil sell his loops for you canít go wrong. I find the quality to be very good, if you order a stacked pair of loops it comes with the phasing harness included at no extra charge. The loops are shipped completely assembled and tested, by Phil before they are sent to you. The elements are made from solid T-6061 rod not tubing as some other are made of. Also just to let you know if you are have any problems getting your loops working as they should, Phil will be able to help you along. The SWR on the 144 Mhz loops is 1.3-1, on 432Mhz 1.2-1,and on 50Mhz the SWR is 0. It is important when you are placing the coax line to take care that as poor placement of the phasing lines or coax with affect the SWR in a negative way moving the coax closer or farther from the mast pipe will change the SWR. I made small plastic standoffs to hold the cables in the proper place. The use of a 1:1 BALUN at the feed point my change this affect so it will not be as noticeable, however I did not feel I needed to use one as the stand offs did the job. Itís also important to seal any coax connection with the proper coax seal this will keep any water from getting in to the cable. Also you should use something like PENATROX on all connections on the loops to stop any oxidation of the connections, I also sprayed the whole loop with a good UV safe clear coat, this will keep it all like new for many years to come. This I also find helps to reduce rain static & also too help by causing the water to bead up and roll off. This will help to minimize the SWR change caused by the capacitive change cause by the water build up that tends to lower the tuned frequency. This affect will be noticed more on a mobile setup and less on a fixed station the change on my mobile is abt .5 on the SWR so if itís 1.5 dry it will move to 2:1 as the system is detuned to a lower frequency by the water but as soon as the mobile moves all the beaded up water falls off and the system will be as normal. As far as the performance the system works super. I have worked from FN21in the Catskill mountains of New York too EN90, 91,92,93,82,74 FN 00,01,02,03,04,54,43,42, FM 17,18,19,29 all with the KU4AB stacked loops on 144Mhz with 160 watts from a 2000 foot hilltop near my QTH. On 432 I run 100 watts with a pair of loop between the 144mhz loops and have worked FN 03,30,31, 41,42 FM 29,19 EN93 of course this was on TROPO scatter and ducting conditions. Normal every day range is in the 150 to 200 miles. I also find that a pair will work better than only one loop, Appears to have less multpath and QSB. Also mounted on my mobile is a HI-Q model 4/80 HF antenna that covers 80 to 10 meter but thatís another story. So if you want to try VHF SSB try one of KU4AB stack loops at your station I think you will be very happy. Laura WB2YL