Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1720S 6M/2M/70cm HT antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1720S 6M/2M/70cm HT antenna
MFJ-1720S   6M/2M/70cm  HT antenna Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 19" long HT antenna with SMA

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1720S 6M/2M/70cm HT antenna.

W9EN Rating: 1/5 Apr 16, 2013 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Very poor 2M performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a VX-8DR and wanted something that performed better on 6M and 2M. I was very disappointed with this antenna. I live at the base of a mountain with several mountain top repeaters on all bands to choose from. I can key them up with the stock Yaesu antenna on 1W, but I'm a little noisy. With the MFJ-1720S I could not even key up a few of the 2M repeaters. I'm taking this back tomorrow. I don't need another really long 50 ohm resistor.

W5JCS Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2012 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading other reviews I just had to offer my experience with the MFJ-1720S duel band antenna I first viewed a review on YouTube about this antenna and decided to give it a try. It is rugged and well built. I was looking for a 6M, 2M, and UHF antenna. It works well on six. Better than anything I have tried on six. On six meters I use the antenna on my FT-817 and VX-5. I use it on a Yaesu VX-5, Icom IC T-7H and my VX-3 on two meters and UHF. I live in a "fringe repeater," coverage area. This antenna makes a big difference on RX and I have received better reports on my signal into the repeaters which are at some distance. Much better performer than the Comet I had been using. Excellent product and they shipped quickly. I am very happy with this product and MFJ.

W3CUM Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2010 21:10 Send this review to a friend
yuck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
great idea.... but your better off with the standard duck... I have a VX8r... well build but deaf.

G0FJS Rating: 1/5 Jun 25, 2008 01:43 Send this review to a friend
didn't work for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased one for my vx7, and wasn't impressed. Signals were much lower than on the standard yaesu 'dummy load'

Read some articles where owners mentioned removing the waterproof antenna gasket on the vx7. tried it. That didn't work either

Sent it back & swapped for a diamond srh940 which does work very well.

KC0YEF Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2007 08:16 Send this review to a friend
No Junk Here  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great antenna use it on my "Alinco DJ C7", "Yaesu VX7R" and my Yaesu FT50. Outstanding performance and reliability I use this in the field and in the car.

N4LI Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2005 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Bulky, but not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
'Bought one on a lark for the VX7. It certainly outperforms the stock antenna, especially on 6m.

Sure, the concept of an efficient HT antenna for 6m is a bit laughable. The idea, it would seem, it to manufacture an antenna that is less bad than others.

This antenna radiates enough to occasionally get heard, even on the Magic Band. In fact, on one particularly intense sporadic-E opening, I worked Coastal NC from Memphis with this antenna on my VX7. Not bad, I guess.

So, if you want a less lossy HT antenna (I am reticent to call an HT antenna "higher gain"), this might be a good choice.

Oh, and wear safety glasses when using this antenna. Getting poked in the eye is a definite hazard!

Peter, N4LI

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2005 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Great HT Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this little gem for over a year now. I first had it on my vx-5, it did an outstanding job. Having sold the vx-5 last fall, I've since put it on my IC-T90 tri-bander. It still does an outstanding job of hitting the repeaters each and every time. This is one ht antenna I would recommend to anyone who is having difficulty hitting the repeaters in their or other areas!

Mark
AI4HO

KB3LSR Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2005 10:48 Send this review to a friend
MUST HAVE!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got a VX-5R back in December (2004) and wanted to see how much better I could get out with this antenna. I went from not hitting a 6M repeater 25 miles away to coming in with a good signal report after installing this antenna (I used the stock antenna, then put this one on instantly, that way conditions couldn't effect the signal). Aside from the 6M, it does VERY well on the 2M and 70cm. Even from inside an apartment, it still gets out very well. Only complaint is it is rather long and makes the VX-5R a little top-heavy. As far as performance, no complaints! 73 de KB3LSR

G4XRO Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2004 06:55 Send this review to a friend
First Class Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What an useful handie antenna produced by MFJ.
I have found that on 2 meters and 70cms my signals are 3 S points higher on TX/RX. (not tested it on 6 meters yet)
Although the antenna is just over 17 inches tall it is much easier to use than the stock antenna because of it's greater flexibility.

KA3SEI Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2004 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna really outperforms the stock duck on the VX-7R! Much better on TX and RX. Very cumberson to carry around, though. Not for use on your belt, but great for use at home.