Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2500 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2500
Yaesu FT-2500 Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: 2M/50watt/Fm/Mobile
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2500.

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 04:15 Send this review to a friend
The Tough Guys!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just bought a FT-2500M after reading so many positive reviews, for far less than its original price, and in a close-to-new condition.
I was first curious to compare it to my FT-1500M and all i can say is that the 1500 is a little bit better in selectivity and sensitivity, maybe the 2500 should be realigned after almost 20 years (mine has 6K serial, so i calculated it was manufactured in sept 1996).
However this one has a big advantage over the 1500: it has a squelch knob. As i am challenged at home with the available room for my shack, i will keep the 1500 as a fix 2m station and will use the 2500 when mobile.
Other than that, the 2500M has NO CTCSS decode (only encode) from the factory (it needs the FTS-17A), everyone needs to know that.
Here comes the title: i have tried lots of radios, and when it comes to VHF and UHF i have become more "basic and durable" minded than the "all bells and whistles needed" approach. I must admit, that these "tough guys" as the 1500M or 2500M (military specs) are indeed built to last and are more likely to withstand an explosion than any other radio.
Same story with HTs: I now have 3 of them (icom IC-T70E, VX-2 and selling my FT-530, see ebay) which are great, but I also found a nice FT-23 with the CTCSS unit installed and quickly grabbed it to have "that" portable rugged one.
These are my 3 tough / rugged guys, durable yet usable and great performer "vintage" radios from the past which are maybe basic, but more than enough for my needs and the needs of the most of us IMO.
I don't know enough about Icoms and Kenwoods (only on HF) but if I you think like me, you can consider these durable ones with confidence.
vy73 de chris ha7wx

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2015 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first review of this radio was 15 years ago, just after I bought it new. It came with a hum on transmit, which I figured out later to be a faulty mic cable. Other than that, this radio has been rock solid for 15 years. I love the simplicity of it, and the ease in which it programs. The lack of memories is no problem, as I live in a remote area with few repeaters. This radio serves as my base station, along with two FT-1500 rigs which are the mobile variants. There would be no hesitation in purchasing another 2500 if a good used one came along.

VE4CWF Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2014 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Good used radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio used for $100.

Testing it before I bought it was inconclusive as I couldn't hit a local repeater but it worked with an HT close by. So I bought it, brought it home and hooked it up.

I couldn't get a signal out to my nearest repeater (25 km away) let alone across town. Rx was sporadic as well. I tried opening it up to take a look and ran into 1 stubborn screw which I finally had to drill out. Once I got into the radio, as I suspected, the connection from the PCB to the SO-239 was faulty. I re-flowed it and now the radio works great. It's got excellent power out into a home brewed J-pole and Rx is excellent and the audio out of the speaker is great. And, as other reviewers have stated, it's super easy to program the memories.

I'm glad I bought it and even though the initial trouble depressed me a bit, fixing this radio makes me like it even more.

W6YNS Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2014 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Audio   Time owned: more than 12 months
Very simple to program and puts out a great signal and has excellent audio. The problem I have had with the rig is that you can only store 31 repeaters on the memory and the other problem a person can have is that it only has four characters you can list so if you have a call sign that is lets say a 2X3 call. You can only enter four character letters which is nice if you are an extra class operator. Tech and General forget about it.

KK4WEY Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Easy To Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio. It gets out & receives great. It's easy to program and operate. If you're looking for a 2m mobile in the used market look no further.

KF7WAG Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 01:50 Send this review to a friend
The best 2m radio ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
My father now desceased kc7pfo ron bought This new n 98 he didn't use It much Then I Got all his equipment and Got my licence and started using This radio, It Is an amazing radio u can't find a radio like This anymore That Is That Tough, Everthing still works n It, The only part That needs replacing Is the T/r relay damaged from transmitting with a little To high swr and I can't even find That part anymore so If anyone has It contact me on qrz I would like To buy more Than one of em, And I will never Get rid of my 2500m I will keep It forever, That Is how Good They r

NY2J Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2013 13:12 Send this review to a friend
The Best !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I forgot how great this radio is....I took a brief break from hammin cause of lifes priorities ....came back and I have three 2 meter radios...my pride a all mode(if only more hams enjoyed the pleasures of simplex and ssb vhf...I know another forum...lol)...a 2500 and a 2800 (plus some other 2m relics only cherished as first rigs or sentimental...like we all have...) .....was having a repeater issue with squelching....and wanted to program again and re-familiarize the process...the 2800 is a PAIN IN THE NECK!!!...too many darn steps...rotate knob after hitting this button etc....i have the 2500 in my mobile and literally 2 seconds later its set.....sometimes these companies try to outdo each other and forget they all ready got it right.....IF A CHOICE GO 2500...its a good one

KG4CLD Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for ol'gal!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine just a few days ago. It's used and had a few cracks to the bottom cover, no mounting bracket or screws (Tisk!), but everything else works good. Easy to program without all that computerize menu driven overly complicated JUNK these manufacturers are now sticking in the new stuff. Simply a good 2-meter rig. Like another ham said,"If you find one in good condition, grab it. You wont be disappointed!"

CRAZYGUT Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2011 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Sometimes simpler is better!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this rig used. It is simple to program and doesn't require software or a cable to program it. Kenwood can learn a few lessons from these guys. The rig came with a cheat sheet and a sticker too. I think for now on I am only going to buy from Yaesu. This is the FT2500M model.

N8YN Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2011 15:27 Send this review to a friend
N8YN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think so highly of this unit that I own three of them. I have only been a ham for 15 yrs but owned many different makes & models of mobile units. This by far is my favorite mobile. Solid as a rock, large numbers, easiest mobile I have ever programmed, no inter mod problems, very attractive unit and great audio reports. It is not high wattage or has a lot of memory channels but with a good antenna it will talk with any mobile. 28 Channel memory is more than enough for where I live. If you have the chance to get a Yaesu Classic then just "Do It".....