Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2500 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2500
Yaesu FT-2500 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: 2M/50watt/Fm/Mobile
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2500.

N7HO Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2009 21:09 Send this review to a friend
10 years old and still a great radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this radio as a base, mobile, and even an echolink radio. (It's a great radio for that by the way.) It has worked flawlessly, and I know I can still depend on it anytime. I wish more radios were this well built. I did have to replace the display lights, but that's expected. It now has a green display, which is interesting. The one feature that I wish was standard in all radios is the auto dim feature. I now run a FT-2800 as my mobile, but I get annoyed at having to change the display brightness all the time. I never had to worry about that with the 2500. If you find a used one in good shape, grab it!

Steve / N7HO

G1YGJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2009 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Top radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine from new, so it's getting on a bit, like me!
Used in shack only, looks new, still have box etc.
A very robust reliable radio. (It'll probably conk out tonight now I've said that!)
Very cheap used now, a good buy.

KC2UGV Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2009 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Tough, still ticking  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my current rig in the mobile/house. I'm the third owner, and it's only fault was a display light dying. Easy to fix.

Shows it's age with the limited number of memories, but I've never really needed anymore than 10, let alone 28.

I'm hanging on to this until it dies. And then I'll probably fix it, and keep using it until it dies a few more times :)

W9DPY Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 07:38 Send this review to a friend
A Great Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this unit since the mid-90'. It was my original mobile rig (replaced by a FT-8000 that's still in use). It's done base and mobile duty; both for voice and packet, with no issues. It rejects OOB signals better than any other VHF unit. I say this from both what the spec's say and from real world use. Only one service related issue - years ago two of the panel lights burned out; which I replaced. Reading the reviews, the FT-2600 and 2800 have no where near the relaibility and performance that this unit has. My suggestion - if you are a new ham on a budget; find a used one. You will not regret it!

N2HEP Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2008 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Best 2M FM Receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these radios for over ten years. I cant say enough about the receiver. It has the best front end I have ever seen in a 2M FM ham radio. I have been in the land mobile business for 20 years, and this radio's receiver rivals any land mobile radio I have ever used.

Even though is can hear out of band, its track tuning keeps it tight. You'll never receive anything, except what’s on the frequency your tuned to. Even in high RF environments!
Great buy if you can find one used.

KD6SWA Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2008 19:50 Send this review to a friend
One of the Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned one of these back in the 1990s and got rid of mine in 1998. Don't ask me why becasue newer is not always better. I like the display and the fact that you have 50 Watts output and no fan. The first one I had came with the MH27 Mic and my preference is for that...this newer one I have has the MH36.
The rig is easy to program, great front end, and just generally a great radio. Bought a used one in great shape a few weeks ago and really love this radio. You can't go wrong with an FT2500!

WA4RVB Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2008 13:06 Send this review to a friend
BEST 2 METER AROUND  Time owned: more than 12 months
THIS IS ONE RIG THAT CAN'T BE BEAT..

WD4MBE Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the FT-2500 for many years. Great performance...no problems.

W6PMR Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 17:14 Send this review to a friend
One of the best!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one of the best 2 meter mono-band rigs the Japaneese ever made period. They can be bought for around 100 dollars and you will not find a better old rig. One of Yaesu's best efforts.

WI0T Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2006 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great 2M monobander. No intermod and no noisy
fan to keep it cool.

I've had mine since 1996. Only problem I have is
one of the lights burned out and I haven't
replaced it yet.