Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | AOR 8200 MarkIII B Help

Reviews Summary for AOR 8200 MarkIII B
AOR 8200 MarkIII B Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $600
Description: Handheld analog scanner, 500 KHz - 3 GHz
More info: http://www.aorusa.com/ar8200.html

You can write your own review of the AOR 8200 MarkIII B.

M6RGQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2016 07:45 Send this review to a friend
5out of 5  Time owned: months
Had this receiver for a week now.I enjoy the frequency coverage and great mode choice.I have used Bearcat ,tti ,Alinco and GRE.this beats them all.Yes it can be heavy on batteries but Ive got around that.Turn the display light off ,you don't need it in daylight or lit rooms.If you want the key beep put it on 1.As this receiver is so sensitive I have closed the squelch to around one oclock.This will not ony extend the battery by miles but the squelch wont keep opening up to rubbish signals that drain the power from the battery.The received audio will also be very clear.Great for listening to 40m,20m on SSB.

BRISBANE Rating: 1/5 Nov 12, 2014 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Worst receiver ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I fell for the glossy blurb and bought one of these 6 years ago. When it arrived, and whilst the rechargables were on a charger, I put a set of Alkalines in.
Within an hour they were drained, and the rechargables lasted less than 4hours.
It was summer time, and when used outdoors with the sun on it, would cut out.

I quickly became very disinterested in this expensive piece of "technology" and it settled in a drawer for years.

As I needed a "base" receiver, I thought I would use it as a mains-only unit.

After three months use it has now developed a PLL Error. After trying several different suggestions which haven't worked, there is no way to do a hard factory reset so is now completely useless.

Be warned, this scanner has a lot of things that can go wrong with it. If you want a multiband scanner I would recommend something without the bells and whistles.

KA6CAI Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2013 00:03 Send this review to a friend
Good but can be better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second AOR8200 that I've owned. I purchased it thinking the 3KHZ SSB filter would have less QRM. Wrong! The SSB has the same QRM as the 2 and checking out the filter.. mine was 5KHZ not 3. Testing out the MK2 it was 4.5! The audio board could be louder however it does have a good tone response and the radio's sensitivity is excellent above 30mhz. The shortwave bands can use some improvement with sensitivity below 30mhz! When attaching an outside antenna, the radio's filtering does not support it and needs the attenuater turned on! Audio quality is a slight bit better than the Icom R20. This receiver can be programmed from your PC to save from all the hand inputs of both frequency and text. For $300 more an audio tone board for DCS/CTCSS plus digital (P25) can be added! The technology of this receiver is still in the early 90's but it's still very useful for searching and listening!

W2WP Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
The Good, Bad, and Ugly  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off I can't believe there has been no reviews of this for so long. I've been around the block with the MK2 and my second time with the MK3 in the last 15 years.

Just a quick FYI here. Most MK3 owners can have an upgrade done to their radios. $299 that's gets you what are things that should have been included in a $700+ receiver. Yes, like the ICOM R20. I did say some. The $299 will get you APCO25 (P25) decoding (in conventional mode) CTCSS (Tone Squelch) decoding, Voice recording on micro SD card (in wav format), USB interface.

THE GOOD: The radio is a winner when it comes to sensitivity, selectivity, etc. it would not have lasted in production this long if it didn't work as advertised.

THE BAD: well if you want to buy the unit new you are looking at around $700 USD. Want the upgrade? Boom, another $300.
Is thus now a MK4?

THE UGLY: Here's what I just don't get. At either price this unit feel like a toy in your hand. The plastic actually makes a "creaking" noise. That is just unacceptable on a unit at those prices.

I have not tried the ICOM R20 but after reading the reviews I may made a mistake if going to the AOR well too many times.
I will still give this a 4 rating because after all said and done, it does its job very well. I was lucky to get a like new unit at less than half price with some nice accessories.

Is a AR8200 MK4 coming down the pike? Would figure if it was a list price of $1000 USD? Not in that plastic case!

ATC43 Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 02:38 Send this review to a friend
one of the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hi,i know its hard to get to grips with the manual,but that is the onley fault,i was lucky to get the 8200 mk 111 B,on ebay,and i have found this to be the best reciever hand held,i have used,better than the yupiter in all ways,it works well on all hf, lf, mw,i have it set up next to my icom 735,and the recieve on the 8200 is just as sensitive,yes it eats batts,but what set is ever going to please everey one,so if you ever get a chance to get the mk111B GET IT.

KC2OYZ Rating: 3/5 Oct 9, 2008 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Cryptic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think this is actually a very good radio - extremely sensitive, good audio quality, numerous modes and rx options - amazingly good for BCB DX with a CCrane Double Ferrite antenna.

BUT - I have owned and used MANY radios over the years, and I think the 8200 has the steepest learning curve of them all.

In short - excellent performance, but serious work required to leverage it.

N1SQB Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2008 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Nice Wideband Receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to say that I did not warm up to this radio at first. It has a bit of a learning curve. In fact, I almost returned it at first. Once I got to playing with it and reading the manual, I was hooked. As with all radios, there is some good and some not so good. The first thing to keep in mind is that while this radio has "scanner-like" features, it is NOT a scanner. The top front face plate of the radio says it all in big white letters, "wide range receiver". Keep that in mind, and you will enjoy this radio for all it has to offer. Having said that, here goes my humble attempt at reviewing this radio.
The good:
Tremendous coverage. 500KHZ-3GHZ. with the ususal gap for cellular freqs. Please note that the 800MHZ coverage ends at 869.00MHZ then begins at 894.025 MHZ. This is far better than what Icom does which is eliminate the entire 800 MHZ band, thus depribing you of legitimate public safety freqs.
Very Very bright backlit LCD and keys.
Like a neon green almost. Really great at night or low light situations.
Runs on 4 AA batteries. 1700mAh supplied, you can use whatever you want. I prefer Sanyo 2700mAh myself.
Black color is an improvement over the old green.
The viewable screen area is huge. 1,1/4 X 1,3/4 inches. The numbers, letters are large.
Dual VFOs are nice,as well as the band scope. Signal strength meter is also fairly accurate.
Audio is crisp though not very loud.
Sensitivity above 30 MHZ. is very good.
Sturdy belt clip. ALthough I doubt, if you are like me, that you will EVER put a $580 receiver on your hip or belt. For us, AOR included a carrying strap. Nice touch.
Wall wart-and removable MW-AM antenna are included.
Tunning steps are very generous ( 50HZ in all modes). 8.33 KHZ step for airband (mainly over seas) is supported.
Alpha tags with 12 character capacity per channel.

Ok, those are SOME of the features that make this radio a winner. Now for the down and dirty little not-so-good things about this radio.

No CTCSS/DCS included. There is an OPTION for a ctcss board but no DCS. This should be built into the radio itself. Paying that much money for a receiver(@$580) and then having to shell out another $80 for a tone board is ridiculous.
Battery life. This radio is a battery HOG! Be prepared to have back up batteries on hand especialy if you travel.
Audio. The audio is good but you have to crank the volume up to hear anything in a vehicle or outdoor environment. Again, battery life drained. The radio has a poor audio amp that only puts out 120Mw at best.
Below 30 MHZ. this radio is mediocre at best. A local .600 KHZ AM commercial station comes in fuzzy and full of static. Shortwave stations better be coming in on skip otherwise you get nothing but static.
Four way rocker switch. That is the most anoying place to put a switch. You have to be very careful not to accidently hit it and knock yourself over into another band.
Backlight. Why inthe world would you not give the user an on/off button is beyond me.

Again,these are just some of MY personal gripes. If this were a SCANNER that I just purchased without all the features I mentioned, then I might be really upset. I have plenty of dedicated scanners. This radio is good for particular things like milair monitoring,civil air monitoring, strong shortwave signals,casual broadcast band listening(88-108MHZ.) With the flexibilty in the tunning steps, the true carrier reinsertion on SSB,the large well lit LCD,signal strength meter that works well, ALpha taggs ect...
this radio is mostly a pleasure to own. Again, its a reciver, NOT a scanner and it should not be judged as such.

IRONBOUND Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2004 15:24 Send this review to a friend
BEST HANDHELD SCANNER BY FAR!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having owned several different Uniden and Radio Shack scanners over the years, I've found the new AOR 8200 MKIII beats them all hands down. Superior performance above even the better base scanners makes this handheld a definite winner!
When my brand new 8200MK3 first arrived, I was a bit overwhelmed by all of its multiple features, and I have to confess that I was somewhat perplexed with its operating procedure. Let me just say for starters, this is not your ordinary run of the mill scanner by a long shot. The AOR 8200MK3 is a sophisticated receiver that is smartly designed with capabilities that far surpass all others in the class of handhelds.
It honestly took me a little while getting used to operating this unit, but, after a few days I finally got a good handle on navigating through its menu set up and the programming sequence. Once you master the technique and get the hang of it, it's really not complicated at all.
The instruction booklet is very comprehensive and very well written. A good amount of thought was obviously given so that every detail would be fully understood by the owner. Some of the instructions seemed even a little repetitious...but, the manufacturer is credited for making each step as clear as possible in order that the owner can avoid making mistakes.
As I spent more time becoming familiar with this radio, I became more and more impressed by its features and performance in every aspect. It proved to have excellent sensitivity across the entire spectrum of its wideband 530KHz - 3GHz coverage, along with good spurious signal rejection too.
If there is anything negative to be said about this unit, I'd say that the side panel arrow keys can sometimes be awkward and be accidentally triggered if you're not careful. You actually have to make concentrated effort as your holding the radio that your fingers don't accidentally trigger the arrow keys that are located on the side panel.
Aside from that, the AOR 8200MK3 is truly a remarkable scanner. It is well worth the $579.00 (average) price tag, and it is highly recommended to any scanner enthusiast who is ready for a more advanced handheld receiver.