Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Alpha Delta - 2 Antenna Switch Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta - 2 Antenna Switch
Alpha Delta - 2 Antenna Switch Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Two position with grounding antenna switch.

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta - 2 Antenna Switch.

WA0VY Rating: 3/5 Jun 1, 2015 11:54 Send this review to a friend
My Review, take 2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This replaces a review I posted a few days ago. First, as mentioned, I like the idea behind this product: center unused antenna connector is grounded and both antennas are grounded when the switch is set to COM. Whether this is effective lightening protection or not, it would make me sleep better in a storm. So, a good idea. I noted that one of the N type connectors was flexing and found that the barrel had slightly separated from the base. At the same time, an amplifier was indicating arcing and SWR faults. I opened the switch intending to replace the suspect connector with a high quality Amphenol connector. Once inside, I did not like what I saw. The COM center pin connector strip terminates to a metal T which connects to the 1 and 2 center pin connector strips by a switch which uses a roller to push the 1 or 2 strip up to connect with the thin edge of the T. The T would rotate slightly as it was engaged and did not align well with the 1 or 2 strip. It would touch at an angle, not square. For a switch rated at legal limit, it seemed flimsy. I also noted some pitting on the No. 1 antenna center pin strip which looked like evidence of arcing. Since the amp had never faulted before, I concluded the switch was my problem and replaced it with a different switch rated a 3Kw.

The reason for this amended review is that I now have reason to believe that some or maybe even all of the faults I observed were phantoms. After installing the new switch I saw some odd instrumentation issues with the main amp. While it was not faulting like it had, it was still indicating transient SWR spikes, most at precisely 5.35:1, over and over. It also occasionally indicated a short blast of 1Kw RF power out while in standby and no drive. I swapped coax lines, switch positions, ran it direct and tried to confirm with other instruments. At the end of all that, I saw no evidence of any actual problem other than the instrumentation on the amp. While my observations about the AD are otherwise the same, I doubt that the switch caused the faults. Without the faults, I would rate the switch a 3. If your not running QRO and/or dont get faults, the nice lightning protection features make this switch a reasonable option.
W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Top Line Switches  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never had an issue or problem with either my 2 position of 4 position switch....smooth movement changing positions, and very well issues here...
KG4FMQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 16:47 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this model and the 4 position model for a couple of years now. I have had no problems switching, no problems on receive. Everything feels solid with the construction of the switching. I have NOT had to replace the plug yet, and I really have nothing negative to say! The bottom line is that it works as it should and is a great product!

W6LAX Rating: 1/5 Feb 15, 2014 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Relocated to Trash Bin  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't like writing a negative review, but I've been through two of these switches in the past ten months. In both cases the SWR inexplicably started jumping all over the place as I transmitted. The first unit was replaced by Alpha Delta with the suggestion that I may have over-tightened the coax to it (I don't think I did). Now the replacement unit has failed as well and so has been relocated to the trash bin.
W0CZE Rating: 2/5 Feb 14, 2014 14:50 Send this review to a friend
CENTER CONTACT ON ONE CONTACT NOT SOLDERED!  Time owned: more than 12 months
VK2HLG Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2012 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Good -- but not all-weather  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I made the assumption that I could put this device at the bottom of my two antennas, and that it was all right for exposure to the weather. It's not. Mine collected water, causing SWR spikes and eventual rusting of part of the switch. I will be able to clean and repair it, but be aware that this is not for unprotected outdoor installation.

Alpha-Delta does not say that it IS suitable for use that way, but they don't explicitly say that it ISN'T. So, my fault, but their documentation could be more clear about this.
KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2012 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Consistent AD quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought off's swap meet board. I use it to switch an off-center fed dipole between an Icom 746pro and a Drake R8.

The arc plug blew during a storm - I didn't have my gear unhooked!! Everything was unharmed.

I love the solid clunk when switching positions. Another well made AD product.
K9BAG Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2009 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Well Made A-B Sw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to switch the xcvr between Ant and dummy load. Got one used off eBay. I removed the back cover to inspect the works. Well made with silver strips and contact wiper. Interesting how actuating the switch with cam-like roller arm raising the contact and makes the change. I'm happy.
W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2008 12:27 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD! }:>)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using my 2 position now for over a year.I bought from a local ham who used it for about 10 years at legal limit & I just ordered a NEW 4 position which will be here Monday 5-05-08. Looking forward to putting it to work & will now have enough positions for both HF antennas,the 6 meter antenna & the dummy load on ONE antenna SWITCH .}:>) Thanks Alpha Delta for a GREAT product.

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2007 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using it for 12+ yrs, legal limit on low bands, 500W above 20M and I've never had a problem. It works as designed, I lost the "arc gap plug" due to a near-by lightning induced static or voltage discharge (I have the switch connected to a single point ground plate via a 1" tinned braided ground strap). I replaced the plug, and all was fine!.