Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Kenwood TL-922A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TL-922A
Kenwood TL-922A Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200
Description: 160-10M 2K PEP- cct resembles SB220, with 2 x 3-500Z tubes

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TL-922A.

PY1KZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2018 07:59 Send this review to a friend
A Great Linear  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love this linear. It has excellent ergonomics and the beauty of its panel. I recently purchased a TL-922A model, with 28mhz included, that faced a deep retrofit, including new valves. Wonderful !!! It's sure to work for another 20 years.
NY2F Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2018 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Honesty  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this AMP. Needs mods, not so great out of the box. Added Mods, LOVE IT. Needs drive to get full legal. Kenwood, Looks good in shack...Works.
NY2F Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2018 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Needs TLC  Time owned: more than 12 months
Talking about my original 922. Had problems. Made these Mods. Will never sell. Electrolytic caps, ECBS MOD, Tube glitch, Step start, T/R relay and BAND SWITCH. Will keep up to any legal AMP. AND IT'S PRETTY....ONE Other thing need 110 drive to 1500 OUT...
W0XX Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2017 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp Even Today!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love my 922 amp, easy to tune up and a beast to move around (only nit). Wish Kenwood had made the transformers removable. Touched up the top and bottom covers and side panels and looks like new. Very good amp and very similar to the old SB-220. I am sure I will be making some upgrades down the road but for now, enjoying it as is.
W4IV Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2017 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Great amp. Need's updates to be dependable.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up my TL-922 from a local ham's yard sale. He told me that he had mistuned the amp into a reactive antenna, and that it had smoked and blew the fuses. It's a good thing I got it for a reasonable price. It needed a lot of work to get it back on the air. I replaced the smoked band switch, installed the Kesseler Engineering Revival kit, directly grounded the grid's on the Eimac 3-500's,installed hairpin style parasitic suppressors, installed a glitch resistor on the B+ line, and fuses on the filament xformer primary. I also enabled the 10 meter band. The Kessler kit includes soft start, soft key, T/R vacuum relay, and adjustable bias(among other thing's). I now have an amp that is stable, and work's great. It is built like a tank, and easily put's out 1KW pep with only 40 watt's drive, AND it look's great next to my vintage Icom 781 rig.
No more stuff from Starkville MS for me !!

P/S The tuning instructions in the manual say's to start tuning with the load control set to "0", I start with the load control set to "5".

Links for Kessler kit, and band switch.
K7PWR Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2017 08:10 Send this review to a friend
ONE SERIOUS AMPLIFIER! :)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this amp about 3 months ago, and it really puts out! I had a 15 amp breaker, and it would overload the circuit and shut everything down when its running hard. I swapped out the 15 amp breaker to a 30 amp, problem solved. I love the way the tubes glow, and the signal and audio reports are always excellant.I run a Kenwood ts-930s, and its a very good match. It will easily put out 1350++ watts, and the amp never overheats. Ive had a Icom pw1 and an icom 7000 before this setup, and it worked well, but there is nothing like using a tube amp...Warm sound, and puts out some serious power. It does circles around Icoms Pw1. I'm sure most of us will agree a tube amp is the only way to go. 73's! :)
KA1LA Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2017 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Kessler Engineeering Kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the second owner of this TL-922. I purchased it two years ago at a ham fest. I did not need another amplifier but the esthetics and build quality of this amplifier along with an excellent purchase fee was something I couldn't pass even though I own an Acom amplifier. I have been preferring to use the Kenwood but some of the technology is thirty years old and I had some concern of the inrush current, loud, hot switching T/R relay, slow relay-controlled tube bias and high voltage/high current PTT switching especially with the newer solid state radios. In searching the internet for modifications, I found exactly what I was seeking with Kessler Engineering. They have a package that upgrades all the thirty year old technology of the Kenwood. Installing this kit was a very enjoyable experience. The quality of the parts is excellent, they fit perfectly and the assembly instructions were also perfect. With the installation of the Kessler Upgrade Kit, I now have a Kenwood TL-922 that is compatible to any new three thousand dollar amplifier and in some instances, better! Yes, I use it all the time. If you have a TL-922 or considering getting one, I would strongly recommend you also purchase Kessler Engineering's upgrade kit. The Kit turns a very good amplifier into a great one.
G7NKS Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent piece of kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TL922 since 2005. Bought 2nd hand from a UK dealer. While the relay is most definitely stentorian in its report, this is still a great performing and lovely bit of kit. Mine had the parasitic suppressors done and I bought an outboard in rush protector. The 3-500's died after 4 years and I bought some new ZG ones and they've been fine. I tend to run it on "CW" mode which keeps the HV @ 2KV and this provides 600/700 watts out which is adequate for most Dx. I've recently added an idiot proof SPE1K to my kit, mainly for 6m and also to protect against operator error but I still use and enjoy the TL922. Both a driven by JRC JST 245s. Tunes the WARC bands well too. If you're in the market for a great performing and nice looking amp then the TL922 is a good option, just check it hasn't been abused and don't run it flat out at 1200W plus in high duty cycle data modes. Jim G7NKS IO92ub
VA6DWH Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2015 17:30 Send this review to a friend
eye candy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These amps are real classics.....and some of the best looking ham gear available....Small footprint....excellent output..... realize their potential and not have an unpleasant experience...its a must to do the minimum mods to these rigs so things are protected from damage....Please check on line for these mods....easy to accomplish....and what you will end up with is a "Tame" reliable amplifier that is a pleasure to use...I only gave it a 4 because of the mods needed....but with some basic modifications its truly a "5"....Thanks all....Regards....VA6DWH
ZL1BHD Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 04:19 Send this review to a friend
What a whoppa!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The coolest damn piece of ham gear I've had so far!

Only problem I've had, is the filament pins melting the solder out - easy fix, resolder pins, and then just unscrew the bottom panel, flip it around and screw it back on, end of problem! A year later and no more hassles.

If you haven't run a 2KW PEP amp before, then you are missing out! It's completely bananas! The DX calls YOU back!