Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Kenwood TL-922A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TL-922A
Kenwood TL-922A Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1200
Description: 160-10M 2K PEP- cct resembles SB220, with 2 x 3-500Z tubes
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/linears/tl922.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TL-922A.

MW0KIK Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2007 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this amp for a couple of years and used on various bands. Never had a problem with this linear and found it simple to use and tune with various radios including the yaesu ft2000 and the icom 7800.

Will be selling this shortly as I need the cash to put towards the pw1 to match the 7800.

Bottom line is its a reliable and easy to use linear with easy to replace and cheap to aquire tubes!

Leigh

G0PZA Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2006 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Looks and feels Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all,

Forgive me for cheating a little. I just acquired a BRAND NEW TL922 which is about 12 years old. Yes. Never used except on a dummy load. But It has some problems, and I need some parts which I cannot easily get in the uk:

The parts required for the linear are:

L7 470uH RF choke ( Fits from Grid to ground)
L8 470uH RF choke as L7
D2 Zener diode 7.5 Volts ( fits in cathode circuit to provide bias)

The manual does not give more detail than that. However looking at the circuit for the zener diode, it appears to dissipate about 5 Watts in normal use. That suggests a suitable replacement should be rated at double this. So 7.5V at 10W is probably the minimum specification for D2.

Can anyone help with any suggestions?

Best 73,

G0PZA, via QRZ.COM

W8JN Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2006 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Artwork  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp is a thing of beauty. Quite a sculpture ! Runs flawlessly and built like a tank. Tornados ripped through here last week and I tied the house to this beast and survived the wind! Mine is mint with factory box. Fantastic!

AC7PN Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2006 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Just retubed  Time owned: more than 12 months
My TL-922A had a 3-500ZG that started to arc internally so I ordered a new matched pair of Chinese (PRC) tubes from RF Parts. They are a bit expensive. It's back on the air tonight. I love the looks of this Kenwood unit. It really is a thing of beauty. I wish I had it running last weekend for the WA Salmon Run.

The old tubes were not a matched pair and I was hoping I'd get a little more power out with the new parts but I think its just about the same. My MFJ meter on the antenna tuner says about 900 Watts CW on 20 Meters. Who knows if it's correct? The plates get the same color of red so the matching must be pretty good.

KD5UVV Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2006 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp, Now!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TL-922A is a very good amp as-is, but lets face it, no QSK, loud relays, no step/start and some reported problems with stability can be a problem for some.

But with the Rich Measures mods done to this amp, it really makes it an excellent amplifier. To me, itís one of the best looking desktop amplifiers out today, even being an older design. And it is built like a tank.

Itís a good amplifier but it can be made so much better with the mods done to it. I had the modifications done by Don Kessler, KI6SZ of Kessler Engineering (see review) and now this amplifier is truly a pleasure to use, rock solid 10 thru 160 meters, including 12/17

This amplifier was never designed to be a legal limit amplifier. This is a good solid 1000+ watt amplifier. The 4 rating is because of the mods that it needs to bring it up-to-date.

Dale Ė kd5uvv

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2006 07:51 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp (TL-922 which has 10 meters factory installed) is superb for a manual-tune 160 through 10 piece of gear. It does not need to be driven hard to achieve the "full-gallon" rating. Installing Rich Measure's mods will enhance and add longetivity. I like the fact that the fan stays on to cool the 3-500Zs even after power is switched off. If you can find one (typically $750 to $1000) in good condition, grab it. You will not be sorry and should never have to repair it.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS

WD0CT Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2005 02:17 Send this review to a friend
boat anchor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Big and heavy but handsome. I had no problems and it tuned and ran fine.

The relay will WAKE THE DEAD.

If I had kept it I would have looked into putting a vacuum relay in it.

KA5ROW Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2005 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Solid As a Rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Kenwood TL 922-A is a well built amp. I have had no problems at all, It loads and tunes very smooth. It will do 1300 watts if pushed to the max., but I run a 1000 watts about Ĺ the time the other Ĺ I will drive it with 40 to 60 watts for 500 to 600 watts. And that is just fine with me. It's a shame that Kenwood will not offer the TL 933 to the U.S hams.

W7KKK Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2005 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked my TL-922A up used for under $800.
I liked the 2 ea 3-500Z tube platform. The tubes are getting a little expensive but they last forever if you take care of them. Mine has the original tubes in it with factory rated output.
It was not designed to put out the legal limit, but then again it will loaf at 600-800 watts and last a long time there.
This amp had some minor faults as built and they can be fixed should you wish to.
Solid components and construction. I had an Ameritron and just did not like what I saw when I looked closely at the construction of it.
For the times I really need an amplifier, this will do quite nicely.

IK2FRZ Rating: 3/5 Feb 16, 2005 02:24 Send this review to a friend
Good for intermittent utilization  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This amplifier do not have a "soft start" (High start current damage the filament of tube ).

The blower is not cooling the tubes base, but extract air near the tubes!
In this mode is not possible to obtain the max power from the tubes.
Max power out for a few second is >1600W (AMPEREX 3-500ZG) but in the normal use not use more to 1000W key down.

Good aesthetics and easiness of tuning and utilization.