Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Bencher BY-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Bencher BY-1
Bencher BY-1 Reviews: 156 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $110 to 395 rrp
Description: Iambic paddles
More info: http://www.bencher.com/radioequip.html

You can write your own review of the Bencher BY-1.

WD9GNG Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been a ham 35 years but have been using a straight J38 key. Pretty rusty at code and thought that a decent paddle would perk my interest in code again. I really like how the Bencher paddle allows you to send perfect code. Now I wish that I was just as ready to answer people coming back to me. It is a nice addition to the shack and makes code fun again!!!

KU7I Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2012 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Does the job...WELL!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are a ton of these for sale all over Ebay and qth dot com. I have two black BY-1s that I bought off of Ebay. I think I paid somewhere arournd $60 each, total, including shipping. These just work for me. I am not that picky about keys and enjoy the feel of them. If your desk is the wrong type of surface then they may slide around a bit but I happen to have the right type of surface to where they do not move. In the past I mounted one to a nice finished piece of dark wood b/c it moved around too much on that particular desk I was using back then. They are fine and work fine and last forever.

N4LQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2012 13:31 Send this review to a friend
BY-1 Revisited  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I reviewed the BY-1 in 1999 and had a very negative opinion but I recently acquired another one and now my views have changed. Yes it is much more delicate than other paddles and you can't just toss it around but once I got it adjusted properly I've really been bonding to it.
The finger pieces are huge and I can easily find a comfortable position. There is no noise yet it has just enough feedback to let you know its working. Perhaps it isn't made for the ham-fisted user since the touch tends to be somewhat delicate and maybe when I reviewed in 1999 I required a different feel but now it is almost perfect.
The rivets holding on the finger tips is really stupid. I think the original FYO version used actual screws for this purpose.
Anyway, me and the BY-1 are getting along just fine now. 73

KO3D Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2012 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great paddle. I am especially happy with its solid construction. As the Bencher website says, this is for someone who likes a "light touch". If terms like "fist" and "brass pounder" describe you, try something else. You wouldn't expect a sports car to go off road like an SUV so why do you think all paddles are the same?

VK4VFX Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2012 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Great key for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Bencher started out life as the base chrome model until a friend got hold of it who owned a mobile electroplating business and gave it a good going over in 24 crt hard plate gold. I had owned the paddle for over 20 yrs and was very attached to it and I would say at a guess well over 50k qso's without a hitch until it was dropped on the floor and the action completely ruined and bent inside the armature housing by someone with absolutely no respect for other peoples property. I tried to straighten it but it just dident feel the same so it is now a paper weight and I have purchased a CT 599 (will do a review on that once I set up a station) anyway in a nut shell the Bencher overall for the price is very good value for money, set the contact posts with a cigarette paper folded in half and QRQ is not a problem. About the only thing I can pick is they could of been a bit heavier in the base but saying that is just being fussy plus I am heavy handed, if I were to come across another for the right price I wouldn't hesitate purchasing another one to add to my collection!

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2012 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Great for beginners  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Been using this paddle for our KD0NIV school donated by a member of the Mile High DX Association. Kids love this paddle- We have had it now for 5 months. Using with an FT-897. It is a great value for the money and plays well at high speeds too- nicely weighted-

WA2DTW Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2011 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first paddle. Does what it is supposed to do. Somewhat delicate. Not quite as sensitive as some others.

K0TF Rating: 0/5 Dec 5, 2011 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Did anybody paid attention that anyone outside the US didn't care about Bencher product? I wonder why? (Rhetorical question) Anyways, recently got hold of another BY, and all bad memories came back in an augenblick, poor, very soft, sticky contacts, lack of proper adjustments, ugly appearance with visible tool-marks. Cheap construction/design. Should we continue? oh and price, I can understand such a price range, for single unit a month home-brewer, not for mass produced for a quite a few years single model. Another paperweight on the shelf. At least this time price was right... Nah, I'm sorry, 4 replacement pieces, two of which 4-40 screws cost almost the same as new paddles.

KA1VF Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2011 15:50 Send this review to a friend
nice iambic paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought myself a Bencher BY-1 paddle(Black)
in 1981 to celebrate my upgrade to Advanced.

note: It has popped apart on me a few times,
but this is because it's an early model
and they later fixed that problem.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 11:35 Send this review to a friend
High Bang Fer Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had three of them over the years. I like it's overall design and comfort.And even though there are ways to improve anything, it is solid value as it is produced today. A practical device! But why do people quit when they are on a roll? They shouldn't have sent their R&D department home after the 'prototype' -- I would replace the finger tabs with rounded ones, or offer different shapes/weights of them as optional equipment. I guess I could MAKE a set cheaply enough, but I need more idle time than I currently have. Another option would be pivots made in different lengths to give the user a way of customizing it to fit his individual fist. Another drawback is a common issue with 'open-guts' keys of any type -- dust. If it sits uncovered for more than a week down here in the swamp, I begin to send like I'm drunk... I hate that! They make a 40 dollar "dust cover", but i've found that when it is carefully-wrapped in "Cling Wrap" out of the XYL's kitchen, it stays spotless. Plastic wrap actually protects better due to less of an opening required for the paddles to stick out of. Werks great!