Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Bencher BY-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Bencher BY-1
Bencher BY-1 Reviews: 152 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $110 to 395 rrp
Description: Iambic paddles
More info: http://www.bencher.com/radioequip.html

You can write your own review of the Bencher BY-1.

PA0QRB Rating: 1/5 Dec 30, 2009 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We have this key at the local club's ham shack, and that's where I decided that this key will not enter my shack at home. Ever.

This key is for you if you:
- have a *very* light touch
- hit the paddles *exactly* in the middle and
- move your fingers *exactly* perpendicular to the paddle surface.

Because I'm unable to satisfy any of these requirements, I usually end up with dislodged pivots.

Horrible. I won't recommend this key to anyone. For roughly the same price you can get a Kent (see my Kent review elsewhere on this forum), and for just a few bucks more (mainly due to P&P) you are the proud owner of a Begali Simplex.

Harold pa0qrb.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2009 06:57 Send this review to a friend
A Classic Keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a horse trader and never keep anything for very long. I have had at least a dozen different paddles and by far the best deal is a used BY-1. I love the feel and light touch. If you can find an old one, the the plastic finger pieces are screwed on, not riveted. The riveted ones can come loose depending on how and where you use it. I bought mine off of ebay for $35.00. Cleaned up, it looks like new and I'll take this one to my grave (literally).

W7ZJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2009 13:21 Send this review to a friend
1979 to 2009 Nice Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
The high school graduation gift my brother W9BM selected for his little brother (me) W7ZJ was a Bencher BY-1 paddle. What a great gift! That little jewel has been on every operating station I have had since 1979 and still gets used to this day! All the gear that has passed through my hands over the years and this one is the only keeper, I have tried them all and this is still the best key I have ever had the chance to use!!! 30 years old and still looks fantastic! Thanks Jimmy!!! DE W7ZJ Bubba....

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2009 08:43 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST DESKTOP KEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several of these, and find it to be the best I have used for desktop use. (I have others I prefer for backpack and mobile.) It is heavy enough to stay put, easy to adjust, and low maintainance. I have a few other paddles that require frequent re-adjusting, and/or walk across the desk when used. The chrome Bencher BY-1 is definitely a keeper!

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2009 07:48 Send this review to a friend
excellant key  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my trusty bencher for 24 years now,i use it every day and never had to adjust or clean it its been faultless unlike some of the radios its been connected too.I think the key gives you confidence,enthusiasm,satistaction and enjoyment.
I have just purchased a ct europe key and will make comments on that once ive tried it out...

KL2TC Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2009 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Possibly the devil...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a straight key guy, but this paddle continually tempts me to use it. It is so easy and the iambic feature is so easy, smooth and fun! I have a Vibroplex, but it is in no way the temptation that my BY-1 is. I could be easily led astray by this unit. It may yet draw me to the dark side.

VE2DC Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2009 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Very good paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for about 25 years so they hold up well. A caveat for those that have had these keys for a long time... the rubber feet harden with time and lose their "stickiness". New feet are available from Bencher. My only complaint is the flex in the arms and bearings giving the key a slightly sloppy feel. Whether this bothers you is a matter of personal preference. Touch is very light and they hold their adjustment well unless you use very narrow contact spacing. I use a sheet of 24lb paper as a "guage" so about .005 in. I paid about $60 new in the mid eighties... so have had my money's worth...

TOPPER Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2009 00:09 Send this review to a friend
the 'standard'  Time owned: more than 12 months
Full size, works well, I was always anxious about those springs: What if I drop it? Contacts needed periodic cleaning with a qsl/business card, A dust shield is needed. All-in-all, a good key.

W9VNE Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2009 10:56 Send this review to a friend
top shelf paddle for CW ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several BY 1 paddles as well as BY 2 paddles. Still have one of each. I also own Begali and a pair of original low serial number Mercury paddles by N2DAN. I have other lesser known paddles as well. I have been primarily a CW operator since 1952 when I was WN9VNE. The Bencher series of paddles starting with the BY 1 are a legend. I use the BY1 often even though I have more expensive paddles in the shack. Like any key or paddle you have to get used to it. Just like breaking in a new pair of shoes. Some folks seem to try it for an hour and then "dis" it. They are not real CW ops and I would not put much credibility in their reviews. They bring a new level of amateur to the definition of amateur. These paddles have existed for a long time and have out sold the competition. There has to be a reason for that.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2009 07:49 Send this review to a friend
GREAT paddle! Always come back to it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I take back my '3 star' review written back in 2001. I own a Kent and a Begali, both fantastic paddles as well, but I always come back to the Bencher BY-1. Properly adjusted, it is absolutely flawless, with great feedback and minimal touch needed. After 'sidelining' my BY-1 for over 2 years, I cleaned and re-adjusted it this morning, and am blown away by how great this CW paddle truly is! Take the time to properly adjust it, and you will be rewarded with effortless sending. To quote a popular SNL saying, this thing is 'LIKE BUTTAH'!