Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Uniden Bearcat Speaker ESP-20 Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden Bearcat Speaker ESP-20
Uniden Bearcat Speaker ESP-20 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $13.95
Description: Ext. Speaker, 20 Watt, 10 ft, 18 gauge wire

You can write your own review of the Uniden Bearcat Speaker ESP-20.

KB0HAE Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2009 13:14 Send this review to a friend
good but not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these as it was a close match in size to the older RS communications speakers that I have (the one that was discontinued a few years ago). The price wasn't bad. It soesn't sound bad, but it is somewhat lacking in high frequency response compaired to the older RS ones that I have. Perhaps one could get used to it.

If I could find a couple of the RS speakers like those I already have, I would buy those instead. Even used.

KI6PDQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2008 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Solid 5!  Time owned: months
Bought one on line and can't be happier with it! Crisp audio, solid case and bracket, don't throw away your money with with overpriced Icoms and Yaesus.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2008 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice Speaker, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi, one of my 'hobbies' is a continual search for the ultimate 'radio to ear interface'. A while back (when I had a job!!), I ordered a Clear Speech Speaker based on thge great reviews. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly ??), they were moving and would not accept new orders. When they finally started accepting orders, the price went waaaaaay up. They very well
May be worth the cost. Dunno.
Anyway, I just love buying speakers at yard sales, etc. You would NOT believe how may I currently have!
There is a local Thrift Store that always has a bunch of speakers for sale. Some are in pairs, some 1X. I have purchased some mint Sony Surround Sound speakers for $3 each.

What does this have to do with the ESP-20????

I was all the great reviews here and bought a new one off of a E-Bay CB store, for a good price. I built a 'multi-switcher boxs', swince4 it'ws imposswible to compaqre speakers by plugging one in and unplugging another. The 'box' has 11 positions. You can sit in front of the radio and try speaker after speaker instantly.

Yes, the Bearcat is an excellent speaker. Heck, you could use the audio leads for jumper cables.

However, just today, I bought a "LLOYDS" speaker for $2. It was in excellent shape. It sounds better than my $200+ Icom SP-20!
No, I didn't pay $200 for the Icom, got it on E-Bay for cheap.
All the stock speakers from the 'Big 3', can be easily improved by placing a baffle right behind the speaker. Both the SP-20 and my SP-21 were VASTLY improved by the baffle.

tnx for the bandwith!

ron

N4UE

WALTERB Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2008 20:57 Send this review to a friend
$13 sounds like $150  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Many speakers cost about $150, but this one sounds great and is only about $13 plus shipping. I own 8 of them.

W4AIJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 00:50 Send this review to a friend
FINALLY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned dozens of external speakers over 40 years of radio. nothing has ever come close to this sweet, mellow , but CLEAR speaker . UNIDEN Did it RIGHT . Squelch breaks don't POP or Crackle . Audio sounds FULL Like a much larger speaker. Static even sounds pleasant with this speaker, something I cannot say about many other comm speakers that tend to be too high in freq...
They got Vocal Freq Response on this one JUST RIGHT !

SV2BWM Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2008 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Heavy-duty mobile!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this speaker to change my old Kenwood SP-50 of TM-732. First impression: the audio of TM-732 was low & poor and I discovered that this was caused from the TM-732 and not from the speaker! Next, I tried with the TS-850 and then..voila! Good audio that can be heard loud and clear despite the environment noise. Good job from Uniden!

VE3KKQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2007 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Searched for weeks to find an economical speaker that was available to purchase in Canada for my shack that would provide clear audio in the voice/cw range. Saw these on eBay, I hummed and hawed for a few days, looked over the specs again and again. Decided to take the plunge. I liked what I heard so much after checking it out, I bought two more.
Specs;
Max Pwr = 20 W
Magnet Weight = 6 oz
Impedance = 4 ohms
Freq Resp = 300 Hz to 5 kHz
10 ft cord (18 AWG); 1/8 " phone plug
4.5 " plastic cone
Casing and bracket heavy duty plastic.

N4NYY Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2006 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since Radio Shack stopped selling replacement speakers, building one yourself has become un-economical because if you order the speakers online, you will be into easily $20-30 including handling and shipping. So I tried one of these for my Uniden Grant CB. I liked it so much, I got one for my Icomn 746. It sounds perfect for the cost. Sure, it's not one of those overpriced ext speakers you get as an expensive accessory. But you can get these for $15, and cannot beat the value/quality.

KB1LBP Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2006 11:51 Send this review to a friend
very nice speaker  Time owned: months
I bought one of these recently based on the 2 previous reviews. I was able to get through a local electronics dealer who ordered it for me for only $13.00[a friend] which included taxes and shipping,he probably ordered other things also.I have been using an mfj clear tone speaker with my 718 which is ok but has a rather tinny sound to it.The esp 20 is a much better speaker, a little larger and about twice as heavy.The bottom line is it works great, couldn't be more pleased.

TLC Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2004 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little, but dense, speaker works very well. Although it lacks an optional noise filter, sound comes in clear, sharp and crisp. I bought this for my mobile scanner and am happy but it isn't a 5 (great). Price with shipping was $23.40 (new) through a vendor on Ebay. Sufficient sound for a mobile setup like mine. It just lacks a "Great!" fullness. A lot better than most. 20 Watt power. I would recomend this product.