Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Coleman Pulse/Sport 1850 Help

Reviews Summary for Coleman Pulse/Sport 1850
Coleman Pulse/Sport 1850 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$ 399
Description: Portable 1800 Watt Generator

NOTE: Coleman out of business

More info: http://www.colemanpowermate.com/

You can write your own review of the Coleman Pulse/Sport 1850.

AC2Q Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2007 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Field Day 2007  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our Group used this unit and a "no name" 1000W unit for Field Day 2007. We used the 2 alternately as they ran out of gas, to avoid refueling a HOT generator. This was about 4 hours duty for the Coleman, 2 hours for the "other". Our stations were 100W HF and 170 W on 2 meters, operating simultaneously, additionally we had a 500 Watt floodlight illuminating the AMERICAN FLAG atop our 45 ft antenna mast. Logging computers (laptops with thier switching power supplies)were powered also, in addition to desk lamps. We had no issues whatsoever.

WA2SLR Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2006 11:44 Send this review to a friend
GREAT VALUE  Time owned: more than 12 months
This compact workhorse will never be in the same league with inverter technology Hondas when running sensitive electronics, but if keeping the frige/freezer cold or starting moderate size heating equiptment and basic lighting is what you need it is a winner! A HAM who answered the phone a Coleman suggested a POWER CONDITIONER be used inline to smooth out ripple. His wife brings a 25 inch tv when on outings and the conditioner helped.The 12v dc charger is a plus!

AC2Q Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2006 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Good,But with Limits  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this Generator on Clearance last Summer with the Idea of it being able to provide
"limited" Service, as in being able to run My Nat. Gas Forced Air Furnace to bring the house up to temp, and a few lights. It is up to that PROVIDED your furnace blower is 1/3 HP or less. During the Ice Storms we had here in Central Illinois, I attempted to get my friends furnace going, only to find her furnace has a 1/2 HP Blower, which it would not run due to Voltage Sag on Surge causing the Blower Relay to Drop Out. So if you are looking to Run a few loads and swap the big loads out as needed, this will work fine, and is very good on gas, using about 1 gallon/4 hours.

WA6ABZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2006 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Great little generator!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for almost 5 years. It was purchased as a demo from Home Depot and works great!
It was recommended due to a high output for the size and weight. I bought mine to run the refrigerator in case of an extended power outage. Although I try to run it occasionally, it often sits for months at a time but always starts instantly and runs well. Its a little noisy but for $300 its been one of the best purchases I ever made.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2005 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these units for over 6 years now. It has never missed a lick while using it for field day. I have also used it to run power saws and the like while building a hunting cabin in a remote location. I have used it for 48 hours straight, with time out for refuel, during a power outage to run a 1500w heater(winters in Missouri out in the country) and it never missed a beat. Sure there are nicer units for twice the money. But for my money and my use it works just fine.

NN2G Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2004 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Good emergency power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rated it a Five because of the following. Low Cost, not really that heavy , pretty good fuel economy, able to fit in a trunk or back seat, can run a small 5000 BTU air conditioner in a pinch, enough power for running some essential items during a blackout. Of course It works fine in ham radio applications.

In addition to 120 volt output, there is also a 12 volt outlet too for battery charging. Newer versions of this generator has cigarette lighter type outlets for the 12 volt.

A perfect generator? No, just pretty good for the money and generally reliable as I never had any problems starting it.

What I did not like about this generator, no low oil shutdown. Also when the gas tank gets hot in the sun , it leaks gas from the cap I guess through a safety vent. I put it in a shaded area and it stopped the leak.

Would I buy another? Yes I would. Hint, If you want to save some money....look for refurbished units selling for $299 at Home Depot, Mazell's and Odd Lots occasionally.

If you can afford a Honda, then go for that...but for occasional ham and emergency use, you can't beat the value!