Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-830S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-830S
Kenwood TS-830S Reviews: 137 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $930
Description: 160M-10M SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-830S.

KD8IIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2018 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Best Non-DSP CW Rig Made  Time owned: more than 12 months
Found mine on eBay as a buy it now, right away I shipped it to Terry Wagoner, K9TW, for an overall overhaul.
Got it back and it is in like new condition!
I'm a CW man full-time so the big draw for finding one of these rigs was the Receiver!
This has got to be the absolute very best, quiet
Pre-General Coverage/Pre-DSP receiver made.
The VBT, Notch and I.F. Shift cannot be equaled.
The controls are linear, not rotary selectors as on the newer DSP rigs.
I'm adding the two 400Hz i.f. filters next.
If you're a serious weak signal intercept CW man you owe it to yourself to find one even if only to use as your receiver.
BTW; Turn down the gain til the ALC doesn't move
and you will have key-click free sending.
You will still have >100w output.
Turn it down even lower for QRP es QRPp!
VY 72/73 from Lane n8aft sk ..

KA4AQM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2017 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Broke the mold....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am thoroughly convinced that Kenwood broke the mold after the final production run of this radio. They probably thought, "how can we top this?". The 830 is (present tense of course) my first HF radio and I still have it. Bought it in St Louis in 1983 (34 years old) and still have original finals. Matched with SP-230, MC-50 and VFO-240. I echo the sentiments about this radio, if you see one for sale, buy it. If you are down on your luck and need money, sell this last; but only to a Kenwood user. No other user can appreciate this great radio.

SV1AGK Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2017 01:20 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
best receiver of many other new generation.

SV1AGK Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2017 04:08 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
the excellent easy receiver for ears, no any problems.

WM5M Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2017 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Amazing.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gold label, fully fitted with filters. Sold my 940S if that's a clue. Sold my FT 897D {Good radio}, Yaesu Ft-450 {toy}. Kept the Real radio. Sure I recapped it, but worth every penny. All my radios feed through a Timewave DSP but never use it. Why?

K9VA Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2017 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Pinnace of an era  Time owned: more than 12 months
Was intrigued by the many excellent reviews of the rig, as I fully agree with them. I was fortunate enough to be part of a club that bought the full 830 line for the club station in the early 80's, and I operated it for two years. It was a joy to operate - clean lines, intuitive, visually appealing. As the infamous country song goes it was "hotter than a $2 pistol, long and lean, every young boy's dream". I am jealous of the ops who have one today.

VK4JK Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2016 17:12 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT TRANSCEIVER !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first began using a Kenwood TS-830M in 1992.I operated that rig for many many years. I now use a TS-830S Gold Label Edition, that is fully kitted.
I doubt that there will ever be a Transceiver better Built, or of Audio quality!

YO3FXF Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2016 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Fobulous Transceiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I waited years to make sense of this transceiver ( KENWOOD TS830S Gold Label) finally has occupied the place of honor in my shack ... It looks and works fantastic, after so many years ... will never leave your side me as I live ! ... I have many transceivers in the shack , but KENWOOD TS830S is my soul ... I craved more in younger years to have him ... Take care of these transceivers because they are fabulous ! 73 YO3FXF

ZS1ZC Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2016 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Demure beauty with real class  Time owned: more than 12 months
For me the TS-830S is the pinnacle of 1980ís hybrid design, they simply donít get better, and this one has style as well as functionality. Not a sexy movie star like the FT-901DM and FT-101ZD, but a demure screen beauty with real class. Somehow Kenwood got the balance exactly right between form and function and produced a lineup thatís both beautiful and well engineered. The 830S lineup is without doubt my favourite rig.

Notable features are the great audio reports I get using the MC-50 microphone and just a touch of audio processing (the processor is really effective). The mechanics are excellent when you compare it with others of the era, the VFO tunes like it's sliding on oil. Receive audio is excellent. It has a lovely rhythm on CW when you set the VOX delay right because the relay isn't too intrusive.

One downside is that the noise blanker, while mostly effective, doesn't compare well to that on the Yaesu FT-101E or the Drake TR-7, but it's not a serious drawback. The narrow CW filter is a little too "ringy" for my ears, but that's a personal preference.

There are enough receive features on this rig to keep quite an advanced DX'er happy, especially when used with the outboard synthesized VFO-230. Other accessories are all excellent.

Do not pass up an opportunity to get one of these, and if you do pick one up it's worth putting in a bit of effort and cash to renew old parts and do a recap. You won't regret it.

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2016 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong since my 2009 review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Did a review on April of 2009 ( Page 4 of 13) I have only one of my two 830S's an sold one two years ago. The one I have now has all the filters and the heavy duty 6293 tubes. I either use it with the MC-50 Kenwood microphone that came with it or the Electro-Voice 630 microphone that I had gotten a few years back. I also have an ICOM 756 Pro III with the SM-20 mic and a Kenwood TS440S. I would still say that my favorite out of the three is the 830S. Properly working, these are still just so amazing. Since 2009 I have replaced ( not needed but done anyway ) the two relays that sometime stick ( mine never did ) and they used to be available at www.k4eaa.com. Face death rather than sell this rig if you have a working one.It is that good.