Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-830S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-830S
Kenwood TS-830S Reviews: 130 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $930
Description: 160M-10M SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-830S.

W0CKI Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Beats many current rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a TS-830S for about 4 years. Often I will switch from my 200 watt radio to the 830.The 830 receive is far more pleasant to my ears and the TX audio is also on a par or better than the other rig. I have the Kenwood desk mic and the matching tuner. A great combo, easy to restore and repair but learn to tune it properly. A keeper!

KK4CIR Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Hybrid  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is very difficult to achieve a 4.9 out of 5 on a radio transceiver that has been going strong for the last 35 years or so! Got my TS-830 from Ebay about 4 months ago and it was in a like new condition. Price was right so I took the chance since I had always wanted another Hybrid this time from Kenwood. When I received the radio I could not believe the conditions of it and I have to say that it was brand new, a 10 out of ten or a collection piece. Looks like prior owner never used it and took it out of storage to sell. There was not a single scratch or dust, super clean inside and out. The fan without any signs of being ever in service, all lights, displays and controls 100%. As soon as I hooked the radio and tuned for receiving on 20 I noticed the great Kenwood audio coming from its original speaker, noticed that it was a little off frequency but what can you expect from a radio this old. All controls and knobs working perfect and the VFO knob smooth and a pleasure to dial through the frequency. The radio was receiving well and what about transmit! Well after playing and tunning on all bands using my dummy load the radio transmits well over 100 watts on all bands. The ON AIR test brought me many compliments with 59 signals all over the country and some DX stations in Europe. Using this rig frequently with a Heil Gold mike and a Hex beam. Great combo! I recomend this radio for someone looking to experience what a fine radio is capable of doing after so many years of service or maybe remember the good old days! Great radio, if you have one get it on the air often and if you don't and want one, GET IT!

ZL1PWR Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 07:16 Send this review to a friend
At last shes here  Time owned: months
Kenwood ts-830s plus mc-10 fist mic nuff said

G4IKP Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2014 03:35 Send this review to a friend
TS-830s & Shure 444  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is not a review about the best HF tranceiver ever made ( I have done that before ) its about the best microphone to use with it.

The Kenwood MC50 desk mic is Ok, but the straight Shure 444 ( not the 444D ) is outstanding with the TS-830s.

If you listen around you will come across TS-830s that just seem to stand out above the rest. Chances are you are listening to a Shure 444

Ian Hickman G4IKP

DG3KCW Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 12:38 Send this review to a friend
just great!  Time owned: months
Well, let`s say it this way round: There is definitely no radio out there which may compare to the 830s. It is THE radio. I`m 50 years old now and hope to enjoy some more decades...Do you know what is sure? Yes, you got it right, the 830s will be my buddy all the times. What a radio!! Easy to use, easy to allign, a modulation which is often rated BBC quality with the stock microphone. What else do you need? Nothing, the only valid answer. Own some of them...what a lucky guy!

VU2TTP Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Hybrid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like most others bought this off eBay in 2004 for $400. Since then it has been my mainstay radio though a lot of other rigs have been bought and sold off. Had the two power supply electrolytic capacitors failing 2 years back after nearly 30+ years of operation, replacing them restored the rig to its full glory. I had replaced the original S2001 final tubes with the Raytheon made 6293 tubes, one of which developed a filament to cathode short due to which I had to revert back to the old S2001s. The best part is its rugged construction and minimal or no proprietary parts in it. Though the connectors on the PCB occasionally seem to develop dry or loose joints, one can easily forgive it considering the vintage.
It works like a charm along with the Shure 522 mic producing a very rich and a warm Tx Audio, a lot of people used to compliment the Audio punch and the richness and none believed that I had no EQ or any of the ESSB paraphernalia in my Shack. Armed with half a dozen 6146B pairs along with a bunch of 12BY7s, I expect this rig to out last me!!

K8TJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 16:10 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since I buy and sell ham radio equipment for a living I have owned no less than 40 TS-830S's over the years. Still to this day, this is one of the finest if not THE finest HF rig Kenwood ever produced. It puts modern day rigs to shame because of the low signal to noise in the receiver. Yawl can have new fangled digital $12,000 rigs... I would still take a TS-830S over any of them.

W0CKI Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Keep it you have one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for the last 3 plus years. It sits next to a FT 2000D. Often times the receiver puts the Yaesu radio to shame. It is so much quieter and the receive audio is far superior, the transmit audio is also better. Once you learn the other receive controls, in many cases it is also better than the current crop of solid state rigs. I wouldn't trade it. I find myself using it alot. It's just great fun.

W3AFC Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Classic Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one on eBay from a woman who owned a "curio & collectibles" shop for a reasonable price. She promised it worked perfectly and offered a liberal return policy, so I jumped on it. So far, I have not been disappointed. I've had several unsolicited comments about how great my audio sounds, and the built-in notch filter, variable bandwidth, if shift, and tone controls make it easy to clean out the hash that creeps in as the sun goes down at my QTH. There are businesses with neon signs and other noise generators nearby that I can't eliminate. Very easy to tune up quickly. Built like a tank and it's a pretty rig, too - my XYL would let me put this one in the living room. If you're looking for a classic hybrid rig, this is the one I would recommend. No wonder they're going for $600 or more online.

K7CWT Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine in the nineties, and never looked back. Built like a tank, and worth every penny spent at the time. I understand why they are now going for a premium price! I compare it to the venerable Collins KWM-2 in quality and performance. These transceivers will be around for many more years to come! Many have been pampered by their owners, so if you can find one don't hesitate to buy and enjoy!