Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-830S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-830S
Kenwood TS-830S Reviews: 137 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $930
Description: 160M-10M SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-830S.

WU3D Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Kenwood TS-830s for many many years. This rig is outstanding in every way. Kenwood really knew what they were doing when they concieved and built this rig. Solid well built and well fitted case.The different sizes and shapes of the front panel knobs make it so that you know which knob you are touching without looking. Well placed and just the right size and knob spacing. This is one radio that will NEVER be sold/traded for any reason. If you own one do not sell it, you wil regret it I promise you that!

KB8TL Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2015 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Amazing receiver for CW op  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a TS-830S a few years back and sold it. :-(
I recently picked up another one from CList with the desk mic & speaker for a song, it even had the impossible to find YG-455C filter installed. The rig appears that it had sat somewhere unused for years (decades?) on it's side as there was no dust on the boards, no dirt on the fan. 100% orignal. It didn't have the YK-88C filter installed, but I found a good deal on one at Ham-sters.com. So, now with both CW filters installed, I can compare it to my TS-590S and the two radios are neck and neck for digging signals out of the QRM. I thought the 21st century TS-590S would be the clear winner but not really, in fact it may be analog system of the 830 (or it's prettier front plate) but I think it is more pleasant to listen to (both using the same speaker). The only down side of the 830 for CW use is the noise of the relays when switching from transmit to receive and vise versa. I'm keeping this one.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2015 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Old classic still a great one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a Kenwood TS830 off the E-ham net web site that was in the classifieds.

I have heard lots of the 830's on the air and was impressed with the audio quality of the transmissions. So I decided to try one out.

The radio came with the factory hand mic and the original box. It was in very good condition and found that it worked perfectly. (sigh of relief).

The Kenwood is a bit different to use than a modern rig as you have to tune the finals to transmit. I seem to have gotten used to that rather quickly and tuning is now not an issue. I every once in a while forget to turn the heater on and the rig goes mute without it on. Eventually I will learn.

Since getting the 830, I have gotten tons of praise for the audio quality. Seems that the folks at Kenwood got it right with this rig.

I use a Marshall MXL990 microphone that has been modified with new electronics and a new larger capsule. The only thing left of the original mic is the frame and screen cover. I am using the Ibox by W2IHY to run the Marshall into the 830. THe 830 drives a Alpha 76PA 3 holer into either a 80/40 double bazooka by Ultimax or a home brewed Hex Beam.

The Kenwood TS830 is one sweet radio. Very easy to listen to and just a fun radio to use overall.

I sold off all my other radios and the Kenwood TS830 will be my choice for radio of this shack.
If you can, get one but do not overpay. Around 300-500 for a good one and a bit more for those with all the filters.

N3RTD Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2014 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Still a great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first want to comment that I cannot understand why some have chosen to give a low rating to this rig because after it was 20+ years old the Electrolytics burned up. Well that is very normal in tube radios after a period of time passes. And the reviews with a lowered rating because you have to tune it up, well you do not rate a car lower because you have to depress the gas pedal in and out quickly to set the choke on the older models to get it to start on a cold day, it is just part of what the technology was then, and should be rated accordingly. If you love Tube radios like me the tune up procedure is part of the charm of time gone by. Now onto a fair review, I having brand new rigs and old boat anchors, would rank the TS 830S as one of the best on the market. I know it is a used radio now, but as far as it's receiver is concerned it is better than most of the current production. The filters are absolutely great. I have the TS 820 S and love it as well, but the TS 830 is by far a leap over it. Having the filters and the WARC bands give it this leap. As far as the Audio they both are wonderful as all know. I ran a few tests and concluded that I am able to hear better on the TS830 than all my others, and this was mainly due to having the Notch and other variable filters. I was able to pull out weak signals I could not with my new radios which have the new dsp and so on. So if you have a chance to get an unmolested un-mutilated TS 830S be sure to get it even if they want EBAY gold prices for it, (of course within reason). I would not pay more than 400.00 for one now, but that is just me. I acquired mine from a silent key private sale, and I gave $200.00 for it, the low price only because I was not sure if it needed any work done to it. Being retired I could not give much more anyway. It had been completely gone through by a highly reputable repair shop in 2008, and needs nothing done to it. All the resisters that devalued were replaced, and the caps. So I was very blessed to get it. So in my estimation and opinion, It is still a force to be reckoned with in today's market for high quality radios, when being able to communicate, both transmit and receive is the main quality you are looking for, which in my opinion is the main reason we buy radios in the first place. Now all the other good qualities of the radio are just a bonus, like the Audio, the Tube finals and driver, the nostalgia, and the rock solid performance.

ZL1BAK Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2014 03:54 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can I say about the 830 that hasn't already been said. they really are that good.

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2014 04:04 Send this review to a friend
Miss mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the 830, VFO830, scope with pan scan, SP830,MC60 mic. Sold it as a packge and regretted it for the last 25 years.

LU7BSE Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 05:57 Send this review to a friend
True Radio...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best receiver , clean tx , a real amateur radio equipment , no comparison , has no rival, If you buy one do not doubt , you will not regret!

EXCELENTE!!!

W0CKI Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Beats many current rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a TS-830S for about 4 years. Often I will switch from my 200 watt radio to the 830.The 830 receive is far more pleasant to my ears and the TX audio is also on a par or better than the other rig. I have the Kenwood desk mic and the matching tuner. A great combo, easy to restore and repair but learn to tune it properly. A keeper!

KK4CIR Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Hybrid  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is very difficult to achieve a 4.9 out of 5 on a radio transceiver that has been going strong for the last 35 years or so! Got my TS-830 from Ebay about 4 months ago and it was in a like new condition. Price was right so I took the chance since I had always wanted another Hybrid this time from Kenwood. When I received the radio I could not believe the conditions of it and I have to say that it was brand new, a 10 out of ten or a collection piece. Looks like prior owner never used it and took it out of storage to sell. There was not a single scratch or dust, super clean inside and out. The fan without any signs of being ever in service, all lights, displays and controls 100%. As soon as I hooked the radio and tuned for receiving on 20 I noticed the great Kenwood audio coming from its original speaker, noticed that it was a little off frequency but what can you expect from a radio this old. All controls and knobs working perfect and the VFO knob smooth and a pleasure to dial through the frequency. The radio was receiving well and what about transmit! Well after playing and tunning on all bands using my dummy load the radio transmits well over 100 watts on all bands. The ON AIR test brought me many compliments with 59 signals all over the country and some DX stations in Europe. Using this rig frequently with a Heil Gold mike and a Hex beam. Great combo! I recomend this radio for someone looking to experience what a fine radio is capable of doing after so many years of service or maybe remember the good old days! Great radio, if you have one get it on the air often and if you don't and want one, GET IT!

ZL1PWR Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 07:16 Send this review to a friend
At last shes here  Time owned: months
Kenwood ts-830s plus mc-10 fist mic nuff said