Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-830S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-830S
Kenwood TS-830S Reviews: 120 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $930
Description: 160M-10M SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-830S.

JP1DJV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2011 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Still Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had many HF rigs such as TS850/870/590/930-950SDX, FT990-1000MPmkV,IC765-780 and so on. Comparing them, TS830 is still a good transceiver. The RX audio of both of SSB and CW is very clear so that I can copy very weak signals on 14MHz and 21MHz. I've also had IC7700 at the same time. And I did a a/b comparison with them. When I tried to copy very weak signals on 14MHz SSB, I could understand what he said with TS830, but not with IC7700. TS-830 was much better than IC7700 under this situation. But I don't think TS830 is a " I can't live without it" transceiver. We probably need making adjustments and repairing time to time. But if you use this transceiver for rag chew (for example), the audio in and out would be praiseworthy. The sensitivity is excellent, too. TS830 will work well as long as you take care of yours.

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2011 20:37 Send this review to a friend
One of the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been waiting for a few years of using the TS-830S to write this review.

In the last 4-5 years, I have owned a number of highly regarded rigs. ICOM IC-746Pro, Ten Tec OMNI VII, Ten Tec OMNI VI Option 2, and a few others, but all have been a disappointment in one way or the other.

My main rig is a TS-830S driving a Tokyo HY-Power amp. This rig is nothing short of fantastic. Yes the newer rigs have DSP, but when doing A-B tests, there was nothing that the other rigs could hear that I could not hear as well or better on the 830S. I have all of the filter slots filled, and when the bands gets noisy or crowded, I just adjust the variable band width, along with the Pass band tuning, and the signal just pops right out of the noise, and is easy to copy. This holds true for both SSB, and CW.

I always get positive audio reports from the other stations using a Shure 444D mic, and the receive audio on the 830S is very easy to listen to for long periods of time.

Another pluse, an IF output that I have connected to an LP-Pan which gives be a 190 khz Panadapter on my PC. This is the best of all worlds.

The controls are easy to use, and there are no menus to remember.

Are there better radios out there? You bet there are, but you will pay price for the little added performance, and the price is not just money. The price can be a lack of ease of operation, and a radio that is hard on your ears. If you look at the ratings on Sherwood Engineering web site, It is right up there, and I believe that you get to a point of diminishing returns tryng to get beyond this performance level.

As a final note, I can repair the TS-830S, and do not need to send it to a factory service center.

I suggest that if you have a chance to buy one in good shape, including all of the filters, go for it! Itís a keeper.

SV9DRU Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2011 14:41 Send this review to a friend
You WILL regret selling it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of those purchased used $300 in like new condition in 2003. At that time I was shocked to find its Rx outperforming my recently aligned and in perfect order FT-1000D. Yes the receiver was definitely smoother sounding, able to recover those weak signals with less background noise and more immune to nearby strong signals.

In a moment of poor judgment, a few months later I sold the 830s (the 1000D had been sold much earlier)and regretted it almost immediately. Many new and old rigs came in the shack through the last 8 years, but none had the magic of that TS-830s. I missed the solid feel, the serviceability and most of all the excellent Rx/Tx performance.
Finally located and purchased another fine example of the UK version (TRIO) late serial# and with the optional CW filter and the hard to find, KB2 solid tuning knob.
Could not be happier! Like getting back an old friend.
This one is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Just a word of caution: If you have one keep it or you will regret letting it go....this rig is highly addictive.

73s to all,
Marinos, sv9dru / ki4gin

ZL1CDP Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2011 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent old Hybrid  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I picked up this 830s it was a dog. the front Send switch had been changed to an electricians switch, receive was low and not aligned properly, issues with rectifier unit etc.....

Anyway, having purchased a new switch, next to new front fascia and repaired and re-aligned the TRX it is beautiful.... What a great old Hybrid Kenwood made!

Won't be getting rid of this for a while - it's such a joy to operate.

KC9RXB Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given the radio by Bob (WS6E) and he picked it up from a ham fest several years ago. Its safe to say this rig has been around the block a few times.

Everything on the rig worked great. The receiver was out standing and I got good reviews on the air from other hams.

But just recently the old 830S stopped putting out power on SSB, then the power went out on CW to. The receiver is still flawless and I'm sure the transmit only needs a little work to get back going again.

73's
KC9RXB

VK2RB Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2011 19:09 Send this review to a friend
AWSOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great radio for its time & still performs well compared to todays radios. I had the whole line up & only just sold it as I am unable to maintain the radio & accessories. Audio from the 830 is hard to beat.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Classic Modern!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my 830S! It has been a real workhorse! Its perfect for CW and keeps on ticking. If you can find one, grab it!

AI4WM Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2011 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Superb radio with great features. A joy to operate  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I started rating things at no more than a 4 since nothing is perfect. Neither is the TS-830S, but a 4 seems too low of a rating for such a nice transceiver.

I've had this radio for about 6 or 7 months and it is fast becoming the primary rig in the shack.

The receiver compares quite closely with my FT-101ZD. Both include the WARC bands & have all filters installed. They both have the same factory specs. and on the bench prove to be about equal in meeting or exceeding them. My ZD is a MK-II so it does not have all the features of the TS-830S so comparison ends with specs.

The construction quality of the TS-830S is excellent except for the cheap 18-2 non detachable line cord.

Control arrangement is great making using the radio very easy.

The receiver is excellent and the audio quality is super. There is a tone control (lacking on the ZD and most rigs) which makes tayloring the audio to ones preference and making hearing easier for those who may need the AF high end boosted. Being a former broadcaster I like the TX monitor feature when using phone. This is a bit hot and tinny for my preference, but a simple homebrew filter on the phones tapers the AF to suit my preference. The monitor function is not a true off-air monitor, but suffices if one wants to monitor their transmission.

Receive sensitivity is great and selectivity with the IF shift, notch and VBT is excellent; matching or surpassing my IC-735 RX.

One RX shortfall (as with many of the hybrids) no general coverage receive.

Using the rig with an external VFO makes storing up to 4 frequencies very easy and is a big help when listening to more than one station that one may wish to contact. It also will allow split operation.

Transmitted signal reports have always been good and tuning is no more difficult than any hybrid. Some operators are afraid of tuning the final on tube outputs, but it is simple and once it is practiced a few times into a dummy load there should not be a problem on the air.

I use a Kenwood MC-50 microphone although any microphone with a 500 ohm to 50k ohm impedance can be used with the radio.

The TS-830S will make a great radio for anyone starting out in HF or for those, who like myself, like the old radios that operate more like radios and have real knobs to turn and selectors and such instead than the modern computer and buttons radios out there.

These radios will probably be around longer than any of the modern solid state rigs and as all tube finals much more forgiving of high SWR (as in close to 2 or there about)Solid state rigs tend to dump at high SWR, but one must still be careful with hybrids as the final components can still be damaged.

Prices of these radios vary from hamfests to private sellers to epay with the epay site being the most expensive for prices and one still has to tack on the shipping charge which can easily add $50 to $60 to the final price.

So for a rig made in 1986 that sill looks like new inside and out, and operates like new -- how many of the modern rigs will still be around and working when they are 25 years old?

If you find one that is affordable and works; pick it up and enjoy HF.

HB9RVS Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2010 06:35 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bougth this radio several weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. I like the warmer audio sound compared to the TS-850.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2010 01:07 Send this review to a friend
STILL A TOP PERFORMER!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had several TS 830S over the years and have always kept at least one. They are fantastic HF radios. I love it so much I have the complete TS 830S station line. The recieve audio is smooth and rich, which I perfer to most modern rigs. The receiver is very sensitive with the ability to pull in weak signals.

Transmit audio is superb. The Kenwood MC 50 microphone works very well and is a great match, but my experience has been I've gotten better audio reports from the Shure 444 and Shure 444D mics.

This radio is truly a classic! If you have one, keep it. If you don't have one, get one.