Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-830S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-830S
Kenwood TS-830S Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $930
Description: 160M-10M SSB/CW transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-830S.

K8TJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 16:10 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since I buy and sell ham radio equipment for a living I have owned no less than 40 TS-830S's over the years. Still to this day, this is one of the finest if not THE finest HF rig Kenwood ever produced. It puts modern day rigs to shame because of the low signal to noise in the receiver. Yawl can have new fangled digital $12,000 rigs... I would still take a TS-830S over any of them.

W0CKI Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Keep it you have one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for the last 3 plus years. It sits next to a FT 2000D. Often times the receiver puts the Yaesu radio to shame. It is so much quieter and the receive audio is far superior, the transmit audio is also better. Once you learn the other receive controls, in many cases it is also better than the current crop of solid state rigs. I wouldn't trade it. I find myself using it alot. It's just great fun.

W3AFC Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Classic Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one on eBay from a woman who owned a "curio & collectibles" shop for a reasonable price. She promised it worked perfectly and offered a liberal return policy, so I jumped on it. So far, I have not been disappointed. I've had several unsolicited comments about how great my audio sounds, and the built-in notch filter, variable bandwidth, if shift, and tone controls make it easy to clean out the hash that creeps in as the sun goes down at my QTH. There are businesses with neon signs and other noise generators nearby that I can't eliminate. Very easy to tune up quickly. Built like a tank and it's a pretty rig, too - my XYL would let me put this one in the living room. If you're looking for a classic hybrid rig, this is the one I would recommend. No wonder they're going for $600 or more online.

K7CWT Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine in the nineties, and never looked back. Built like a tank, and worth every penny spent at the time. I understand why they are now going for a premium price! I compare it to the venerable Collins KWM-2 in quality and performance. These transceivers will be around for many more years to come! Many have been pampered by their owners, so if you can find one don't hesitate to buy and enjoy!

N3OD Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2012 18:59 Send this review to a friend
One of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been quite a few years since I owned my TS-830S.I am a 100% SSB person so I can't comment on it's CW capabilities. I had zero problems with it while I owned it. I operated mainly 160 Meters-rag chewing with some very tough critics and always got glowing reports for audio. I used a Heil HM-10 with the 5 element.I can say without a doubt that it was the best Japanese radio that I have owned-right up there with the Collins and Ten Tecs that I have owned since then. I have never owned some of the newer imports with all of the bells and whistles, but I can truthfully say that it is one radio that I am very sorry I didn't keep. They are going for about the same that I paid for it when I bought it used in the middle 90s. I will sometime pick up another just to have if I find one in the right condition and at a reasonable price.

HB9DDS Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2012 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent RX and really "the best" TX !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this TS-830 some weeks ago. My 4th in my career...I think I will keep this. Great to work, great RX (some "overload" problems on 40m in the evening on a Dipol), smooth, good sound and great TX audio with the MC-50. I just bought a DFC-230 which is a perfect second easy to use VFO.

Just missing a serial connection (TRX <-> computer) for easy band logging)....

Daniel, HB9DDS

JP1DJV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2011 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Still Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had many HF rigs such as TS850/870/590/930-950SDX, FT990-1000MPmkV,IC765-780 and so on. Comparing them, TS830 is still a good transceiver. The RX audio of both of SSB and CW is very clear so that I can copy very weak signals on 14MHz and 21MHz. I've also had IC7700 at the same time. And I did a a/b comparison with them. When I tried to copy very weak signals on 14MHz SSB, I could understand what he said with TS830, but not with IC7700. TS-830 was much better than IC7700 under this situation. But I don't think TS830 is a " I can't live without it" transceiver. We probably need making adjustments and repairing time to time. But if you use this transceiver for rag chew (for example), the audio in and out would be praiseworthy. The sensitivity is excellent, too. TS830 will work well as long as you take care of yours.

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2011 20:37 Send this review to a friend
One of the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been waiting for a few years of using the TS-830S to write this review.

In the last 4-5 years, I have owned a number of highly regarded rigs. ICOM IC-746Pro, Ten Tec OMNI VII, Ten Tec OMNI VI Option 2, and a few others, but all have been a disappointment in one way or the other.

My main rig is a TS-830S driving a Tokyo HY-Power amp. This rig is nothing short of fantastic. Yes the newer rigs have DSP, but when doing A-B tests, there was nothing that the other rigs could hear that I could not hear as well or better on the 830S. I have all of the filter slots filled, and when the bands gets noisy or crowded, I just adjust the variable band width, along with the Pass band tuning, and the signal just pops right out of the noise, and is easy to copy. This holds true for both SSB, and CW.

I always get positive audio reports from the other stations using a Shure 444D mic, and the receive audio on the 830S is very easy to listen to for long periods of time.

Another pluse, an IF output that I have connected to an LP-Pan which gives be a 190 khz Panadapter on my PC. This is the best of all worlds.

The controls are easy to use, and there are no menus to remember.

Are there better radios out there? You bet there are, but you will pay price for the little added performance, and the price is not just money. The price can be a lack of ease of operation, and a radio that is hard on your ears. If you look at the ratings on Sherwood Engineering web site, It is right up there, and I believe that you get to a point of diminishing returns tryng to get beyond this performance level.

As a final note, I can repair the TS-830S, and do not need to send it to a factory service center.

I suggest that if you have a chance to buy one in good shape, including all of the filters, go for it! Itís a keeper.

SV9DRU Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2011 14:41 Send this review to a friend
You WILL regret selling it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of those purchased used $300 in like new condition in 2003. At that time I was shocked to find its Rx outperforming my recently aligned and in perfect order FT-1000D. Yes the receiver was definitely smoother sounding, able to recover those weak signals with less background noise and more immune to nearby strong signals.

In a moment of poor judgment, a few months later I sold the 830s (the 1000D had been sold much earlier)and regretted it almost immediately. Many new and old rigs came in the shack through the last 8 years, but none had the magic of that TS-830s. I missed the solid feel, the serviceability and most of all the excellent Rx/Tx performance.
Finally located and purchased another fine example of the UK version (TRIO) late serial# and with the optional CW filter and the hard to find, KB2 solid tuning knob.
Could not be happier! Like getting back an old friend.
This one is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Just a word of caution: If you have one keep it or you will regret letting it go....this rig is highly addictive.

73s to all,
Marinos, sv9dru / ki4gin

ZL1CDP Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2011 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent old Hybrid  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I picked up this 830s it was a dog. the front Send switch had been changed to an electricians switch, receive was low and not aligned properly, issues with rectifier unit etc.....

Anyway, having purchased a new switch, next to new front fascia and repaired and re-aligned the TRX it is beautiful.... What a great old Hybrid Kenwood made!

Won't be getting rid of this for a while - it's such a joy to operate.