Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Drake T-4XC Help

Reviews Summary for Drake T-4XC
Drake T-4XC Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $530.00
Description: 10m - 160m HF receiver

You can write your own review of the Drake T-4XC.

KB9ZTF Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2010 20:44 Send this review to a friend
35 years old but better than my new stuff  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got the rig from a older ham and put in some new tubes I cant beleave the out put Im getting its a whole 150+ and its working great with the d104 its so cool to run a classic radio like this one and I use the r4b as the receiver its the best rigs in the shack

K4ALE Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2009 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Txmr  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am finally getting around to reviewing this transmitter, which I have been using for over 2.5 years. I got it on E*** for around $150. It needed a few minor repairs. There were done by a reputable shop--email me for a referral. It came back aligned and happy, and I have used it nearly every day I have operated since then. I obtained an injection cable from a source on the Internet, and use it paired with an R-4B, mostly for CW. It is a wonderful rig, easily putting out 100W, which is well below its "full-throttle" ability. I am able to reach virtually anyone I can hear [which is a lot with an R-4B.]

It also works very well on SSB, and also on AM. For SSB and CW, I sometimes use it with a Collins 30L-1, which allows it to reach as far as my antenna system permits [i.e., Asiatic Russia]. Audio reports are good with a Shure 444--an inexpensive microphone common for this outfit.

I think tube radios are wonderful fun, and 4-series [esp. B & C] Drake rigs are as good as and far cheaper than almost any "modern" transceiver. Like driving a car with a stick shift. Any fool can work on them [as evidenced by me].

You will need an AC-4 power supply, which is ofen sold with the transmitter, but otherwise easy to find. An AC-3 will work, but find an AC-4, if you can. Make sure you take the time to put in a new Heathkit Shop PS kit [for the AC-4]. This will put the rig in shape for years to come. Once you get familiar with it, also stock up on a set of tubes for replacements. They are still relatively cheap, and 90% of all problems can be fixed with a tube substitution.

Put the excitement back in your operation, with a minimal investment.

G4DJC Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2008 01:32 Send this review to a friend
lovely Tx  Time owned: months
I owned a T4XC in the 70's & found it be a lovely TX - used with the R4C gave a great combination.My one gripe would be the "bluey" goes transparent after a while, but spares were available from Drake. I fitted a Magnum6 RF prosc, which I found to be beneficial & used it with a SB200 lin.Replacing the PA's was easy with just a small neutralizing job to be done. Realigning the rig was easy, with full instructions given in the manual. 73, Dick, g4djc

WW3QB Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2007 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Still Great After All These Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in 1978 as a teenager when I got my first job. I wish I was still in such great shape! Clean signal and good power. Also WARC bands if you get crystals. Just no 60 meters.

N4FZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2006 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Drake T-4XC for over 27 years. The finals were replaced last Fall. The T-4XC has held up very well! I use a fan to keep final tubes cool. Built like a tank! One of the best transmitters ever made!

N4ARI Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2005 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Great in the 21st century  Time owned: more than 12 months
After many ham rigs over 30+ years and looking to round out my modern station (Icom 746PRO and TT Orion), the T4XC came to my station. After alignment and a couple tubes, I paired it up with an updated R4C. This transmitter is super clean, 150w out, gets great reports (AM & SSB) with the D104 mic. I use it on all the WARC bands too. I did install a small muffin fan on the back to save the finals AND brought the AM carrier level up (mod). It is a wonderful transmitter and measured right up against the best of the modern radios. Makes for a supreme transceiver with the R4C.

SV8YM Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2004 16:30 Send this review to a friend
A nice vintage TX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I just can't figure out why someone else hasn't already posted a review! Where R U, Drake aficionados? This vintage beauty deserves a "5", because it's well built, covers all bands (160 - 10 plus WARC bands with a few crystals) - and remains a genuine pleasure to use on the air - that is, if you appreciate "hollow state" rigs! If you keep its switches clean, it will go on working without trouble. Some people badmouth it because of its 6JB6A final amp - "Not a true-blue transmitting tube", they say. Well, I think that if the user knows his way around tubes, those 6JB6As should last a long, long time - my T4XC still has the original ones, and they're running strong - I get more than 140 W out on all bands. A small muffin fan at the back of the rig, blowing air out, will help the tubes a lot. Mate the T4XC with its "twin", the R4C, and you've got a fine "transceiver" with two VFOs. My thanks to Drake and Jim, W0NKL, who sold me mine.