Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A148-3S Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A148-3S
Cushcraft A148-3S Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: 2 meter, 3 element yagi antenna
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A148-3S.

N7JPF Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2013 08:53 Send this review to a friend
poor instructions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine a week ago, installed it on the roof, and it does exactly what I bought it for. Pointed in one stationary direction, I am easily able to check into a simplex net 40 miles away that I wasn't able to do with my vertical antenna. So it does that just fine. HOWEVER, the reason I didn't give it a 5 is the directions are horrible. I know how to put a yagi together, and had little problems assembling, but the directions are just terrible and confusing. THe quality of print is the worst I have ever seen for a product that was purchased new. The printed directions look like they cam off a scanner that wasn't focused right. In this day and age of excellent print materials, that is shameful. If you go to the Cushcraft website and download the directions there, you will see what I mean... they are the same pow quality of print.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2013 12:34 Send this review to a friend
On rotor !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok here's my second review on this little 3 element 2m mono bander but instead of being mounted halfway up the tower pointing south vertically polarized its now up at the very top of the tower on the mast and rotor , at a 50ft height still vertically polarized with LMR feed line it really performs well now. The method I been using with all my directional antennas is using insulator blocks between the mast to boom assembly, which I got the idea from my HF Mosley beam. So anyways back to this A148 3S, at the height it's at now and being able to point in the direction I need I been able to reach repeaters over 100 miles depending on conditions because I have noticed at night time after the sun has been down for a few hours I been reaching repeaters at 50 to over 100 miles with three quarters of a full S meter to full S meter readings. So point is for a little 3 element mono bander for 2m on the rotor at 50ft with good feed line is very important it performs much better than how I had it before mounted halfway up the tower pointing south.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2008 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give this a 5/5 because you get what you pay for. The only thing I don't like is the SO-239 connector. It's hard to seal and water gets in between the plastic spacer and the housing. Mine came with stainless hardware, and a stainless U-bolt. Not sure if they still do. Overall, it's a good lightweight antenna to stick on a pole above your roof. I'd buy another one if I needed one.

N9IXX Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2005 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Good compact antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Must have newer instructions they explained how to tune antenna although I did exactly per instructions and had no problems. Antenna was a snap to put together and its small light weight design is very easy for anyone to put up! Performence was very good SWR was pretty flat across the band about 1:5-1 or less, gain seems to be about a true 6 or 7db. This antenna should last 20 years or more if nothing hits it, or knocks it over. Would recomend this antenna to the first time antenna builder (although it seems a little pricy for what you get) any day!

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2005 07:13 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had one for about a year,and have good swr,good tx/rx,and can hit all repeaters with ease as far as 200k here in the mountains of b.c.all around good construction.would i buy another??? you bet.

AE6DC Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2004 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I had been planning on getting a larger, better-gain yagi, but I was in one of those impulsive moods and wanted to try something out. So I swung by HRO and this was the only yagi they had in stock. So .... brought it home.

Assembly was very fast and easy. The instructions don't say much, but it's easy to figure out from the pictures. What they don't seem to say is how exactly to tune it.

Starting off with the settings specified in the directions, the tuning was not-so-hot. Pretty similar to the other reviewer that said 'save your money'. But I played around with it a bit, and especially after I figured out that not only should I be adjusting where the tuning strap attached to the driven element, but also the position of the aluminum tube relative to the match-rod ... I had no problems getting exactly what I wanted. I got it set with SWR of 1.1 in the middle of the band, going to about 1.5 at the edges of the band. I'll take that!

Of course, the proof is in the pudding ... the reason I wanted a yagi was because I moved to a major RF hole. I couldn't hit any of the repeaters I normally use with either my j-pole or my Force-12. Given the geography, I wasn't holding out much hope that even with a decent gain yagi I'd pull up any of the repeaters.

Well, I just got off the roof. I sat up on the roof with a mobile rig and the cushcraft on a short fiberglass pole that I was holding up. I was able to bring up some of the repeaters! One I was able to get into with an S4 and receive an S9. This was one I couldn't hear or hit with either of my other antennas. Given the distance to the repeater and the large mountain between it and me, I'm really amazed at the results.

I can't say much about its durability since I've had it a whopping 2 hours, so I can't give it a 5/5. But at least so far I'm happy with performance.

N6DWC

KC8TRL Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2004 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Awsome antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this ant about a year and half ago, at first it was up 30ft in the air and I was running a Icom IC-271A 2m all mode radio it was putting out 25 watts and was able to talk 258 miles south of me for the money you can't beat in performence and price for a 3el beam i am going to transfer this ant to our Camper in Mich on a 30ft. mast pole like I said an awsome ant.this is a keeper

VE6XL Rating: 1/5 Sep 19, 2004 01:57 Send this review to a friend
Very poor SWR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna is quite small and very light. You would not need much to hold it up on any tower.

In my situation I found the antenna was easy to assemble once you made sense of the instructions. The Cushcraft instructions could have been better written.

The show stopper on this antenna for me was the horrible match across the 2m band. Tuning it per the instructions had almost no effect!

Using my SWR Analyzer I found the lowest match was 1.3 and this was outside the 2m band (143 MHz). It went up from there to 2.5 at 146 MHz.

I thought it was something I was doing, until I checked the instructions and verified the coax and other parts of the system provided a flat match using another antenna.

Not sure what to make of this one. Save the $50, perhaps look at something with more gain or a vertical.

KB8RMN Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2004 14:21 Send this review to a friend
good for what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of the first questions someone may ask is "why bother with a 3 element yagi on 2 meters with so many easy to make or buy vertical antennas out there that have clsoe to the same gain?" Well, one answer to that is that I live in an apartment complex that actually lets me put a mast and rotator outside 25ft. up, but when testing a homebrew 1/4 wave ground plane antenna at the position, I found a good bit of electrical noise and intermod that would have been difficult and expensive to reduce. So, I chose a directional antenna instead, and have been very happy as I've been able to have a good gain and output in most directions, and have made some good contacts. Another reason is if you are planning on running SSB at all, you really need to be horizontal. As far as just using a 3 element, well I live in an apartment so....

All that said, the antenna is very easy to assemble.. a trained monkey could do it easily enough. Installation was ok, although I had to rebend the U-bolt to make it fit through the holes on the boom (picky I know but still). If is also very light weight and a light duty TV rotator will handle it no problem (in fact I've got it on a 10 foot mast up from the rotator). It's output is satisfactory, and what you'd expect from a small 2 meter antenna. SSB contacts of up to 100 miles on 80Watts from my loctaion (which is about an average terrain height for my area, not the highest nor the lowest) are possible with just slightly above normal band conditions, and FM simplex of about 50 miles is easily possible. It is able to hit repeaters 70 miles away as well, and keep in mind on FM it is polarized horizontally here, so vertically it would definitely do better. Of course like most of cushcraft's VHF antennas, SWR is just fine.

There are a couple of oddities with the antenna, however. For whatever reason, on SSB about half the signals I work come in stronger off of the backside of the beam.. not sure why but it have been interesting.. could be the antenna or could be some kind of odd local RFI. Also, the tuning strap with mine was slightly too large and needed ajustment - cushcraft also said they were sending me a replacement but that was two weeks ago, and still no strap. It's an easy enough fix, but a mild aggravation nonetheless.

For what it is, it's a good antenna. If you have the room, go for 10 or more elements, but if you are short of room and have some RFI from one direction, this may be the solution.